This is a copy of my post out of the laney thread, thought it might deserve a thread in its own right.

im gonna cut to the chase here, basically laney amps are just about the cheapest good quality amps available to me (GH50L = $1300, dual rectifier = $3000+) and i've been looking at possibly a GH50L or a 30 watt LC or VC series, maybe a 50 watt version of either.

basically i know the sort of sound i want but i dont have the opportunity to try all the models out myself which is why i've come here to ask you guys. For a general idea of the kind of sound im thinking of you can check out the two tracks ive recorded that are on my profile. the tone ive got on them is straight from my RP150 so its not great but you should be able to get the idea, basically a Judas Priest/Iron Maiden/80's Metal sort of sound.

If you could let me know how the different laneys go about handling that sort of thing that would be fantastic. I think laneys in general would handle the kind of sound im after pretty well but i just want to see what you think and wether extra stuff like a tube screamer or a metal muff or something would help out.

The only other thing that would be good to know is how much extra gain i'd have in the bank because even though i really love the more classic metal tone it would be great to know how more modern the amps can go.

If anybody wants to help me out that would be great, thanks
the laney tt is pretty good for that type of tone, but it gets quite expensive...

haven't tried the gh, hear pretty good things though.

engl blackmore (depending on its price in australia) or peavey windsor (if you don't need nice cleans) would also be worth considering.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
the laney tt is pretty good for that type of tone, but it gets quite expensive...

haven't tried the gh, hear pretty good things though.

engl blackmore (depending on its price in australia) or peavey windsor (if you don't need nice cleans) would also be worth considering.

hmm, thanks for that i just looked up the windsor and i can get the 100watt head with a 4x12 cab for the price of a GH50L head on its own. gotta be happy with that...

another thing i was thinking about was a randall rg50tc or the head version because that would probably cover me better on the high gain options. and yeah, cleans, well good cleans at least are pretty unnecessary.