This thread is kind of in conjunction with the thread "High School Kids Listening to Blues?" but with much more emphasis on Jazz. Cause I like the blues and all, but I am way more into jazz (one of my favorite genres, I listen to it and play it every day). So I was wondering if anyone's school has people who listen to jazz? Like Miles, Coltrane, Wes Montgomery, Bird, Herbie Hancock, Joe Pass, Lee Morgan, John McLaughlin, etc...

I just graduated from High School and I was pretty much the only guy besides one of my good friends, who listened to jazz regularly, or even listened to it period.
Im not a huge jazz fan, but i can say that i really appriciate the music, and when I do get the chance to listen, I love it.
"Blues is what you got when everything else is
gone." - J.Lansdowne
im very slowly getting into it. i find myself listening to it more and more now.

i mostly like jazz thats mostly piano, bass and drums like Bill Evans and Vince Guaraldi (the guy who played the music for Charlie Brown)
I listen to jazz (funk more, though, got that jive to keep me aliveduring school all the time (I'm a sophomore), and I've been listening to it since my parents played it for me when I was sleeping in the crib. Takes me to a whole other level; really centers me back to where I need to be.
For me, its pure bliss
I know some. I like Jeff Lorber... Mingus, Coltrane, Herbie Hancock... Idk, I like some jazz now and then.
I personally love jazz. I dont listen to it much but if someone puts it on i will listen to it forever. I think im one of the few kids in my school who listens to it. My friend does but me and him i think are the only two who do.
well, i play saxophone, as well as piano and guitar, so im huge into jazz.

my favs are gerry mulligan, stan getz, chet baker, charlie mingus, john coltrane, vince guaraldi, miles davis

and above all

DAVE BRUBECK.
I think I'm the only normal kid who truly loves jazz in my area. Most of the kids who listen to jazz are acne-faced socially-retarded band nerds who only listen to it to please the band teacher.
Quote by MastaBassist10
I think I'm the only normal kid who truly loves jazz in my area. Most of the kids who listen to jazz are acne-faced socially-retarded band nerds who only listen to it to please the band teacher.

HEY! band nerds FTW

just for the record im not an acne-faced-socially-retarded kid. but i am in band
"Blues is what you got when everything else is
gone." - J.Lansdowne
Our highschool doesn't have a huge following for jazz, but there are definitely more then 10 people into it at merely a listening level. My theory teacher/drummer's dad who plays some mean jazz piano and was taught by Lyle Mays for a while plays jazz for us on a daily basis.

I would say me, my best friend, and my drummer are probably the biggest jazz fans in the school, seeing as it's basically the only music we play. It's always fun reccomending my favorite records to my theory teacher cause he usually plays them on friday, for example something like Michael Brecker's Pilgrimage might be played that day.

P.S. Just got Adam Rogers new cd Time and the Infinite and it's ten kinds of amazing. Also Jonathan Kreisberg's new album South of Everywhere came today also and it's become my favorite album of his to date. Check them out.
Co-Founder of the Jazz Guitarist Community. PM me or Zeppelin256 to join.

Come listen to Zeppelin256 and I jam over some jazz tunes! Unit 7
Quote by GD_GC
HEY! band nerds FTW

just for the record im not an acne-faced-socially-retarded kid. but i am in band

It was a gross generalization
My school's good like that. There's a fairly large group of people who are into it (including a few incredible players).
Then again, there are a whole lot more who listen exclusively to techno/house/whateveritscalled, but I guess you can't have it all... I just ****ing hate the parties these people go to.
How may The National D help you waste your time?
I listen to a lot of old jazz guys like Karl Cress, Eddie Land and i'm at school (ish)

I also like some John scofield, went to see him live, pretty sweet.

I LOVE Monty Alexander though, best Jazz pianist out there (in my opinion )
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
There generally aren't too many high school kids that dig jazz, but I know quite a few (and most of them are my friends ) that go to my school, or who graduated last year
Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up.
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit.
Quote by GD_GC
Im not a huge jazz fan, but i can say that i really appriciate the music, and when I do get the chance to listen, I love it.

Same here.
Quote by The National D
My school's good like that. There's a fairly large group of people who are into it (including a few incredible players).
Then again, there are a whole lot more who listen exclusively to techno/house/whateveritscalled, but I guess you can't have it all... I just ****ing hate the parties these people go to.

Where do you live, cause I wanna move there. I house.
i'm probably the only one who says "i like jazz" and actually listen to it

my ex-girlfriend (who's a drummer) it's always saying

"jazz is so awesome, better than all your crappy bands"

the cool thing is that, she doesn't even listens to jazz
Yeah, totally man. I listen to a lot of jazz, and so do my friends. Plus, I know a lot of people who are big into funk/ fusion kinda stuff.
I listen to tons of jazz. My school's jazz major program (grade 9-12. i'm in 9) is what got me into jazz seriously. I have to play some Miles for a test!!! Jazz is the ultimate chill-out music.
Currently in blues mode.
I've been getting into more jazz lately. I don't really like much of the slow stuff (except, for some reason, when it's played by Miles Davis. 'Round Midnight is amazing), but I'd say the only two jazz guys I listen too are Jaco Pastorius and Miles Davis. I need more though, especially some more funk.
Hah, I thought I was the only person my age who enjoyed jazz.

I'm a junior and a member of the band and jazz band at my school. The sad part about our jazz band is we play no real jazz. 90% of our songs are funk and rock. We do have a really horribly arranged version of Afro Blue and Take 5 though. I'm also probably the only young kid around my town who actually plays Jazz guitar too. I started a jazz/blues quartet with a few of my older friends and we've been playing around town a lot, getting lots of compliments for actually playing jazz.

Its always funny being on the bus listening to Time Out or Heavy Weather on my ipod, then having some take my headphones expecting some crappy punk-pop. I always get a funny look.
I think it takes a certain bit of maturity and personal development, and some dank headies for a person to get into jazz. while I was in high school (which was maybe 3 years ago) - I was listening to obscene amounts of shred-oriented music, all forms (and I mean it) and obscene amounts of metal - over the last few years, as I have a matured and changed as a person, I've found myself getting into funk, acid jazz, jazz and jazz fusion, and electronica/psy a lot more -

as a person evolves so does his tastes in music, and his approach to music (if the person's a musician)
Quote by Axegrinder#9
I think it takes a certain bit of maturity and personal development, and some dank headies

indeed it does.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.