I was wondering what everyone here thinks of using capos as an aid to playing guitar. My older brother who has played for over 20 years said to me once that capos are for people who cant play guitar properly. I mean dont barre chords serve the same purpose? Im not trying to sound naive but Ive even see people use capos when starndard barre chords would do the same trick. Do you think its a lazy way out or do you think there are more purposes than Im getting?
radiantmoon is the toughest person I know. He inflects a sense of impending doom upon any who look upon his stone-chiseled face. The children run out of fear, while the men run for they know that the stories are true.
Well, there are some chords you can't play without a capo. Nobody uses them, but meh. But what the hell is wrong with using a capo if that means the difference beetween bloody-hard-and-annoying and fun-to-play?
Well the capo can be used to play more complex chords at a higher pitch. chords that you wouldnt have enough fingers for normally.
his view on capos is what people thought for a long time, but they're alot more accepted and used now.
I've never though about it that way... but to be honest its just so much easier to use a capo when you want to play higher frets and use open chords and not have to worry about barre-ing. and not everyone can barre well either due to injury or skill so I have no probelm with it.
Blah. Capo's are extremely useful to songwriters who have vocal ranges that don't suit the standard tuning of the guitar. I often use one because on acoustic especially, it's extremely draining on your fretting hand to play barre chords through an entire song... especially when there's the option of slapping a capo on and instantly having my instrument match my voice, and not have to worry about constantly changing my hand position on the neck - which, I might add, is generally considered inefficient and bad technique.

If your brother is full of snobbish opinions like that after 20 years of experience, I don't think he could have learned that much if he doesn't understand that a capo is just a tool to help get a job done, not something to cheat with. It's just like people saying that alternate tunings are a lazy persons way of playing guitar, or using a pick instead of fingers is a lazy persons way of playing bass.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Quote by Metallica rulz
I've never though about it that way... but to be honest its just so much easier to use a capo when you want to play higher frets and use open chords and not have to worry about barre-ing. and not everyone can barre well either due to injury or skill so I have no probelm with it.

It doesn't only have to do with skill, sometimes it's for expanding your possibilities. A capo allows you to use "open strings" higher up on the fretboard. That also means you can use chord voicings that would otherwise be impossible.
Quote by radiantmoon
My older brother who has played for over 20 years said to me once that capos are for people who cant play guitar properly. I mean dont barre chords serve the same purpose? Im not trying to sound naive but Ive even see people use capos when starndard barre chords would do the same trick.

Aside from the other benefits which people have described, if your brother can get that open string ringing sound from a barre chord, then he must be the only player in the world who can do this - give him my congratulations !
Quote by kyrreca
It doesn't only have to do with skill, sometimes it's for expanding your possibilities. A capo allows you to use "open strings" higher up on the fretboard. That also means you can use chord voicings that would otherwise be impossible.

true, but couldn't you just barre it farther down on the neck? the farthest i can get on mine are like D#,(11th) barre chords. i can't imagine someone sticking a capo that far down!!!! lol.

but anyways yea i kinda get what your saying, there is this video of paul gilbert on youtube where this guy acts as his capo, and paul just shreds your face off.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHPA28ficL0 there if you wanna check it out
Quote by reeced
Aside from the other benefits which people have described, if your brother can get that open string ringing sound from a barre chord, then he must be the only player in the world who can do this - give him my congratulations !

+1
you just cant get the same sound without a capo.
Quote by Metallica rulz
true, but couldn't you just barre it farther down on the neck? the farthest i can get on mine are like D#,(11th) barre chords. i can't imagine someone sticking a capo that far down!!!! lol.

but anyways yea i kinda get what your saying, there is this video of paul gilbert on youtube where this guy acts as his capo, and paul just shreds your face off.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHPA28ficL0 there if you wanna check it out

You can't play a C#madd9 like this:
x
without a capo

Edit: Yeah, that Gilbert video is cool. Wish I knew someone who could act as my human capo.
Last edited by kyrreca at Oct 1, 2007,
Quote by kyrreca
x
without a capo

Edit: Yeah, that Gilbert video is cool. Wish I knew someone who could act as my human capo.

kyrreca, u just owned everyone who disagrees with them.
Quote by reeced

what are you talking about. The capo acts like a barre so none of the notes are going to sound open because they are all barred with a capo instead of your first finger. Should we just scrap barre chords and use capos instead
radiantmoon is the toughest person I know. He inflects a sense of impending doom upon any who look upon his stone-chiseled face. The children run out of fear, while the men run for they know that the stories are true.
Quote by kyrreca
x
without a capo

why would you want to use that fingering anyway??
Quote by radiantmoon
why would you want to use that fingering anyway??

Because it sounds good.
do you mean the actual 11th and 9th fret or the 11th and 9th fret relative to the capo
I mean capo on the fourth fret, fingers on the actual 11th and 9th frets of the D and G string.
if you put a capo on the third fret and play a standard G maj chord shape, it will be a Bb maj. How else can you get a Bb maj to sound like that? You can't. Maybe you're brother can (no he can't).
Agile AL-3100 (highly recommended)
SX SST57 strat copy
OE30 Hollowbody
SX fretless bass
Epiphone PR-200 acoustic
Yamaha G-40 classical
Epiphone Valve Junior head
1x12 custom cab
4x12 Behringer Half-stack

My Solo Stuff

My Band

Quote by radiantmoon
what are you talking about. The capo acts like a barre so none of the notes are going to sound open because they are all barred with a capo instead of your first finger. Should we just scrap barre chords and use capos instead

I could take exception to your attitude, but I won't.

Let me explain - the capo holds the strings down on the fret evenly and firmly, with absolutely no damping of the string, just like a guitar with a zero fret. You cannot achieve this with a finger, no matter how much pressure you put on it.
Quote by Caustic
Blah. Capo's are extremely useful to songwriters who have vocal ranges that don't suit the standard tuning of the guitar. I often use one because on acoustic especially, it's extremely draining on your fretting hand to play barre chords through an entire song... especially when there's the option of slapping a capo on and instantly having my instrument match my voice, and not have to worry about constantly changing my hand position on the neck - which, I might add, is generally considered inefficient and bad technique.

If your brother is full of snobbish opinions like that after 20 years of experience, I don't think he could have learned that much if he doesn't understand that a capo is just a tool to help get a job done, not something to cheat with. It's just like people saying that alternate tunings are a lazy persons way of playing guitar, or using a pick instead of fingers is a lazy persons way of playing bass.

I agree with everything you've said. Honestly, it's not as though the capo plays the guitar for you.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
I dont see why there is so much hostility. I mean there is alot you can acheive with barre chords. Most people want to take the easy way out and play something that can be acheived just the same as barre chords. I dont think people seem to get my point. Why dont we just skip learning barre chords and capo everything?
Quote by radiantmoon
I dont see why there is so much hostility. I mean there is alot you can acheive with barre chords. Most people want to take the easy way out and play something that can be acheived just the same as barre chords. I dont think people seem to get my point. Why dont we just skip learning barre chords and capo everything?

thats a really closed minded view. as a guitarist, you need to accept a wide variety of things, genres as well as techniques. e.g. i dont like hardcore, but i appreciate the musicians because i know alot of its hard to play.
First, look at this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3iSiij98VY
And then this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKjDFMqkdKA

And then tell me that capos are "the easy way out".

And btw, I have never used a capo in place of a barre chord, I only use it if I want to change the key of a song and use open chords (well, I guess it is in the place of a barre chord, but barre chords are easy for me, so it's not like I'm cheating).
Quote by which ones pink
First, look at this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3iSiij98VY
And then this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKjDFMqkdKA

And then tell me that capos are "the easy way out".

And btw, I have never used a capo in place of a barre chord, I only use it if I want to change the key of a song and use open chords (well, I guess it is in the place of a barre chord, but barre chords are easy for me, so it's not like I'm cheating).

hey wind and the wheat is one of my favourite songs I was actually looking for reason why the capo is used instead of barre chords, what are the purposes?
Quote by radiantmoon
hey wind and the wheat is one of my favourite songs I was actually looking for reason why the capo is used instead of barre chords, what are the purposes?

I'd like to see you play that song with barre chords. It's impossible, unless you're a mutant and you have six fingers on your left hand.
Quote by which ones pink
I'd like to see you play that song with barre chords. It's impossible, unless you're a mutant and you have six fingers on your left hand.

could you explain why its not possiblel, im interested.