Poll: Did you know about the change? What do you think of it?
Poll Options
View poll results: Did you know about the change? What do you think of it?
I knew about it, and I think it's a good thing.
63 33%
I knew about it, and I believe under 18s should be able to kill themselves slowly as well.
33 17%
I hadn't heard about it but I'm with the fascists. Er, government. Long live Gordon Brown.
21 11%
I hadn't heard about it but I think it's stupid.
18 9%
Rankles Option - I knew about it and I think it's downright hilarious.
55 29%
Voters: 190.
Page 1 of 3
So I just found out (after buying some Rizlas and getting Id'd for them) that the law changed today, and all us poor self-inflicted cancer sufferers have to prove we're 18 now.
Not a problem for me, and I'd heard of the proposals, but I would have thought that after all the fuss over that damn smoking ban someone would have told me? Anyone else not hear about this?
Yeah it was kinda kept quiet and overshadowed by the smoking ban but it's still delicious.

I can't wait to go to work tonight and ID everyone.

Yes, we do get a kick out of it.
<Dobzilla> because "when you were born, they thought yo' momma shit herself."
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
Doesnt affect me because i dont smoke, but its pretty **** for 16 yr olds who were legally allowed to smoke yesterday but not today.
Quote by sg4eva
It's 19 here in Canada.

Not all of Canada. It's 18 in Manitoba (same with alcohol).
It's 18 here. And the funny thing is as of november 1, all smoking in public places (ie. clubs, pubs) will be banned here (South Australia, Australia). Good for me cause im not a smoker
Member of the Pink Floyd fan club. PM nick dixon or TimiHendrex33 to join

Quote by abcdboy
So you crapped out of your mouth?

ARE YOU A PLANARIA?!
Quote by Rankles
Yeah it was kinda kept quiet and overshadowed by the smoking ban but it's still delicious.

"Can I see your ID? Oh... ohh.... oh Yes! YES!
... I mean, no. You have to be 18. Go away."
I just don't like the fact nobody told anyone. Bastards.
Quote by TheNthDimension

"Can I see your ID? Oh... ohh.... oh Yes! YES!
... I mean, no. You have to be 18. Go away."
I just don't like the fact nobody told anyone. Bastards.

That's what really makes me laugh, how the papers have been so caught up in the smoking ban that they missed a very important piece of legislation that was passed at the same time.

We've known in the shop for a couple months. We even put signs up.
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
Quote by Rankles
That's what really makes me laugh, how the papers have been so caught up in the smoking ban that they missed a very important piece of legislation that was passed at the same time.

We've known in the shop for a couple months. We even put signs up.

I've seen shops with signs up for months.

in fact I was surprised that it was only enforced from today.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by TheNthDimension
So I just found out (after buying some Rizlas and getting Id'd for them) that the law changed today, and all us poor self-inflicted cancer sufferers have to prove we're 18 now.
Not a problem for me, and I'd heard of the proposals, but I would have thought that after all the fuss over that damn smoking ban someone would have told me? Anyone else not hear about this?

Wait, you got carded for buying papers?! That's retarded!
Quote by jimtaka
i'd say your guitar is out of tune, or you are accidentally muting strings that you aren't trying to, or your right hand isn't strumming at the same time that your left hand is fretting, or you could be reading the tab upside down...
You have to lol at the college kids trying to get you to buy them their cancer sticks. I just hope they don't put the drinking age up, not that anyone pays attention to that much.
When altitude dropping, my ears started popping. One more red nightmare...
yeah i cant wait either. all the bad scallies that come in my work tonight aint getting any cigs

Quote by Rankles

Quote by PurpleMonkeyDW
Wait, you got carded for buying papers?! That's retarded!

I'm not exactly an expert on these things, but what else can those papers be used for?

surely it makes sense to limit the age for those too?

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by FRDesign
what was it before?

Quote by element4433
Quote by Lemoninfluence
I'm not exactly an expert on these things, but what else can those papers be used for?

Smoking illegal drugs... but not usually without the tobacco. And anyone who has drugs is going to smoke them one way or another, not least because of the amount they cost.
Quote by Lemoninfluence

Yea but you can't use them for anything unless you actually buy the tobacco.

Unless you use em' for weed...which is illegal anyway
Quote by jimtaka
i'd say your guitar is out of tune, or you are accidentally muting strings that you aren't trying to, or your right hand isn't strumming at the same time that your left hand is fretting, or you could be reading the tab upside down...
It's 18 here(Norway). Always been
Quote by JeanMi36
Back when I was a teen, I was making out with this girl, when I had the bright idea of putting my hand inside her panties.

She had her period.

I'm scarred for life
I hadn't heard about it but I'm with the fascists. Er, government. Long live Gordon Brown.
My thoughts are that raising the age limit doesn't solve any problems at all. In my experience, teens do things that they think are cool, and doing things you aren't allowed to do is cool. Kids think they become badass by smoking, and the higher the age limit is, the more badass you are.

Age limits also do nothing to stop people from getting smokes and alcohol, if someone wants it they will get it.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
I think it should of stayed at 16. Gives the children cancer faster, ridding the world of smokers faster.

PSN ID: ArranP
Quote by krims0n
Not all of Canada. It's 18 in Manitoba (same with alcohol).

hmm, I always thought it was just Quebec that had 18 as the legal drinking age.
Quote by Schneiderman
Age limits also do nothing to stop people from getting smokes and alcohol, if someone wants it they will get it.

You could say the same thing for gun control laws over here.

of course it doesn't get rid of the problem completely but it does a lot to reduce the problem.

Quote by element4433
I think it should just be illegal, what do smokers get out of it? It would also make it harder for people to smoke weed because they'd have no tobacco for joints.
I thought people who were 16 before today could still buy them if they're under 18?
Quote by TheNthDimension
Smoking illegal drugs... but not usually without the tobacco. And anyone who has drugs is going to smoke them one way or another, not least because of the amount they cost.

So obviously another good reason not to sell them papers.

I'm gonna love the looks on their faces.

Kid - 20 Lambert please
Me - Are you 16?
Kid - Yeah.
Me - WRONG ANSWER!
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
Quote by Rankles
So obviously another good reason not to sell them papers.

I'm gonna love the looks on their faces.

Kid - 20 Lambert please
Me - Are you 16?
Kid - Yeah.
Me - WRONG ANSWER!

video that plz.

Quote by element4433
Quote by Sabu
I think it should just be illegal, what do smokers get out of it? It would also make it harder for people to smoke weed because they'd have no tobacco for joints.

I think thats a little close-minded imo, people should be allowed to smoke if they want to and are legal, I agreed with the smoking ban in most places (I dont want to smoke while im eating) (but I dont mind smoke in clubs, I prefered the small of smoke in clubs to the smell of sick tbh)

I also dont mind this new law, hopefully it'll stop the young little bastards thinking they are cool because they smoke (lets face it though, that isnt what will happen)
its pathetic,you can do whatever u want to yourself, give urself cancer, its not anyones concern! they cant force u not to. Aslong as u dont do it next to someone like me, ul get a slap lol
Quote by PeffinGee
If there were death penalties for pedophiles, half of UG will die

www.myspace.com/fr3ddi30

A SAILOR'S GRAVE FOR ME
Quote by fredzeskater
its pathetic,you can do whatever u want to yourself, give urself cancer, its not anyones concern! they cant force u not to. Aslong as u dont do it next to someone like me, ul get a slap lol

Where have you been? Of course people can stop children from making mistakes they'll later regret. 16 year olds aren't old enough to understand that smoking is stupid.
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
As a non smoker this is a good thing, if I were a smoker i'm sure i'd see differently but i'm not so I don't, its better in the long run even if it ****s up those 16 year olds who need their fags
I think it's a good thing, all my friends smoke and I don't particularly aprove, being the loving friend who wants all his buddies alive and such
That was a rare post..

My band on:myspace facebook UG
Leeds '07 '08 '09!
I don't know the answer, or have anything funny to say, but dude that is one sweet Bulbasaur avatar
16 year olds aren't old enough to understand anything! Most of them these days are knuckle dragging morons who manage to scrape together about 3 GCSEs and get a job cleaning toilets and drink Stella on the streets. So yes, somebody needs to try and save these people from themselves.

Also, smoking affects more than just the person smoking.....

I always hated the smell of other peoples tobacco on my clothes when people were still allowed to smoke in clubs and pubs etc. Not to mention the fact that passive smoking allows me to catch cancer from your ****ty habit!
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
All great except we will now get even more groups of chavs going "OI MATE! go in shop and get us some fags?" "No" "YOU WANT A F-ING SMASH MATE? BLAH BLAH BLAH INSULTS"
Page 1 of 3