If you had £400.00, what would be the tube amp you'd spend it on?
(This is really because, I have £400, and need help choosing.)
Thanks, and much appreciation.
Sorry, overlooked info. And after me telling everyone else ...;/
Metal, in the main, but not maiden sounding, I like brighter tones, of Vai and Metallica.

Gigging is a prospect, and i want it to be loud enough to. I'm pretty set on a 30-50w size combo, but stacks aren't out of the question if they keep the within the wattage i've spec'ed.

Nice clean tones, bright, would be nice. Basically I just cant stand the deep sound that I get out of most of the settings on my roland cube 30. R-Fier setting is the onlyone that comes close to what I need, and the amp simply doesnt have enough headroom to be any good at the gig volume.
Epiphone Blues Custom. I'd like to have it.
Epiphone Les Paul Studio 2005
Marshall JTM-60
MXR Phase 90
Ibanez WH-10 Wah
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion
EHX Q-Tron +
Line 6 FM-4 Filter Modeler
Fender CD60 Acoustic
John Frusciante and RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS UG fanclub.
Quote by bartdevil_metal
If you had £400.00, what would be the tube amp you'd spend it on?
(This is really because, I have £400, and need help choosing.)
Thanks, and much appreciation.

I really would not have seen that coming without your telling us.

Seriously, though... marshall dsl401, peavey valveking, randall rg50tc, ashdown fallen angel, laney lc30/50, laney gh50l (if you can find an extremely cheap speaker cab, somehow)...

just basically try those and see which you like best. I might have missed a few too. ^ I don't see how the blues custom would do metal, to be honest.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
dang. also the peavey windsor, again if you can find a cheap cab.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Either a Marshall DSL401 or a Laney VC30...depending on the sound you want.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
i thought you wanted it for gigs?

well, the marshall and ashdown are 40 watts, the randall, peavey and laney 50, the other laney 30... i'd have thought that was about right. but i'd have thought with any of them you should be able to hit the sweet spot, at any rate...

the windsor is pretty high wattage, yeah. it seemed to have a pretty decent master volume though.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
another £80 and the ENGL Thunder Drive
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
TBH, I have no idea how to judge heads and cabs wattage. I wasn't challenging your opinion just validating - my gigs arent going to be in 12000 seater stadiums just yet - what wattage do you recommend for small gigis/bedroom practising?
not too sure as i don't really gig... the general consensus, as far as I'm aware, is between 15-30 watts, but it depends on the amp, number and type of speakers, the music you play, etc. etc.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
2nd hand Marshall JCM-top
-------------------------------------------------
- Fender Strat (1988, Japan)
- Epiphone Les Paul (2008, Korea,)
- Epiphone Sheraton (1988, Korea)
- Morgan WG20GEN (2003, Norway)
and some stuff non-used stuff for sale/trade in the Netherlands
Guys he says he doesn't like Maiden and wants Metallica tones so why are you all recommending Brit-voiced amps? That being said, there aren't any real high-gain tube amp for that price so maybe best to do a PODXT-live/Boss GT8 thru Atomic Reactor set up?
Gear:
Gibson SG '61 RI
Fender MIJ 62RI Tele
PRS Singlecut SE
Epiphone Sheraton II
Ibanez AEG10NT
Orange Rocker 30
Blackstar HT5C
surely the brighter metallica tones were marshall? vai is pretty marshally sounding too. I dunno. it sounded like conflicting pieces info to me, but i'm tired...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Dsl 401!
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger