Page 1 of 2
I'm looking for a new guitar, but I don't have that much money, so I'm looking for something in the $350-450 price range. I play a lot of classic rock like Hendrix and Clapton and Zeppelin, and also electric blues (like Buddy Guy, BB King type). I'd really like something that would give me a vintage '70's tone for blues-rock.

You can see my rig listed in my sig. Any suggestions?
wrong forum.

what's your budget ?
EDIT: nevermind, i missed the budget part...
maybe an epiphone dot ?
Last edited by The red Strat. at Oct 1, 2007,
It sounds like you need a Fat Strat type guitar. Stay away from Licensed Floyd Rose trems, an old Fender type synchronized trem will be better (more likely to stay in tune.) An MIM Strat may be in your price range, but try them all as quality control and sound varies widely.
Sweetwater.com, $399 USD. Link: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/StratFatRELB/
fat strat (or similar).

>_>

<_<
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
fat strat (or similar).

>_>

<_<

that's not a true strat ! a strat is meant to have 3 single coils !!

(i read your thread and i'm just teasing you )
i agree though.
Epiphone '56 Goldtop?

Yes, I have Goldtop P90 LP fever.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
I personally dont like fat strats.

They're not bad guitars though. I'd suggest you go play both, and make sure you play the one you buy. Quality control on MIM strats is spotty at best, as I've played a bunch that are pieces of crap, but i got a great one.
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Ibanez TS-9 Tube Screamer
Fulltone OCD
Dallas-Arbiter Wah Baby
Home-Built Germanium Fuzz Face
MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
2 Fender Blues Juniors

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The Fender Fat Strat MIM may be good. I just looked them up on the net and they sound good for what I need. I think I'd rather get a humbucking one though; should be better for the sounds I need. When I can get to a store I'll try some out.

The Goldtop may be just out of my range, but I may consider it if it sounds good when I get the chance to try it.

Just to get some more ideas, other than Fender, are there some Epiphone or Ibanez guitars in this price range that you guys know of that have good reputations?

Sorry for posting in the wrong forum. Can a mod move this thread to the right forum (please don't lock it) please?

thanks
i'd go with the hss fat strat to be honest, for hendrix and buddy guy, you presumably want strat singles... fat means it has a humbucker, by the way.

ibanez... possibly an sa... i wasn't too fussed on the one of those I tried though. but i think i've only tried one, so i guess it could have been a lemon. Avoid the rg's with trems in your price range, they suck, and the rg321 doesn't have singles, so i'm not sure it's too great for what you want either...

are any of those G&L tributes HSS? if so, they may be worth a look, the G&L american series is nice.

Godins might also be worth a look, they have several HSS and HSH models. Not too sure of prices, but i think at least a couple of models fall into the $400 range... that's in america though.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well for Ibanez there is the SZ series (not really vintage-voiced guitars though), and the Jet King, and the Artcores (hollowbody). As for Epis, there is the Dot, and that's about it. The quality of their SGs and LPs isn't as good as a Standard Strat.
Hmmm, I'm guessing a Fender Standard Strat. I'm no expert or anything, but it seems like a great guitar for you (and the same one I'm getting in a few months)

It also fits your price range, it's $440 at my local guitar shop.

Oh and for blues and stuff like that get some humbuckers (the one in the above picture is single coiled) Humbuckers look like this:

Quote by SloppyJoseph
It doesn't fit my playing style at all so I figured it would be good for me
Last edited by TheReFiller at Oct 1, 2007,
Quote by Whole Lotta Led
How about a Tele!!

In my opinion Strats are more pleasing to the eye. Plus, he said he likes Hendrix, and he used to play a Strat.
Quote by SloppyJoseph
It doesn't fit my playing style at all so I figured it would be good for me
I have an RG321 and play the blues and classic type rock with mine. It has humbuckers but you can split the coil with the 5 way switch too. I got mine used on ebay for $180 shipped, had one ding on the wood and frets and fretboard looked new. Look for the newer ones, they are made of mahogany and have Inf pickups.

I tried a GAX70 once and as I recall, it had the flat thin Wizard neck. The RG321 has the Wizard neck, kinda flat on back and almost flat fretboard. I got mine cause of the neck really.

I saw a video on Youtube before they pulled it, showing Jr. Kimbrough playing an RG Ibanez of some kind.
Quote by Whole Lotta Led
How about a Tele!!

that would actually be worth considering too. i'd possibly prefer a fat strat for the tones the TS mentioned, but a tele is very nice too, and as always, it's up to the TS.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'd get an SSS strat, or an Epi les paul sort of guitar, because down the road you'll want one or the other eventually anyways.

No point in buying an HSS strat if in a year or two you're going to buy an Epi Les Paul, and probably you will want to switch it to SSS by then.

Oh, and do you already have a guitar? If yes, what?
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
but you can switch it to SSS for the price of a pickguard and bridge single coil pickup... maybe have to change one of the pots too.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
but you can switch it to SSS for the price of a pickguard and bridge single coil pickup... maybe have to change one of the pots too.

True, but kind of seems like a waste of time, considering that a humbucker isn't really required for anything he wants to play.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

it wouldn't hurt for clapton (assuming cream-era clapton), some led zep, and bb...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
it wouldn't hurt for clapton (assuming cream-era clapton), some led zep, and bb...

Doesn't seem like it would help much either. Fender's stock bucker sucks IMO, so he'll have to upgrade it down the road, which will only raise the price of the guitar. From what I hear, Fenders new stock singles are pretty good post 2006, and from what I've experienced, this is true.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm thinking about trying out the SSS and HSS Strats and see how they sound. I do like a deeper, heavier sound, so I'm leaning towards the HSS. If the humbucker does give a tone that's too heavy, I at least have two single coils so I can still use those. Would you consider the HSS more versatile since it has singles and a humbucker?

Also, what's the main difference in tone and overall sounds between a telecaster and a strat? I know that Hendrix played a telecaster on a few occasions during his career, and from what I remember hearing, it sounded good also. But I don't play that much Zeppelin actually, so I don't really want to get a Telecaster for a Jimmy Page tone. But I'll try a telecaster and see if I like it.

I don't think I'll get another Ibanez, mainly because I don't think it will give me the old vintage tone I'm looking for.

@CORT noob: I have an Ibanez GAX75 right now. Why do you think I'd want an Epi Les Paul down the road? Do you mean that since they're good I'd want to try one or try something different later on?
that's a good point. i guess you gotta work out, is it worth buying the jack of all trades (fat strat), replacing its humbucker for another decent hum, and then down the road converting it to SSS when you get another humbucker guitar?

I'd say it still is, but obviously it depends on the person, etc. etc.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Bling Dogg
(a) Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm thinking about trying out the SSS and HSS Strats and see how they sound. I do like a deeper, heavier sound, so I'm leaning towards the HSS. If the humbucker does give a tone that's too heavy, I at least have two single coils so I can still use those. Would you consider the HSS more versatile since it has singles and a humbucker?

(b) Also, what's the main difference in tone and overall sounds between a telecaster and a strat? I know that Hendrix played a telecaster on a few occasions during his career, and from what I remember hearing, it sounded good also. But I don't play that much Zeppelin actually, so I don't really want to get a Telecaster for a Jimmy Page tone. But I'll try a telecaster and see if I like it.

(a) i'd say an HSS strat is more versatile, yes.

(b) a tele is twangier, more country-sounding (though obviously not exclusively). also, its bridge pickup has more beef to it, it can take on gain better than a strat bridge pickup (though still not as well as a humbucker IMO). its neck pickup isn't quite as nice as a strat's, though.

Most fender fans (not all, but a lot) consider the two nicest pickup positions to be a strat neck, and tele bridge (and obviously the in-between strat tones are cool too). that's why so many people switch the strat bridge pickup for a humbucker, as you still get most of the nicest strat tones, and also why many switch a tele's neck pickup for a humbucker, p90, or mini-humbucker.

I think. I'm not exactly a fender guru.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^^ Because most people who get strats end up getting a different mahago buckered guitar down the road.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Quote by Dave_Mc

(b) a tele is twangier, more country-sounding (though obviously not exclusively). also, its bridge pickup has more beef to it, it can take on gain better than a strat bridge pickup (though still not as well as a humbucker IMO). its neck pickup isn't quite as nice as a strat's, though.

Most fender fans (not all, but a lot) consider the two nicest pickup positions to be a strat neck, and tele bridge (and obviously the in-between strat tones are cool too). that's why so many people switch the strat bridge pickup for a humbucker, as you still get most of the nicest strat tones, and also why many switch a tele's neck pickup for a humbucker, p90, or mini-humbucker.

I think. I'm not exactly a fender guru.

Yeah, I like the Tele bridge and Strat neck best of the Fenders.
Quote by CORT noob
^^ Because most people who get strats end up getting a different mahago buckered guitar down the road.

possibly. i mean, i have a LP now, and my next will be a strat. Doesn't mean i'm going to trade in my old, or indeed stop getting, superstrats though.

I don't see why it has to be mutually exclusive. Plus, with a fat strat, it's a reasonably simple, and reasonably cheap, conversion to SSS strat down the road anyway. Different if you have, say, a charvel or ibanez which is front routed for hums and has no scratchplate...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

Hmm... well then I'll consider the tele bit more now, since I also like to play delta blues from southern guitarists like RL Burnside and Junior Kimbrough. They didn't play country, but their delta blues sounds twangy. It may be good for that style.

First choice will be a fat strat since I'd like something versatile, and I like the idea of having single coils and humbuckers. The Ibanez GAX75 I have now has only humbuckers, and while I like them, I'd also love a guitar with singles too.

Also, would you consider a Fat strat or Standard Strat as a mid-level guitar? I've been playing for about 3 years now, and I'm not the best player, but I'm hoping I get a guitar that isn't just for beginners.
^ I'd consider it a mid-level guitar. Great thing about MIMs is they're great for modding - I did a few mods to mine, it sounds sublime now and after a setup and trem-blocking the sustain is great and it plays like butter. Excellent guitar.
yeah, pretty much. depends on how you define mid-level, of course, but yeah, i'd say so.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
two choices strat or les paul

if you´d like semi-acoustics try epiphones es 335 th dot model or the cheap gretsch ones
President of the Jeff Beck Club(PM me to join)

Sergeant Destroyer Member Of the KISS army

PM sloopy to join
gibson es-335
best guitar ever for those genres, especially bb king stuff
My Music
http://www.myspace.com/theocifers
GUITARS:
Gibson ES-335
Gretsch Pro Jet
Guild Acoustic
1958 Harmony Hollowbody Archtop
AMPS & EFFECTS:
Vox Valvetronix AD50VT
Vox V847A Wah Pedal
Electro-Harmonix USA Big Muff
Danelectro Daddy-O
Get a mexican made 50's or 60's strat. They cost just a little bit more (Ive seen them go for $500) and are well worth it.
"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky"
I'll inject some opinions on the Deluxe Player's Pickups. I just don't like them. Haven't played the guitar, but I've got the pickups.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Page 1 of 2