My thump is messed up, nerve damage. Got some movement, Its basicly the joint to the nail thats dead. As if i was to give thumbs up, from the middle to top wouldn't stand. This makes slapping hard enough, and aiming for a string impossible. Its really starting to break my heart. I've been playing for two years and busted my ass to get where i'm at. Its hard enough going threw life sucking at thumb wars.
tried playing like flea where your thumb kind of hangs down perpendicular to the strings? i'm guessing that would be easier, maybe?
hmm damn man i feel sorry for you i think it might be a practice thing.... but you could learn to play finger funk really well to substitute with that but man i really hope someone can provide more insight than me
I am me. Live with it.
I'm not positive, your talking about the same thing, but if you are then I will tell you how I do it. I take my hand, and like i was going to pimp slap a hoe i slap my strings (but with my Pinky and and hand. And while im doing that i pick it at the same time and it creates a sort of slap like i've heard in jack Johnson songs, and others. Is that the slap your talking about?
I'm willing to try anything. And determented as all hell, would any of you happen to know of any lessons online for these techniques?
Look up John Entwistle's typewriter technique. It's off his Hot Licks DVD. It basically involves having your fingers parallel to the strings and smacking them down towards the fret like a typewriter's arm doed to paper.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
You could try slapping like victor wooten.
Go youtube it, and see what he slaps like.
Splint your thumb? Or is that as stupid a suggestion as it sounds?
How may The National D help you waste your time?
Quote by The National D
Splint your thumb? Or is that as stupid a suggestion as it sounds?

Haha ya know? maybe. But if ya supposed to slap with the inner tumb, I'd figure it still wouldn't work. I wish i wasn't so reckless as a little boy. I think im gunna give that typewriter stlye a shot. Thanks alot everyone.
Last edited by kiennM at Oct 2, 2007,
Quote by Metallica rulz
I'm not positive, your talking about the same thing, but if you are then I will tell you how I do it. I take my hand, and like i was going to pimp slap a hoe i slap my strings (but with my Pinky and and hand. And while im doing that i pick it at the same time and it creates a sort of slap like i've heard in jack Johnson songs, and others. Is that the slap your talking about?

lovley analogy

lmfao!

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
My instructor does this weird thing where, instead of slapping with his thumb, he does it with the part of his palm where his thumb meets his hand. Not sure how, though.
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
the ox's technique seems like it would work for you. Fitz is a good problem solver usually
Quote by Mongoose87
My instructor does this weird thing where, instead of slapping with his thumb, he does it with the part of his palm where his thumb meets his hand. Not sure how, though.

I saw a kid playing like that at guitar center last week.
Quote by Damaged Roses
I don't really understand why basses have 24 frets, I mean, I've never seen a bassist playing more than the 12 fret.

My Gear-
Warwick Double Buck
Epiphone EB0
GK MB 210
Fender Rumble
Ryan Martinie of Mudvayne does a typewriter type technique u can look at
he uses it during the chorus of happy
u cud get a think stick or top string

and tape the hel out of it so you would have the end held straight

then slap away

?
Quote by AvengedThrice
Best thread name EVER.

Just attack 'em with some pliers dude.

about me XD

Quote by Jack Off Jill
Quote:

I wish I was gay.
Quote by kiennM
Got some movement, Its basicly the joint to the nail thats dead.

The part you slap with is slightly below the joint, where the thumbs "knuckle" on the side is. Even if your thumb's completely dead, you should still be able to wack this hard part of the side of your thumb off the E string.

Make sure you're slapping very close to the fretboard and your string action isn't too high to get a good strong slap sound.

But if for some reason this still isn't working out, and you're "determined as hell", you could try to learn to play bass left handed. I assume your other thumb is working fine?