to do pinch harmonics on bass? i can do them on guitar and decided to try it on bass, and it sounded sweet
but do they do it in bands in their songs?
i love the way they sound.... i laughed a little the first time i did one on bass, cuz i wasn't used to the deeper scream
Lol Yeah pinch harmonic's on bass are pretty cool! Off the top of my head I can't think of any song's, but like delirium said, you could use them when you solo!
Quote by chinese_jazz
One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don't know.

Jaco Pastorius

E-A-G-L-E-S!!
I have always struggled to do a pinch harmonic... but, for the record, I think they'd sound sweet if you used them in good taste on bass.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Quote by UtBDan
I have always struggled to do a pinch harmonic... but, for the record, I think they'd sound sweet if you used them in good taste on bass.

It just takes practice... as a general rule of thumb, place your thumb at the 1/2 or 3/4 point from fret to bridge. Then work from there. It's all about getting the thumb away at the precise moment you pluck the note.
Quote by illuzion_ownz
to do pinch harmonics on bass? i can do them on guitar and decided to try it on bass, and it sounded sweet
but do they do it in bands in their songs?

Not normal...But doable, and good when done tastefully...I THINK that Lamb Of God use them in some songs....I'm sure you could find some, or do it yourself
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
I haven't seen/heard any bands use them myself,but I have before.Sometimes they fit,sometimes they don't.I play guitar as well,so I guess I'm just always used to how those sound,but given the right timing they can be quite useful.
When you saw me sleeping
thought I was dreaming
of you...

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me
Quote by Deliriumbassist
It just takes practice... as a general rule of thumb, place your thumb at the 1/2 or 3/4 point from fret to bridge. Then work from there. It's all about getting the thumb away at the precise moment you pluck the note.

It's a good trick, another thing you've learned, so it's another weapon in your armoury. That can only be good! My method's slightly different; I trail little finger of my picking hand down to where the node of the harmonic is, and pop the string. There's a few nodes between the end of the fretboard and the bridge, so just tap around and get used to where they are.
Or tap an open string harmonic on a high string while playing hammer-ons on a low string for a total Jimmy Page rockstar pose moment!
I do it some times just messing around. It sounds pretty sweet, so ya keep doing it.
Whitest Kid U' Know of the Bass Militia
PM Dinky Daisy to join

Originally posted by Civildp1
I can't drink tequila anymore. it makes me do terrible things. Terrible naked things.
Quote by creepingjesus73
It's a good trick, another thing you've learned, so it's another weapon in your armoury. That can only be good! My method's slightly different; I trail little finger of my picking hand down to where the node of the harmonic is, and pop the string. There's a few nodes between the end of the fretboard and the bridge, so just tap around and get used to where they are.
Or tap an open string harmonic on a high string while playing hammer-ons on a low string for a total Jimmy Page rockstar pose moment!

I've also got slapped artificial harmonics down. Slap whatever string, but shorten the string length by using your little finger, and remove the little finger just like you would the thumb. When you get it right, it sounds wicked.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I've also got slapped artificial harmonics down. Slap whatever string, but shorten the string length by using your little finger, and remove the little finger just like you would the thumb. When you get it right, it sounds wicked.

Must try that. My last experiment that way was playing the E-string open handed, thumb and pinky, like you'd beat a bhodran (bodhran? My Gaelic's not up to much!). Done wrong it results in a nasty clanking noise, but done right it's a riot of 1/16th note/harmonic hybrids. I find it a pain to do for long, so it's only for big outros.
I can do Pinched harmonics well enough on guitar but I'm having some trouble doing them on bass. Can't seem to pull them off and I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Anyone have any suggestions.
Quote by tubab0y
Real bassists play with their penis.

Wait, that came out wrong...

it's all about the thumb. You place the thumb at a node along the string (use halfway between fret and bridge, or 3/4 as a starting point), and place the thumb there. Pluck with your finger, and at the same time, remove the thumb. It's the same principle as using the thumb with the pick to effectively "shorten" the string on a guitar, but the thumb is literally on the string itself.
No pinch harmonics aren't normal. Might have to get that checked, your bass is probably broken.
Quote by joeyj123
I am in awe of your sizzling wit. please, accept this congratulatory e-cookie, and accompanying basket.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
it's all about the thumb. You place the thumb at a node along the string (use halfway between fret and bridge, or 3/4 as a starting point), and place the thumb there. Pluck with your finger, and at the same time, remove the thumb. It's the same principle as using the thumb with the pick to effectively "shorten" the string on a guitar, but the thumb is literally on the string itself.

Yeah, I tried that. See where you're coming from, it's handy, but it needs a bit of practice on my part. The new strings I'm waiting for might help, 'cos the current ones are dull as ditchwater. What I meant was kinda using a bongo technique, to do a sort of drum roll on the string. If that makes any sense...?!?
Quote by creepingjesus73
Yeah, I tried that. See where you're coming from, it's handy, but it needs a bit of practice on my part. The new strings I'm waiting for might help, 'cos the current ones are dull as ditchwater. What I meant was kinda using a bongo technique, to do a sort of drum roll on the string. If that makes any sense...?!?

Your way doesn't sound very controlled to me... but that just might be my visualisation of it.
It isn't. Like I say, only really good for the big outro, 'cos the chances are when everyone else is wigging out, any mistakes get covered up! It's just that it sounds much better when each finger, thumb and pinky, hits the string on a node. Well 'batters' is probly more accurate, it really isn't a precise technique.
Quote by creepingjesus73
It isn't. Like I say, only really good for the big outro, 'cos the chances are when everyone else is wigging out, any mistakes get covered up! It's just that it sounds much better when each finger, thumb and pinky, hits the string on a node. Well 'batters' is probly more accurate, it really isn't a precise technique.

I need to be in complete control, lol... I even have songs down to whether I'll play an open D or 5th fret on the A, lol.