Ok, I know many people despise Dragonforce for their cheese, soulless soloing etc but take that to another thread. I plan to wrote similar songs to Dragonforce and would appreciate some help.

I know they always follow a formula: Intro-Verse-Pre Chorus- Chorus-Verse-Pre Chorus- Chorus- Long Solo- Choral Chorus-Chorus- Outro etc... Most of their choruses are in Major keys making it uplifting and joyful.

Doodling around the major scale could make some decent melodies for the chorus and as for the verse we could start with a minor relative to the major. Another problem I face is that they always use 3 chord progression with very slow chord change. A litle bit hard for me to make up melodies when the chords change slowly.

Any more ideas?
My Gear:
Epiphone LP Black Beauty (2007)| Washburn WM24K (2008)| Ibanez Iceman IC300 (2003)| Ibanez GRX40 (2004) w Gold Lace Sensors| Roland Microcube| Marshall G10MK.II Amp| Zoom G2.1u| BOSS Metal Zone

Yes, I am a simple guy.
Okay, I don't have any DF songs here, I'm just listening to Through Fire and Flames over youtube.

Well, it sounds as they are using lots and lots of tracks at once.
Almost everything is harmonized, keyboards (with simple synth-sounds, think of "nintendo metal", although it's not quite true ), guitars and vocals.
Plus, there are quite "full" drums (double bass, lots of snare, some toms, not so much cymbals -> not too sharp. Sharpness comes from the guitars and the vocals here) and pads in the background. Quite over-the-top, not bad, at least something different.
You have to fill your frequency range with softer/balanced tones to get this full sound.

Tempos start at 180 BPM, you know that ;P

Everything is quite melodic. To get their vibe, I'd use lots of natural fours, fifths, minor thirds, and major/minor sixths. Even when using a major scale (don't do it too often, try melodic & natural minor, dorian, etc. But also try Mixolydian. Just don't do too many extremes here (lydian, locrian, etc.), try to empathise everything that has to do with minor in terms of "soft" (+ major 6th as the complementary interval to minor third (-> dorian!)), use dorian/aeolian cadences, ...
Use speed, but you'll need at least one important role which is slow to get this flying vibe (-> vocals, drums or guitar can do this quite well).
You have to pursue that orange "afternoon" feeling.

Don't play too much with rhythms, DF is not that complex (but if you wish to do some more "difficult" songs, do it! But beware, as it can destroy that easy mood DF creates. It's about speed/flow/happiness, not about heavyness or too much thinking).

One advice from Captain Obvious: Don't be afraid of funny, high-pitched sounds, squeals etc.

Oh, and one more thing: Use enhancement pedals.

Okay, so tell your friends Herman Ri is cool or I'll **** on your head! Bye bye
^ seconded.

Äh, Sie wollen also mit Schlitz.
Last edited by Philipp Sobecki at Oct 2, 2007,
damn, you are good.. thanks.
My Gear:
Epiphone LP Black Beauty (2007)| Washburn WM24K (2008)| Ibanez Iceman IC300 (2003)| Ibanez GRX40 (2004) w Gold Lace Sensors| Roland Microcube| Marshall G10MK.II Amp| Zoom G2.1u| BOSS Metal Zone

Yes, I am a simple guy.
Philipp, you da man. You don't tell people stuff they already know, you answer questions xD.
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
I've noticed Dragonforce's rhythms are basically all the same: Powerchord, trem pick root note, powerchord, trem pick root note, switch power chord, trem pick root note.