Does anyone own/played the Crate FW412 FlexWave Halfstack? All the reviews on guitarcenter.com say it's a GREAT sounding amp, with built in Chorus, Flanger, Phaser, and of course Reverb. And a TOTAL steal at $500.
But I'm also looking for a versitile amp that will last me a while, hopefully forever, with a few upgrades like speakers or something.

So, can someone please tell me about the amp? Preferrably someone who has owned it for a while. Thanks.

My main guitar is first in my sig.
guitarcenter.com would say a cat in a microwave sounded good if they could make a quick buck out of it. EDIT: oh those are the user reviews. I guess those people must be brain-dead or something. or else the people who buy britney spears records.

I've tried one of the solid state crate heads, and it sounded horrid. Like crate bought some beehives so they could save on transistor costs.

what type of music do you play? will you be gigging? rough budget?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The guitarcenter.com reviews are USER reviews, dude..

I play pretty much everything.. from funk to death metal. That's why I need a versitile amp.
And VERY tight budget; I'm not rich, oh no...
Aaaaand, I'll be gigging lightly. My old band broke up, and I'm currently looking to form/join one.

I was planning on sticking with the FW412 for a while, until I can afford a Marshall JCM800 head or something, but not for a while.
i'd probably consider the peavey valveking 112 ($400) combo, or if you don't play too much metal, maybe the peavey classic 30 combo. the crate palominos (tube combos) are meant to be nice too, i think there's a 30 watter for around $500, i haven't been able to try them though as they're pretty rare over here (no shortage of the crate solid state crap, though )...

i'd take a look into those...

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Alright, thanks. But, last time I was at GC, they had **** for Peaveys. Like.. 3 or something, and they were all under $100.
Sooo.. yeah. I'll look around some more.
Quote by Dave_Mc
i'd probably consider the peavey valveking 112 ($400) combo, or if you don't play too much metal, maybe the peavey classic 30 combo. the crate palominos (tube combos) are meant to be nice too, i think there's a 30 watter for around $500, i haven't been able to try them though as they're pretty rare over here (no shortage of the crate solid state crap, though )...

i'd take a look into those...

Thats because of the abundance of uneducated guitarists who picked up guitar to be 'cool'. They think...OMG 10000 different sounds gotta get it!
Dad! I need 500 bucks for this crate halfstack!! only pros use it!!
2 seconds later a puppy dies, and someone owns a new crate halfstack.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
To Mr. MC, I bought the cat in the microwave at a total steal of $2300, and it sounds awesome, so don't diss them.

But to add on, yeah tube amps are the way to go when it comes to gigs. A lower wattage tube can provide a lot more power than a crappy high-watt solid state. Plus, if you're not gigging too much, combos are the way to go because they're easy to lug around. May not look as cool as a stack, but sound is way more important.

+1 to the Peavey, might just get a pedal if you're going to be going a lot on the metal.
Well... As I said, I'd be doing light gigging, if none at all with the FW412 if I got it.
So, when I start gigging a lot more, it'd be the time I could afford a Marshall head, and that's what I was planning.

Note: I'm in high school. I'm on an extremely tight budget and I still haven't figured out why I'm using all my damn money on amps and guitars, so $500 for a halfstack that sounds pretty decent and has 4 effects built in, AND comes with a footswitch... hey. It's not bad.
it is when it sounds like ass. those users who said it's good are idiots. I'll bet they had it for about one day (if even that) before writing the review.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Eminored
Did you actually play that amp though? Turn it up to higher volumes and listen for quality? Then compared it to other amps around the same price range-- disregarding looks and advertisements?

I can awnser that for him!
No.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Yeah, I've played it, but not too loud. Maybe half-volume, because it was at my friend's place (he has one), and he's pretty good and pretty knoledgable.

And.. like I've now said three times, I probably won't even be gigging at all, and by the time I am, I'll be able to afford a MUCH better head.
I don't need a damn $9000 fullstack for my first REAL, not total ****, amp.
we aren't telling you to buy a $9000 half-stack, we're telling you to buy a tube combo which is the same price or cheaper, and which will sound better, at lower volumes too. jeez.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I know.
I was looking at a Marshall combo 2x12 for the same price, so I'unno.
Quote by foob85
Yeah, I've played it, but not too loud. Maybe half-volume, because it was at my friend's place (he has one), and he's pretty good and pretty knoledgable.

And.. like I've now said three times, I probably won't even be gigging at all, and by the time I am, I'll be able to afford a MUCH better head.
I don't need a damn $9000 fullstack for my first REAL, not total ****, amp.

Good fullstacks are only $4000 at most
The crate cab sucks too. If its just for your bedroom do you really think that you need a f*king halfstack? Just get the goddamn combo tube...you get a way better sound at a way more reasonable volume.

Either this
Get a swiss cake roll (tube combo)
Or a rotten head of lettuce (halfstack)

I dont know which one id take....(Im leaning to the little debbie, honestly

Quote by foob85
I know.
I was looking at a Marshall combo 2x12 for the same price, so I'unno.

If its a marshall MG, its trash too.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
I have a Crate Flexwave FW65 combo amp, and it's quite decent for solid state. Is it as good as a tube amp? Obviously not. If you can't afford a tube amp, then don't buy one. Don't listen to the hordes of people on this forum who will tell you you're an idiot for going solid state. There's nothing wrong with it, if it sounds good to you then what does it matter.
However, go try it yourself before you do anything.
Quote by gbeaks33
I have a Crate Flexwave FW65 combo amp, and it's quite decent for solid state. Is it as good as a tube amp? Obviously not. If you can't afford a tube amp, then don't buy one. Don't listen to the hordes of people on this forum who will tell you you're an idiot for going solid state. There's nothing wrong with it, if it sounds good to you then what does it matter.

Solid states are awesome, if you're just practicing or recording. But, if he's going to be gigging or playing for other people, then he's not going to get the same nice sound. But yeah, I'm saying, crank it up to a high volume and see how it works. Or buy a cat in a microwave.
Quote by gbeaks33

THANK YOU. I ask for advice and I get replies telling me I'm an idiot and I should use money I DON'T ****ING HAVE to buy an amp I don't want. Damn..
I only wanted to know about the goddam amp.
I went to guitar center saturday and was watching some guy play on a bunch of SS crate amps, this was one of them, needless to say, they were all horrible sounding. Too bad, he was good guitarist too.

And as to your post above me, you DO have enough cash to buy a very nice tube combo and have a much better tone. Don't be yelling at people when you don't know what you're talking about.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by which ones pink
^Exactly, there are tons of good tube amps that cost the same or less than that Crap, er, I mean Crate halfstack.

Truth. I know several amps that sound much better and run for the same price, slightly more, or even less.

Quote by gbeaks33
I have a Crate Flexwave FW65 combo amp, and it's quite decent for solid state. Is it as good as a tube amp? Obviously not. If you can't afford a tube amp, then don't buy one.

It's not like tube amps aren't affordable....You're just looking at the wrong ones...
Quote by foob85
THANK YOU. I ask for advice and I get replies telling me I'm an idiot and I should use money I DON'T ****ING HAVE to buy an amp I don't want. Damn..

WE ARE GIVING YOU ADVICE
Now shut up about that crate and ask for recommendations on tube amps
No one is telling you to spend more money. They are advising you to get a tube combo in the same price range, which will be: Smaller and thus more practical; loud enough; better sounding.

I owned a Crate modelling amp for a couple of years. At first I was really happy with it, because of the versatility. Lots of effects and whatnot. But after a while, I realized that none of the tones I got from it sounded really good, they were ok at best. And I never used the built-in effects anyway, because they sounded so digital and ****ty.

So I do understand that an amp like this can be tempting. But you will grow out of it after a while, and regret you ever bought it.
a crate half stack is about $500?

ebay around for a peavey 6505 combo, or similar. for about a $100 more you can have a tube combo that can seriously punish anyone within a 40 foot radius
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Truth. I know several amps that sound much better and run for the same price, slightly more, or even less.

agreed.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by foob85

It seems to me you were just looking for someone to support your choice, hence your THANK YOU!!!! when someone commented the FW.

Take the advice of everyone else on here, even if you don't go tube, get a better solid state. Or something that isn't Crate. (Although they have some pretty cool tube amps).
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220
Leave it to UGer's to argue over who "owns" a language

Man the amp isn't going to sound good if you try to play it in a band. Solid State Crates clip at more than medium volume and sound muddy. There are good tube combos in your price range. If you really want a Crate you can pick up an old used Crate combo with plenty of power any day of the week for $50-150 USD. I know about Crates, I've been playing them on and off ever since they started making them. Got an old one right now, and I promise you the old ones sound way better than the new Flexwaves, but they are no more reliable. Don't spend that kind of money on a new one.
Quote by foob85

Ohh emm gee.

Dude, EVERY person is telling you to get a tube combo for the same price or even LESS.

How can you have $500 to spend on a piece of crap you will regret buying in 2 months when you can maybe even spend LESS and get a combo, or even a halfstack if that's what you really want, that will sound about 2029384093280928 times better?

THINK.

Try 5150 combos, their pretty cheap, around the $500 range, or, maybe a valveking combo.

//Shakes head.
My Setup!
Schecter C-1 Elite..

Laney GH50L
Crate GX412 Cab
Crate XT65R

EHX Holy Grail
BBE Sonic-Stomp Sonic Maximizer.

Member #24 of the EHX Guild
Quote by foob85

Kinda makes you the idiot because nobody ever said that. Last I checked we're telling you to use that some money if not less and get a better tube amp..
Quote by foob85

We gave you advice, told you the amp was poor-sounding and to get a valve combo amp for a similar price for better tone. Go play a Valveking, it'll have all the volume you ever need and is cheap.

We don't need to tell you you're an idiot for ignoring our advice, the connection is made when you turn down advice. Personally, I'll leave you to it. If you do buy the Crate, it'll only be you who regrets it.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Hmm..maybe he's one of those types that likes that "Reverse Psychology" nonsense.

So...

Get teh Crate, j00 can play t3h br00talz.

Tis GR3AT D00D!
My Setup!
Schecter C-1 Elite..

Laney GH50L
Crate GX412 Cab
Crate XT65R

EHX Holy Grail

Member #24 of the EHX Guild
Quote by SchecterGates
Hmm..maybe he's one of those types that likes that "Reverse Psychology" nonsense.

So...

Get teh Crate, j00 can play t3h br00talz.

Tis GR3AT D00D!

But T3h OVER Peeple SED it XWASNT GOOD U sux No0b
Quote by MrCarrot
We gave you advice, told you the amp was poor-sounding and to get a valve combo amp for a similar price for better tone. Go play a Valveking, it'll have all the volume you ever need and is cheap.

We don't need to tell you you're an idiot for ignoring our advice, the connection is made when you turn down advice. Personally, I'll leave you to it. If you do buy the Crate, it'll only be you who regrets it.

agreed. you aren't asking for advice if you only want opinions which back up what you already think.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Horlicks
But T3h OVER Peeple SED it XWASNT GOOD U sux No0b

I are not a n00b.
My Setup!
Schecter C-1 Elite..

Laney GH50L
Crate GX412 Cab
Crate XT65R

EHX Holy Grail