I'm going to be buying a complete drum kit very soon. I was wondering if any of you could give me tips on how to start out? Also, how long would it take to get somewhat decent? I already play guitar and bass but I thought that learning drums would be fun and a good way to improve my rhythm.
Depends on how willing you are to practice. If you practice at least 30 mins a day, you should be somewhat decent after a couple months, that is, of course on your opinion on decent.
Quote by CrazyDavey
I like my women how I like my wine, 12 years old and locked in my basement.

Quote by rg_metal
Some old lady asked me if my electric guitar was a bass. It clearly has Six strings.

Practise the crap out of that thing, every spare moment, you will be pretty decent in a couple of years, everyones definition of decent is different...
Diezel, Motherfucker
Make sure you put something (pillow, blanket) in the bass drum, or else it'll sound too boomy, and buy studio rings for each drum, the whole kit will sound better.

Just practice a lot, you'll get good eventually (especially if you get lessons), as with every instrument.
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
Tap. Tap. Tap. Wherever you are that isn't infront of your drum kit, tap a beat. Drummers are the only people (apart from singers) who have the chance to pretty much "practice" all the time. Mext time you're on a train, bus, etc. try working out a drum beat by tapping on your lap. Just don't do it too loud, people do easily get pissed off.
Quote by ACG

In conclusion, I'm gay.

Mud Sergeant of the Primus Sucks Club. PM StratEnRegalia to join.

"Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join."
Not to be a bastard here but you can either play drums or you can't. It's not something you can really pick up unless you really work at it.

My old drum teacher had a student for a few months and he made no progress off a simple beat.

Good luck and do what everyone above said.
Drumming is awesome. Hell im gunna go play now!

Just practice getting beats down in midair, looks stupid but helps.

Also take it slow.

ESP LTD MH-350NT
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 100
Orange PPC412AD
Seagull S6 Cedar Slim
Manuel Rodríguez C1M

Guitarist of Ravenage
Drummer of Windrider
Solo Project is Aloeswood
Thanks all for the wonderful advice.

I do have naturally good rhythm, so I think I have some potential in the drumming department.
Quote by string_of_death
Thanks all for the wonderful advice.

I do have naturally good rhythm, so I think I have some potential in the drumming department.

Good! Good luck with it!
LOL you can be the gorilla of the Cadbury's Dairy Milk advert
Quote by wiggyisgreat
Slooj, I'd bang you so hard.

••The Robin Trower Fans Group••
PM me to join!
^^ Or he could be a guy playing the drums.
Quote by ACG

In conclusion, I'm gay.

Quote by ARCtrooper225
Also your probably gonna suck horribly at first, not to be a jerk. When I first started, despite my naturally good sense of rhythm (IMHO at least), I couldn't coordinate my limbs in time, so be weary...
*fades away in a fog*

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if my first couple of weeks aren't the best.

I saw a video about drumming basics, and the guy showed you how to do some technique, I forget the name but it started with a "p." It's where you go like:

R L L R L R R L R L L R L R R L

Anyway I've been practicing that with pens and stuff, it's hard but I'm figuring out how to do it.
Quote by string_of_death
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if my first couple of weeks aren't the best.

I saw a video about drumming basics, and the guy showed you how to do some technique, I forget the name but it started with a "p." It's where you go like:

R L L R L R R L R L L R L R R L

Anyway I've been practicing that with pens and stuff, it's hard but I'm figuring out how to do it.

I think that's a paradiddle.
<Han> I love Hitler
thats a paradiddle ^^

i've been playing drums for a year or so now n yeah at the start i did suck but as long as you practice regularly you will steadily progress.

lessons do help but i've never had any and i'd like to say i am a decent drummer now
Last edited by hutchie999 at Oct 1, 2007,
Once I get the drills down (like the paradiddle, ), I think I'm going to learn a basic song, any suggestions? Is Green Day as easy for beginning drummers as they are for beginning guitarists? :
^^ Not as easy. Try some Nirvana songs off of nevermind, their pretty easy to get down.
Quote by ACG

In conclusion, I'm gay.

depends how much cash you got to spend. a pearl forum is what i started out on and its gfreat vaule and lasts a while. it's a 7-peice kit :P
Quote by Slooj
LOL you can be the gorilla of the Cadbury's Dairy Milk advert

Haha, Thats so fun to play.

I can feel it coming in the aiir tonighhhht

EDIT: Beatles songs are easy to play on drums.

ESP LTD MH-350NT
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 100
Orange PPC412AD
Seagull S6 Cedar Slim
Manuel Rodríguez C1M

Guitarist of Ravenage
Drummer of Windrider
Solo Project is Aloeswood
personally i'd start off with a pearl export but its abit pricey

and to start off with i'd just learn the basic rock beats and stuff before you attempt songs.