I'm stuck between these two amps... saving up money for a much better amp and have been looking at these alot lately.

My influences lately have been Coheed and Cambria, 10 Years, Silverstein, Skillet, Underoath, The Almost...

My budget is pretty much anywhere right not... If it's worth the money, hell yeah I'll save up for it . Cleans are important but not as much as the OD channel. Plan on getting a Twin Reverb eventually for the cleans anyway...

From my influences, it seems like I need a versatile amp, and this seems to be the JVM, but I wanted UG's opinion too.

I will be trying the amps eventually but I just wanted an idea of what I should be spending my time trying or not.

Thanks for your help!!
The JVM is overpriced, I'd say go with the dual rec.
Emo is to music as etch-a-sketch is to art.

Quote by TMVolta19
Music can't really be judged, since it's all on the same level. Unless it's screamo. then it sucks.
I'm not a fan of the rectos at all. Their cleans are quite horrible. They have a good distortion but it's only good for rhythms.

If your buying either amp new, you're wasting a good bit of money. You could pick up a used Roadking, Roadster, or MK III/IV for the price of a new Dual Recto; which IMO blow the single, dual, and triple out of the water.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
I'm not a fan of the rectos at all. Their cleans are quite horrible. They have a good distortion but it's only good for rhythms.

If your buying either amp new, you're wasting a good bit of money. You could pick up a used Roadking, Roadster, or MK III/IV for the price of a new Dual Recto; which IMO blow the single, dual, and triple out of the water.

I have a rectoverb and it's cleans are amazing (can't speak for the other models though).
Emo is to music as etch-a-sketch is to art.

Quote by TMVolta19
Music can't really be judged, since it's all on the same level. Unless it's screamo. then it sucks.
I know Skillet use dual rectos, and their sound is kickass. But Ben uses a VOX AC30 for cleans, cuz he said he didn't like the cleans on the Boogie.
1. there's a search function, use it. this arguement has been covered god knows how many times,

2. when you're looking at spending that amount of money on an amp you HAVE to try the amps, you can't buy blind. go out try them both and buy the one you like more. opinions are just that, no 2 will be the same.

the marshall is the more versatile, but since you don't need the cleans (as much) as you'll be buying a twin reverb you should be concentrating on the distortion, the mesa is dark and 'american' sounding, while the marshall bright, full of mids and ' british' sounding, though it can do dark-er sounds just not as well as the mesa. though they're both extremely versatile amps, the mesa will only ever sound like a recto, and the marshall only ever like a marshall. of the 2, i'd go marshall, purely 'cause i didn't like the recto's mid gain tones and the marshall's were great (IMO), but still not fantastic, but thats not what you buy either of these for.
Quote by TehJermie
you can get that toneblaster stack at the cost of your dignity.

Quote by silhouettica
fine, screw the cheese sandwich if you must...

Quote by omarrodrigez
I have a rectoverb and it's cleans are amazing (can't speak for the other models though).

rectoverbs have a remodeled clean channel. The standard recto's are very thin, lifeless, and sterile.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
you can get good cleans out of a dual rec as long as you don't push the volume on the clean channel over about 50%. it has enough headroom that you don't need to have every knob on 10 anyway.

not as pretty of a clean as a laney vh100r though... :-)

go for the mesa. mesa > marshall.
gear?
coming soon... parker fly mojo flame
ibanezes: rg350dx frankenstein * rg7620 7-string
fenders: telecaster plus * stratocaster plus

line 6: pod xt live * ax2 212
other: laney vh100r * mesa dual rectifier * monster cables
Quote by DougC84

go for the mesa. mesa > marshall.

Tone is very opinionated. I prefer mesa to marshall, but Mesa isn't better than Marshall.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
How about checking out the Line6 HD147? Haven't played it myself but it seems pretty good, and it's designed to be versatile (although with focus on a good metal sound). I think it has both Marshall and Recto models in it.
Quote by Aziraphale
How about checking out the Line6 HD147? Haven't played it myself but it seems pretty good, and it's designed to be versatile (although with focus on a good metal sound). I think it has both Marshall and Recto models in it.

I was extremely close to buying an HD-147 before I picked up my Mesa Roadking. They're great amps, I would recommend the Randall V2 or T2 instead though.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
i really don't see how you're stuck between those two... they aren't even that similar in tone, and there are possibly a dozen similar amps to the marshall you should also be checking out, and ditto the mesa, before you even consider making a purchase...

to be fair, i'm guessing the bahamas isn't the best place to check out high gain tube amps, but still...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by MESAexplorer
Tone is very opinionated. I prefer mesa to marshall, but Mesa isn't better than Marshall.

sorry, i shall restate:

go for the mesa. IMO, mesa > marshall.
gear?
coming soon... parker fly mojo flame
ibanezes: rg350dx frankenstein * rg7620 7-string
fenders: telecaster plus * stratocaster plus

line 6: pod xt live * ax2 212
other: laney vh100r * mesa dual rectifier * monster cables
Jesus Christ guys don't start up with the "This brand is better" argument. Both companies have their areas where they shine.
Ben
not that this is a bias opinion considering I own one. But Id say the Marshall.

Both have their strengths and weaknesses. Depends on what kind of sound you want,
Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM 900
peavey 5150

Mesa 4x12
Listen to MESAexplorer, he knows what he's talking about. +9923402 to everything he says.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MESAexplorer

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?