I was looking at buying a new amp in the near future, but I'm not sure what to go with. Right now I have a very small Marshall, but it was used when I bought it and the speaker scratches if I use any volume on it. I'm not looking at spending a whole lot, but maybe $200 to $300. Any advice would be great. Thanks!!
what styles of music do you play?
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
whatever u do DONT GET KUSTOM. its by far the worst rubbish ul ever have the misfortune of laying ur eyes upon!
vox valvetronix xl or roland cube then.

off-topic, are you fron holland ?
Last edited by The red Strat. at Oct 1, 2007,
peavey all the way. for $300 you can get an 80 watt bandit with one 12" and it's loud as crap. but i don't know if you'd need something quite that powerful yet. depends on if you're in a band or not really. lol. but for the price, peavey owns.
they're quite nice, but they definitely don't 'own'. ^
if he needs a loud gigging amp (which i doubt) then a bandit could be good.
otherwise not.

horlicks: those crush amps are rather bad imo...
off-topic, is that guy in your sig seriously misinformed or is he not serious ?
I was looking at Peavey, Marshall, or Crate. I really don't want to go above $300, but will if need be. Something for home use... not playing in a band... not yet anyway.
Quote by The red Strat.
they're quite nice, but they definitely don't 'own'. ^
if he needs a loud gigging amp (which i doubt) then a bandit could be good.
otherwise not.

horlicks: those crush amps are rather bad imo...
off-topic, is that guy in your sig seriously misinformed or is he not serious ?

seriously misinformed
Also I play a Gibson Les Paul if that makes any difference on what kind of amp I should get.
Quote by dutch5367
Also I play a Gibson Les Paul if that makes any difference on what kind of amp I should get.

Quote by dutch5367
I was looking at Peavey, Marshall, or Crate. I really don't want to go above $300, but will if need be. Something for home use... not playing in a band... not yet anyway.

Honestly, nothing by Marshall or Crate for $300 is worth a hoot.
Peavey Bandit, Vox Valvetronix, Roldan Cube...those are all really nice bedroom amps.
Washburn HM Idol w/ SD JB in bridge > Ibanez Weeping Demon > Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey > Boss NS-2 > Boss DD-6 > Egnater Renegade > Splawn 2x12 w/ Weber Sig12Bs

Probably a combination of stupidity and mis-reading forums posts, either way, he shouldn't be recommensing an amp if he doen't even know the right name
Quote by dutch5367
It's a Gibson. I looked at the Epi, but couldn't stand up to the Gibson

yeah that's true.

you shoudn't have bought such an expesnive guitar and then a cheap amp but you already got it so...
vox valvetronix or roland cube would suit you fine.

off-topic, are you from holland?
Last edited by The red Strat. at Oct 1, 2007,
The amp I actually got with another guitar... the first one I bought off of a friend and I bought an Ibanez guitar and the small Marshall amp. Now I've upgraded the guitar now I need to upgrade that amp.

No I'm not from Belgium
Quote by dutch5367
The amp I actually got with another guitar... the first one I bought off of a friend and I bought an Ibanez guitar and the small Marshall amp. Now I've upgraded the guitar now I need to upgrade that amp.

No I'm not from Belgium

ohh i see. well like i said 3 times now , valvetronix xl or roland cube would suit you fine. i'd prefer the vox, though.

why the hell is your name 'dutch....' then
Long story... back in the day Predator was my favorite movie and Arnold's name in the movie was Dutch so I've used it ever since because its easy for me to remember.
Quote by WtrPlyr
Dutch is from Holland, so why do you think he is from Belgium

dutch gaat voor alletwee toch, nederland en belgie ? of is da een van mn zovele misopvattingen ?
Quote by WtrPlyr
Dutch is from Holland, so why do you think he is from Belgium

dutch gaat voor alletwee toch, nederland en belgie ? of is da weer een van mn zovele misopvattingen ?
Hey Dutch, one of my favorite movies also. Peavey Bandit is one of the best sounding solid-state amps out there aside from very expensive ones. Sounds pretty "tubey." You certainly could do a lot worse. Its your first amp so you have a decision to make. For $300 you can get a 5 watt tube combo and a couple of pedals (you will need a distortion pedal for these if you play anything close to metal.) Its going to be much louder than you think and sound better than the vast majority of solid-state amps. Since you are a beginner though the Peavey may be a better option. Rugged as a tank and will last for years (my Backstage Plus is from 1984.) Tubes would put you ahead of the game as far as the average beginner (sound-wise.) Either amp would make a really good practice amp later on when you upgrade. If you think you will need the power to gig obviously you are talking Bandit, but if you just need great sound for the bedroom or garage for jamming, think about tubes. Don't neglect to check the used market. Good luck.
Roland Cube 30 is an awesome first amp and it fits your budget. I always say that people should start with a solid state, gives you more respect when you move up to a tube amp. Plus theres no maintenance, and you can kick it around more.
Quote by WtrPlyr
Voor taal wel, nationaliteit niet

ah ja da dacht ik al eigelijk
ok kga die posts nu editen
Quote by Unskathed
Honestly, nothing by Marshall or Crate for $300 is worth a hoot.
Peavey Bandit, Vox Valvetronix, Roldan Cube...those are all really nice bedroom amps.

+1!

For up to G'n'R and Metallica type stuff, I think the Vox Valvetronix is your best bet. The AD30VT is nice sized amp. It has an attenuator on the back to get you the best tones possible in the bedroom, but it has enough power to handle jams or even small gigs when the time comes. When the time comes for you to upgrade to a "proper tube amp," this Vox could faithfully continue to serve as a backup and practice amp.

They have a new model designed to do higher gain stuff as well. The base model (which would probably be fine) sells for $240, the new one goes for $300. If the type of music you're doing isn't post-whatever-core, you should be fine with the $240 model. Might be able to find a used one for a lot less, too (I sold one for $165)!
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.