i've been playing for around 2 years now.

yesterday while playing i started to feel a slight pain around the tendon where my pinky joins my hand. at the knuckle. i forgot about it and today it's back.

i was doing some 3 note per string sweeping stuff (where you require your thumb against the neck of the guitar) and it involved lots of pulling and hammering with the pinky. i wasn't using an amp so it requires more effort to get a sound out of it i think.

anyway, now if i try to do this, sometimes i feel a pain around the place i mentioned, plus along the pinky fingers' tendon down to my wrist.

also, i can also feel the pain at my wrist where the pinky tendon connects sometimes when i do a bend.

i've begun to realise too that when i pull off with my pinky, it's not as fluid as my other 3 fingers, it just sort of jerks away suddenly from the fretboard in 1 fast motion. i don't know if this means anything.

it's not a searing pain, just sort of an annoying thing which you can't ignore.

i'm starting to guess it might be because i pretty much have used my pinky for literally about 5-10% of the time before the last few days. it's school holidays and i've been playing a lot (4-8 hours of screwing around, 2 of actual practice maybe).

i've never had any problems in my hands/wrists at all in the 2 years of playing i've had.

could it be i have seriously damaged something or maybe my pinky isn't used to it?
I think that you should just take it easy for a couple of days. I've had similar pains before, not just in my pinky, after prolonged playing. Just ease off on playing with that finger for a while, and it should go away.
I sell ponies.
so you think it's because my pinky hasn't really done this much work before?

i guess i'll have to just sit it out for a while, it's gonna be hard, i think there's only been 3 or 4 days where i havn't played guitar since i've got my electric. if it's still sore after a few days i guess i'll have to see a doctor.

edit: yes, if i don't use my pinky, i don't feel any pain, and then if i do a hammer on or a pull off i can feel it, it's pretty obvious. mainly on the outer side of my pinky's knuckle.
Last edited by Owned at Oct 1, 2007,
You don't have to completely drop playing guitar for a few days.
Just take it easy
god, i hope i don't need treatment or something, i'm hoping to hell it's just strained a bit...
Don't freak out. You'll be fine. Just think of it like a minor muscle pull that irritates you for a day or two.
I sell ponies.