Right so, I'm currently saving for a new amp (ENGL Thunder) after that's done I'm taking a break from saving so I can have a social life again, then I'm saving for a new guitar. I've always wanted a V and a few have caught my eye, unfortunately with my poor paying job I can't save up large amounts as it takes far too long, so really I'm looking for quality at lower prices, something that can be worked on even.

Epiphone Korina Flying V 1958 reissue

Looks very nice, the gold will obviously fade but that's not a big concern, pretty cheap, I like korina seems pretty good

Epiphone Ltd Flying V 1967 Black and White

Very good looking but I rarely play alder guitars so am not sure how I would like it (will of course start trying some)

Dean V79 Stoptail

Mahogany body = big + but I rarely hear good things about deans low end guitar, but that's mainly the dimebag crap. very much dislike the headstock

Dean Michael Schenker Standard

Big schenker fan and would love the custom (which I've played) despite the fugly headstock, but I feel the standard may be a severe let down

it's also basswood, god knows if it's good quality or not

Well that's all i've been able to find, any other suggestions are very welcome, bear in mind I'm in the UK, can't build my own and want a VINTAGE looking V

Thanks

edit: Tokais are also in mind
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Last edited by Storm_Bringer_ at Oct 1, 2007,
I'd say hunt down a used gibson. i just bought one of musicians friend... with shipping and currency conversion it ended up being under $700... so you might be able to find a used one for the ball park of $400.
+1 about the headstocks on both those guitars
i hate those pointy ones
Quote by .arkness:.
I did it in the church confession booth. i jizzed all over the mesh in an attempt to hit the priest.
esp are too spikey
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
yeah i'll keep an eye out towards the time, but I don't want to be sitting forever waiting for that perfect deal to come along so a back-up would be good, then I can kick myself when the perfect deal goes by as soon as I place my order
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
tokai/edwards.

my eddie came in today, it's sweet (not a v). assuming a similar quality of the edwards v's, and the fact they're a little cheaper than mine, if you're willing to go to more like £450, that'd be what i'd go for.

i'm not sure i've seen a japanese tokai v. Not to say they haven't done one, but I haven't seen one in any of the shops around here.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ nor i, i hear lots of great stuff about edwards, but how the heck can youunderstand that website? >.< lol

edit: nvm, google translated it, or some of it

Under £300 for the guiar, but due to it all being japanese I can't figure out what postage will be, or how to actually order it lol
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Last edited by Storm_Bringer_ at Oct 1, 2007,
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-VBlade-VBT700-Electric-Guitar?sku=512556

the pickups are DiMarzio D Activators (active pickups),
which are relatively new to my knowledge, and they
only come stock in this V and the Xiphos.

other then this id suggest the Gibson Flying V of course.

and if you can lay your hands on that Michael Schenker,
then buy it nao.

it sucks that you don't like "pointy" guitars, or else id reccommend right off
the Dave Mustaine VMNT1 Signature V =]
custom active livewire signature pups FTW
^ I know I know, but there's just something sassy about the gibson V shape
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
its funny, because i feel the exact opposite
i find the gibson V's to be.....ooglay. lol
they're so generic.
but then again, you'd probably notice this from me seeing as ive got
an alexi.....HEHEHE =]

you really should look into getting the DM VMNT1 man.
the only reason i DIDNT get it was because it doesn't have a tremolo.
and i dont want to break the guitar doing neck bends.

anyways, look into the Ibanez V Blade, its not exactly pointy, lol, and it pwns the gibson.
^ I'm afraid the vintage look is what I'm after, that and the livewires really aren't my kind of thing
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
ah....then you need a Gibson Flying V....nothing else.

don't even read anymore of this thread :p
go get it nao.
then take pictures of it and show me it
however much i don't like gibson v's, i still appreciate them,
and love looking at guitars anyway
Quote by Storm_Bringer_
^ nor i, i hear lots of great stuff about edwards, but how the heck can youunderstand that website? >.< lol

edit: nvm, google translated it, or some of it

Under £300 for the guiar, but due to it all being japanese I can't figure out what postage will be, or how to actually order it lol

postage is around £65. you'l;l get charged customs (probably) on it when it gets here- that'll be (i think- don't quote me, i haven't had to pay them yet, i'm willing to, but i'm obviously not sure exactly how much they'll be) around 21% of the guitar + postage.

most of it is in english:

http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/webshop/guitar/esp/edwards/efv80d.htm

http://www.ishibashi-music.com/ (the email address is there). you email them, NOT from a hotmail address (they won't read it, so i hear), with "International Question" as the subject. You should get a reply in a day or two telling you of the availability, confirming the price etc., and if you're willing to go ahead, they'll send you a link to put in your credit card details...

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
email them with the model I'm interested in and all my details i presume?
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
no just email them with the model you're interested in, and the colour (or if you aren't sure, ask the availability of all the colours). Tell them what country you're in (they may not ship to some of the countries known to be involved in a lot of internet fraud), and just check they still ship to the UK.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
great stuff. you deserve an award for the most helpful guy on UG lol cheers
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Try a Gibson Faded V. 400 pounds is about $800 American, right? Well over enough.
There ain't no moral to this story at all. Anything I tell you very well could be a lie.
they are £600 here, and definitely not worth the £600
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
also, i should probably mention gordon smiths might be worth a look. though if i remember right, they're a bit more cash... perhaps only the one-pickup version would fall around £400 (if it's even that cheap).

EDIT: ^ agreed. i'd put my edwards up against a les paul standard at £1500, and it'd hold its own. It'd annihilate a faded series (at least any of the fadeds i've tried... i haven't tried a faded V)). I assume the v's are of similar quality.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
sorry to bump this, man, but I've just remembered that edwards V isn't in the lacquer taste series (i.e. no nitrocellulose lacquer over the poly base coat). I haven't tried any of the non-LTS series guitars, but i think the general consensus is that the LTS ones have the mojo. Of course, plenty of people like the non-LTS ones too...

just worth bearing in mind, I guess.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
is the nitro the only difference? and howcould a thin coating affect sound so much that it would make or break the guitar? if it's the case i'll have it applied sure enough but I would think there's more to it than just a coating
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
i think the nitro is the only difference, i have no idea though; it is a pretty small difference in price, though, it's not like the LTS ones are twice as expensive. generally a thinner finish feels better, and sounds better, lets the wood resonate more. I know the nitro finish on mine feels a lot better than that sticky finish you can get on LTD's and schecters... it sounds pretty resonant too.

up to you, i guess. i know there are a couple of edwardses i wouldn't mind getting eventually which aren't in the LTS series (that V, and a lp custom with p90's), but i'll probably go with the LTS ones i want first. If it came down to it and when i want to buy them they still haven't released an LTS version, I probably wouldn't let that put me off, but having not tried them, I could be (very) wrong. LOL.

I suspect it's worth chancing- i mean, it should beat the crap out of a chinese epi ok, even without the nitro. It just might feel more like a high-end LTD (then again you'd pay £800-£900 here for one of those, so i guess it's still all good). But i just though I'd better mention it when i remembered...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
for the price i don't think there's really much to complain about then, thanks for your help
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
yeah, i mean mine is nicer than that LTD ec1000 deluxe that marcus were asking almost £900 for. Nicer than their gibson LP classic antique too at £1200, if you ask me (though the jb isn't just as nice as the classic 57 bridge pickup, and the electronics aren't amazing, but other than that...)... i prefer it to those £600 MIJ tokais the guitar emporium has, but it's not just as nice as their £1000 tokai relic LP.

So, er, yeah. I can't see you getting much better for the price, new.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Oct 3, 2007,
I would forget the vintage and look to the Jackson RR3. Good wood, good set of pu's (seymour's), good licensed floyd, good neck. Randy played a jackson guitar with this shap, so i think it's vintage to
sorry but, that gets a simple nope. if i was after those kinds oif shapes i'd be having absolutely no problems, but thanks anyway
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD