This may sound stupid, but im new to learning scales etc

what scale is this from, and how can you tell?

-12-10--------------------------12-
-----------13-12-10-12-13--------
---------------------------------------

(Abit of Arctic Monkeys - 505)
i am taking it you have given us the 1st and 2nd strings there, if so it could be a few different ones... but you have a R 2 b3 4 5 taking A as the root, so probably A minor. you could also say A dorian until the 6th is exploited.

Or in a given context, you could probably say a few other scale too.

thanks :] how did you work that out? do you just know how minor scales are formed already?
i dont get the

WWHWWWH for majors and the

WHWWHWW for minors

it doesnt make sense :S can someone please help?
The chord that it's being played over will tell you what scale it is.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
It's in E minor then, but it'll feel kind of D mixolydian over the Dm chord...i think.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Last edited by steven seagull at Oct 1, 2007,
Quote by steven seagull
It's in E minor then, but it'll feel kind of D mixolydian over the Dm chord...i think.

not too sure where that came from...

the key is A minor and the scale is also A minor. (parallel to C Major)

Dm and Em are the 2nd and 3rd of C Major (a minor)... that is why they are minor.
I would bet other chords used in this song could be CMaj, GMaj and obviously... A minor.

Dm wont make a D mixolydian sound, due to the b3. Mixo has only a b7.
It's a very simple song - it literally only contains Dm and Em. Overall the feel is very, well, E-ey...with the Dm feeling very unresolved, that being the case the lick feels more E minory to me than anything else.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Ultimately with so little to work with i guess there's no right or wrong answer...there's not enough there to nail it fown one way or another.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

alright cheers guys

was just abit curious, started learning more theory and been learning some in school for music technology at A-Level.

going to start to write music soon aswell so just wanted an idea on what scales to look at for the type of music id want to write.
To be honest writing songs is less to do with scales, or at least the individual notes in scales, and more to do with chord progressions...the wiki article on them is actually a pretty decent starting point for exploring that area.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chord_progression
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

thanks for that mate, just gonna read it now

i learned abit of chord theory yesterday, but it was building chords not progression. this looks like it will be more helpful
so for chord progression, is there some sort of guide that shows you what chords sound well together or do you have to look at the notes in each chord and make them fit a scale?
so what scale would sound good over an Am chord progression? a normal A minor scale?
I listened to the song for about ten seconds and figured it out. It's in D dorian. Due to D dorian's relation to A minor it's not surprisng that one of the song's licks (the original tab above) would be identified as A minor. But the i-ii chord progression as well as the vocal melody makes it fairly apparent.
People writing songs that voices never shared
No one dared
Disturb the Sound of Silence
Oh screw me i'm confused about modes right now. Maybe edit later
Last edited by CloserToTheSun at Oct 1, 2007,
Don't treat this like a minor progression, because it's not. i-ii is very much a DORIAN progression. Use the D dorian scale for the best effect (D E F G A B C). The A minor pentatonic will pretty much strip it of its dorian character.
No one dared
Quote by Me2NiK
Don't treat this like a minor progression, because it's not. i-ii is very much a DORIAN progression. Use the D dorian scale for the best effect (D E F G A B C). The A minor pentatonic will pretty much strip it of its dorian character.

I hadn't listened to any progression, I was just saying what might go over Am
Well the progression of the song that this thread is about is i-ii, which is a dorian progrsesion.
No one dared
Quote by Me2NiK
Well the progression of the song that this thread is about is i-ii, which is a dorian progrsesion.

What do you mean by i-ii?
Last edited by CloserToTheSun at Oct 1, 2007,
thanks

when you say i-ii progression do you mean first and second intervals?