A bassist I know wants me to play Orion (Metallica) with him and his drummer at the school talent show (their guitarist graduated from highschool, so I guess I'm replacing). I'm not into it. It's long and the solo's beyond my skill level. Can anybody suggest a similar song that would be more suited to love play? (I really, really, want to do Enter Sandman, but he isn't into it.
you really should try Orion...it's fantastic

if not, don't play enter sandman...it's overdone

are you set on playing a metallica song though?
Quote by Stephen Colbert
Ignorance is bliss. Oedipus ruined a great sex life by asking too many questions.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Is it odd that I get an erection every time RageAgainst... posts?

President of "Colbert Nation "
fade to black is a great song in that vain. Also, a better song like enter sandman could be sad but true - thats just an awesome sounding song
Fade to Black? That's not too hard, or maybe Nothing Else Matters.

Creeping death is awesome too, but the solo may be a little tricky.
Yeah, the solo in Call of Ktulu is kind of easier, but still quite hard. Both of these instrumentals I really love.
And as it had been said already, don't play Enter Sandman, Master of Puppets, Fade to Black and Nothing Else Matters. It's TOTALLY overdone.
Sad But True is nearly impossible if he have to sing and play at the same time though.

Still, Orion's not THAT hard to be Metallica is it? Most of their other solos are probably harder (with some obvious exceptions).
Orion would be great to play. Also which solo is beyond your skill level? Because one of them sounds like guitar but is bass with distortion.

DO NOT play Enter Sandman. Everyone plays it. Choose something else. Something that you all want to play. One is actually not too bad, and For Whom the Bell Tolls is by far the easiest Metallica song ever written.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
it might be good for you to learn something challenging. how much time do you have?
Quote by steven seagull
There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

Quote by convictionless
dude calebrocker, that first song on your list almost made me cry
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
Quote by Renka
Sad But True is nearly impossible if he have to sing and play at the same time though.

Still, Orion's not THAT hard to be Metallica is it? Most of their other solos are probably harder (with some obvious exceptions).
yea it really isn't too hard at all (orion, i mean)

sad but true and for whom the bell tolls are both good though...the 2nd solo in fade to black is probably out of his league if he can't play orion
Quote by Stephen Colbert
Ignorance is bliss. Oedipus ruined a great sex life by asking too many questions.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Is it odd that I get an erection every time RageAgainst... posts?

President of "Colbert Nation "
Just tell him you can't play it and he'll have to find someone else. He asked you to play with them, you didn't ask them to play with you so you can't choose the song.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
just tell him to play (anesthesia) Pulling Teeth with his drummer, that way you're not involved, and it's still a crazy bass solo, incase you don't know, anesthesia is cliffs bass solo, he used to always play it live, and had it before joining metallica, since the song is only bass and some basic drums, you don't have to worry about anything, but if they actually want you to play, then play my friend of misery, which is also very bass related
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
It doesn't HAVE to be Metallica... and we might have a lead guitarist come in. I'm mainly worried that if it's too hard then I'll butcher it, and I'd hate for my first time playing live to be a disaster.
Quote by Dinkydaisy
Just tell him you can't play it and he'll have to find someone else. He asked you to play with them, you didn't ask them to play with you so you can't choose the song.

I agree as rough as it sounds, Orion is what they want to do so if you can't/won't quit and give them time to find another replacement
Quote by Moggan13
Frantic

*Runs and dives out of window*

You better run, fool *aims gun*

I have a good one, some kind of monster

*dives into bomb shelter*
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Re-write the solo yourself. It's the easy solution. When a bassist wants to play Orion it means we want to play Orion, not just any Metallica song. Writing like Kirk isn't that hard, and you can totally make an easier solo for yourself while preserving the song. Hell, improvise your solo. I don't remember the chords, but how hard can that progression really be?
Quote by nightwind
You must never double the leading tone ever. Failure to comply will result in a fugue related death.
Play One.

LOL.

Seriously though..I agree with the dude who said Sad But True.

Wait..I think I hear something..its getting louder..

"..BAT-TE-RY!!!"

*Thrashes*
Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz
Go in peace my son, and teach to the pit dwellers what I have shown unto you.

ಠ_ಠ

XBL: huffy409
I don't know what happened, but when I listened to it a few more times, I fell in love with song. So I came up with a way to pull it off.

The song is divided into obvious sections. Me and Tom (the guitarist I was supposedly replacing) will treat the song like a guitar duel. I will play lead on one section while Tom does the rhythm, then we'll switch for the next riff. If I set it up right I'll eliminate the solo I can't do, and get to play the slower solo at the end.

Good suggestions though, thanks.
You could get out of playing orion by saying the harmony in the interlude will sound like **** with one guitar. Is it not like, 3 guitar parts, all harmonised? And also, the distorted bass solo has two bass tracks, and again, will probably sound crap without them.

Also, it's a pretty difficult song, what do you reckon the chances are you'd all butcher it?
Currently attempting to learn: The Dissentience by Protest The Hero in it's entirety.
Quote by AgentWiggles
I don't know what happened, but when I listened to it a few more times, I fell in love with song. So I came up with a way to pull it off.

The song is divided into obvious sections. Me and Tom (the guitarist I was supposedly replacing) will treat the song like a guitar duel. I will play lead on one section while Tom does the rhythm, then we'll switch for the next riff. If I set it up right I'll eliminate the solo I can't do, and get to play the slower solo at the end.

Good suggestions though, thanks.

Please tape it or something, it sounds interesting to hear!
I've had Alzheimer's Disease for as long as I can remember.

Quote by damian_91
Pleasure2kill, you are a genius!
Do the SM Master of Puppets.
Gear...
Peavey 5150, Squier, Ibanez RG2EX2, Yamaha F150, Ibanez RT150, MXR noisegate
wtf im so confused

orion is HARDER than call of ktulu? fade to black is easy???? he DOESNT wanna do enter sandman!?!?!

BASSLINES TO MAKE YOUR CHEST CAVITY SHUDDER.
Turn the page!!!
Quote by Spoony_Bard
Dude I got these strings the other day that couldn't be tuned to higher than 4 octaves below middle C then I realized that they were shoelaces and they weren't making any sound at all.
play it . Take one for the team. Play It For Cliff!
Quote by bambi_slaughter

what sound does a baby make when you put it in a blender?
i dunno, i was to busy masturba ting.

Quote by maroon5mustdie
EVH. I saw him in concert. And his brother was seriously the worst bass player I've ever seen.

Quote by operation ktulu
if my guitar had a pussy, i would never leave my room
Quote by RageAgainst...
you really should try Orion...it's fantastic

Tis indeed, but super boring if your a member of the crowed! trust me I know! Played it, watched a band play it.
Quote by AgentWiggles
A bassist I know wants me to play Orion (Metallica) with him and his drummer at the school talent show (their guitarist graduated from highschool, so I guess I'm replacing). I'm not into it. It's long and the solo's beyond my skill level. Can anybody suggest a similar song that would be more suited to love play? (I really, really, want to do Enter Sandman, but he isn't into it.

When is the talent show? You could have months to practice. It's understandable if he's like, "NEXT WEEK MAN111." But if you've got a few months to practice alone and with the other two, it might not be so bad.

In the end, don't do something you absolutely don't want to do. Find a song all three of you can enjoy, or tell them to find someone else.
Spiral Out
play 'the thing that should not be'

so
****ing
metal
''Technological advancements are like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.'' - Albert Einstein