Gear: Strat w/DiMarzio humbucker
Pedals: Line 6 Uber Metal distortion pedal; Alesys Phlngr

I did a search but didn't find any threads mentioning the Uber Metal, so I thought I'd start this one. Okay, so I go to Guitar Center last week to buy a new distortion pedal (since I can't find my old Metal Zone pedal 'cause all my stuff was packed away) . I try out the Rat, the "new" BigMuff and some Pod modelers. I used to have an original BigMuff long ago, and the new one doesn't sound nearly as "fuzzy." Then, I try the Line 6 Uber Metal, and I'm immediately impressed by the variety of tones and its cool "scoop" pot. It also had a built-in noise gate, so the pedal is ultra-quiet.

Now, I started a whole other thread on tube-based preamps, so I'm also off on a whole other mission now. Anyway, I just wanted to gather some opinions from you all (both good and bad) on how you think the Uber Metal stacks up against the rest. Thanks for any replies.

Line 6 Uber Metal [about $80]
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Oct 1, 2007,
the uber metal owns, my friend was in ther market for a new pedal, and i recomended him the tubescreamer, and he really liked it, then my local shop owner told him to try the uber metal, since he knows we're metal heads, and you can get such a good variety of tone from that thing, he ended up taking it over the tubesceramer, and if/when i need a pedal, i'm probably getting the uber metal
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
Yes, I agree, the Uber Metal really screams, and has a lot of tonal range. But I'm on my tube-preamp mission now because I still want a smoother break-up from "clean" to full-on "fuzz." Perhaps smoother than is possible on a digital, non-tube pedal? But, the Uber is so . . . "Uber" that I may keep it as well (I'm still under the 30-day return period). I just wondered how it stacked up against, say a Tube Screamer (thanks for that mini-review), the Boss Metal Core, etc. Or even some of the boutique distortion pedals. Although, I think I'm pretty set on getting the dual-tube Damage Control Demonizer preamp pedal, since it got raves in the other thread I started here.
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Oct 1, 2007,
well my friend tried teh metal core (i wasn't there) and he said he prefered the uber metal, but this is comng from 2 big metal heads, so if you want a variety of genres, don't listen to me, but for metal, the uber metal owns everything i think, mainly because theres double the controls the tubescreamer has, but it's all personal preference
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
Quote by ChaoticVengence
well my friend tried teh metal core (i wasn't there) and he said he prefered the uber metal, but this is comng from 2 big metal heads, so if you want a variety of genres, don't listen to me, but for metal, the uber metal owns everything i think, mainly because theres double the controls the tubescreamer has, but it's all personal preference

Thanks! Good information. If he's a metal head, and actually preferred the Uber over the Metal Core (even though it's an analog pedal), then, I'm likely to agree too. Not always the easiest thing to demo every pedal in the store at Guitar Center.

haha im playing on mine right now

its awseome!!!
Quote by rockybo
I'm making an igloo in my backyard later and smoking a bong in it.
i dunno, i didn't really like it. not sure why, just didn't feel right, then again i'm not really a metal head, just like metal. And i think i get a great metal tone from my jcm900 with my tubescreamer, and thought that the uber metal just wasn't as good. just my 2p, obviously more people like it tho, but its just my experience with it.

to the people that mentioned tubescreamers, for a clean amp a distortion pedal such as the uber metal is the way to go, as the tubescreamer is and overdrive pedal, designed to do what it says - overdrive a valve amp. ie, get a bluesy sound. last time i checked, blues guitarists use noway near as much gain as metal guitarists. tubescreamers can be used in conjuction with an already driven valve amp for a great metal tone as they tighten up the gain, and can push a classic rock/vintage metal/hair metal etc, sounding amp into higher gain metal territories. basicly, they're not designed for the same job as the distortion pedals, such as the uber metal.
Quote by TehJermie
you can get that toneblaster stack at the cost of your dignity.

Quote by silhouettica
fine, screw the cheese sandwich if you must...

Last edited by hairball at Oct 1, 2007,