I recently sold an amp on ebay. And I got an estimate online of about 70$ for shipping...

After taking my amp to my local UPS place, they gave me an estimate of 70$ for shipping which im fine with. But as for the packaging, which I was expecting to be 10 or 20$, was outrageous.

They wany 98$ for the packaging (Which is a double cardboard box, and some bubble wrap) Which is ridiculous, 100$ for a cardboard box, and bouble wrap? So I guess im wondering how yall shipped this kind of stuff.

I talked to some people and said you can go to like walmart and get some of their boxes that they've taken stuff out off and usually throw them away. So at the moment im planning on finding a box big enough to fit my amp with about an extra 2 inches which I would fill would bubble wrap. And then hopefully another cardboard box that that fits in.

I did an estimate online, I made the dimensions bigger then the ones they gave me, and made is a few pounds heavier (I got the exact weight at 64.4 lbs on their scale) and also selected to have a large box and them pack it and the total came out to be like 90$ total shipped.

100$ for a cardboard box is just ridiculous. and other suggestions?
as always thanks
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
I guess just go around to some appliance stores and see if they'll give you a couple of their old boxes. It shouldn't be a problem, as they just throw them away anyway. They usually have boxes at office supply stores too, along with bubble wrap.
yeah sounds pretty outrageous. i never ship amps i just do local pickup a whole lot cheaper. i would just say pack it yourself and of course get insurance.
Deacon of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join
speed demon of the UG Jeepers
Member of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM Hamish5178 to join~
so I called the guitar center, and told them I sold an amp on ebay, and that I was wondering if they could help me get a box to ship it with.

The guy basically said they didnt really do that, but then I told him I plan on buying a 500$ amp from them when I get this guy on ebay to pay me, and he immediately told me he could get me some boxes for shipping that would fit it perfectly for me if I bought the amp.

haha, so I feel better now, :P

but 100$ for a cardboard box... damn...lol
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Yeah, that's pretty ridiculous... I went to this "budget box + bag" place in town and it was $50 for the shipping and $15 packing.
  • Gibson LP Special
  • Fender MIM Strat
  • Orange Rocker 30 head w/ PPC212
  • Keeley modded TS9, Morley BH2, Boss TU-2, Boss DD-20

Member of the Orange Revolution Club
Okay, get a box that fits the amp pretty well. Put a thin layer of bubble wrap and/or packing peanuts in it and then put this box into a bigger box so that there is approximately 4-6 inches on each side of the inner box. Then fill the bigger box with tons of packing peanuts and put the little box into the big box. I have found that this is the best way to ship amps.