hi i've been playing electric guitar for quite awhile now but i've never seriously played acoustic. I know theres an "acoustics under 300" thread but i also have some otehr questions. First of all, I need a new acoustic for under 200 dollars. Can someone suggest some brands/guitars for me? Also, what are some factors that make an acoustic guitar good/bad? Is it easier to play higher notes with a cutaway than a dreadnought? What else should i know before going to buy an acoustic?
Half Man, Half Bearpig! I am Super Sereal!

Quote by jravolta
Every time the Jonas Brothers play, an innocent in Darfur is killed.

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee
I am not 12, but my sack is still hairless.

Quote by magnum1117
my balls are hairy as chewbacca's...
well i can help you with one thing. only been playing for about 18months, but definately get a acoustic with a cutaway if you wanna play high notes.

im not sure about how it affects the sound tho, but mine seems to be alright.
what are some factors that make an acoustic guitar good/bad?

Type and quality of tonewood used (this has many sub categories: Wood used on top, back, sides, neck, fretboard, bridge)
Size, shape and material used for nut, saddle and bridge pins.
Quality and type of machine heads.
Quality of craftsmanship.

The defining characteristic between a poor acoustic and a potentially good one is whether or not it has a solid top. If youre willing to spend enough, solid back and sides are another step up in sound quality. There are exceptions of course though.

I need a new acoustic for under 200 dollars.

Id recommend spending at least $200. (Brand new) solid top guitars dont come much cheaper than $200.

Can someone suggest some brands/guitars for me?

In the lower price ranges id recommend takamine, yamaha, washburn or alvarez. Dont limit yourself to those brands tho, play as many guitars as you can and then decide which one is best for you.

Is it easier to play higher notes with a cutaway than a dreadnought?

I find it easier to access the higher frets on a guitar that has a cutaway. I think youve slightly misunderstood though. A guitar can be a dreadnought and have a cutaway.The term dreadnought refers to the shape of the guitar. Having a cutaway doesnt mean a guitar cant be a dreadnought aswell.
I think you need a Yamaha FG700S. You should be able to get it for 200bucks or slightly under.

Make sure oyu get a solid top guitar
Oh, and dont worry about cutaways, yes it is easier to play higher frets, but msot acoustic stuff doesnt need them, and it will add to the price, and you can afford that at your budget
ok thnx
Half Man, Half Bearpig! I am Super Sereal!

Quote by jravolta
Every time the Jonas Brothers play, an innocent in Darfur is killed.

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee
I am not 12, but my sack is still hairless.

Quote by magnum1117
my balls are hairy as chewbacca's...
Well, i have bought a Jasmine by Takamine (s34c) recently and has cutaway, 21 frets, satin finish and just for 99$. Of course, it has a laminated spruce top and cheap mahogany (nato) at the sides and back. Anyway, it plays great, no fret buzz at all, the action is medium (3-4mm from 12th fret) and the tone is excellent for a starter of the acoustic world.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS