Was there ever a song/piece that had a huge impact on your tastes in music?

Page 1 of 2
I had never been that big on Classical music. Needless to say, many of you know I am, now. But it was this video in particular that not only made me become a Classical guitarist, but made me listen to Classical music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1i_2HYmJkA

Have any of you guys had just one piece of music in particular to do this to you?
yea stairway to heaven, i never liked rock before the 90s untill i heard that song.
The moment I went to Jamaica, I came back totally influence by the culture and music. I'm still into the rock though but reggae and ska all the way too.
One Love

“One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain” -Bob Marley
The Wicker Man by Iron Maiden

Changed me from Pop Punk/Ska to Metal
Quote by Monolith295
Tobysaurus is one sexy man.

Quote by Kensai
I think I love you Tobysaurus!

Quote by CFH82
God damn, you've given me a boner Toby!
Beck's "Where It's At" got me into rap music.
My all gold grills give her cold chills
Said she gotta coke feel cuz I'm sooo trill.
How many threads do you make in a week? lol :p

Probably listening to the songs Miller's son by Robben Ford and Stage Fright by Carl Kress
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Night Train by Guns N Roses which then lead me on to hear Battery by Metallica. I've loved Metal ever since.
When life gives you lemons just say fuck the lemons and bail

Quote by Duffman123
The first time I saw his name I thought it said cunt Seanula >_>

True story.
Dimmu Borgir - Progenies of a Great Apocalypse set me off into black metal, and Morbid Angel - Where The Slime Live (live) set me into (real) death metal.
I'm a communist. Really.
Quote by JC13
I listened to a lot of heavy stuff, but nothing with what most people call "death growls", or "screams"... It just always annoyed me, then I listened to Children of Bodom (I think the song Lake Bodom) and thought "man... these guys do it right!". Now a lot of my music is more extreme types of mettle.

Yea basically same here...I used to listen to Three Days Grace or whatever. Then I listened to Follow the Reaper and Bed of Razors. Nao I am Intoo t3h M3TT@LLZLZ LAWZL!!! XD
there've been a lot in my life..... but lately (this year) i heard ocean by JBT for the first time...

it really shocked me... i think differently towards what a good guitar instrumental piece is now....
Pachuca Sunrise by Minus the Bear. I was always a heavy rock/metal guy until I heard that song. Now I primarily play and listen to mellow alt rock and math rock.
Wierdly Dimmu Borgir's Progenies of the Great Apocalypse, was the responsible for my musical open-mindness... Today I listen to all kinds of genres from blues and jazz to hard rock, classic rock, All kinds of metal and a lot of flamenco and classical pieces.
Weird Al = Awesome
Buckethead = Awesome
Ergo, Awesome = Buckethead = Weird Al
Quote by Hart_Attack
the logic... its. so. precise! you broke the code! hail Omni-Ragnarok for answering lifes biggest question, who is buckethead.
Harvest by Opeth. That got me into Opeth, that in turn got me into progressive metal, then progressive music altogether.
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life."
-Frank Zappa

"Where words fail, music speaks."
-Hans Christian Andersen
Quote by meh!
How many threads do you make in a week? lol :p

Probably listening to the songs Miller's son by Robben Ford and Stage Fright by Carl Kress

He's actually my favorite threadstarter on UG.

For me: Back in sixth grade or so, listening to Stairway to Heaven got me interested in music, and made me fall in love with classic rock. Don't tell her, but recently I started cheating on classic rock with experimental and alternative after hearing Portugal. The Man's "It's Complicated Being A Wizard."
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
Otherside - RHCP introduced me to rock
Moonshield - In Flames got me into metal
Home - Dream Theater got me into heaven
Metropolis Pt. 1 by Dream Theater

that song opened up a whole new chapter in my life.
"The Drapery Falls" by Opeth really thrust me into progressive metal, and melodic death metal.

"Trashed, Lost and Strungout" by Children of Bodom is what really, really got me into the melodic death metal stuff. I went from them, to Arch Enemy, Dark Tranquility, At the Gates, In Flames, until I found Opeth (see above).

"Selkies: The Endless Obsession" by BTBAM put me into a more technical/'mathcore' kind of styling.
Spiral Out
Quote by The Madcap
I had never been that big on Classical music. Needless to say, many of you know I am, now. But it was this video in particular that not only made me become a Classical guitarist, but made me listen to Classical music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1i_2HYmJkA

Have any of you guys had just one piece of music in particular to do this to you?

First, I'm going to agree with you, that video made me want to do something other than just every song Slash had written. The ...And Justice For All album actually got me into the more structured, neo-classical metal stuff. "Lotus Feet" and "Europa" got me really into solo guitar and constructing my own songs.
I think it was "Circumstances" by Rush, either that or something off the Hemispheres album, which really made me think "WOW, MUSIC RULES", but Status Quo inspired me to pick up a guitar and learn something.

Then the bass behind thE solo in War Pigs made me think, "**** guitar, bass is WHERE ITZ ATTTTT!"

And I got into psytrance and all things electrically made from Save The Robot. Word.
This week I have mostly been listening to...

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
As an additional remark, I would advise everybody to stfu and listen to Buz XD

my brother grew me up on a lot of 90's music (nirvana, sound garden, alice in chains, rage against the machine, korn, limp bizkit, incubus, stone temple pilots) and a lot of metallica, but when my best friend and fellow guitarist gave me led zeppelin 2, it opening my mind to the greatest composers of all time.

from LZ2 i branched off into the rest of the zeppelin albums, and then further explored into Jimi Hendrix, my biggest influence in music. Jimi Hendrix and Jimmy Page, two of the greatest composers ever, are the two i referred to earlier.

edit: by the way, that link the threadstarter gave is a wonderful and soothing piece, i can understand why you are very influenced in classical music. it makes me want to grab my acoustic guitar and write a mellow piece.
Quote by Mad Marius
Because there's no point in being on the Internet of you're not gonna act like an arrogant prick.
Last edited by guitarshark2099 at Oct 1, 2007,
toxicity by system of a down got me into the heavier stuff, and i went on to iron maiden and kept gonig on to heavier and heavier stuff and eventually Death and other death metal bands.

Halo by the Cure got me into more alternative music like depeche mode and bauhaus.
Quote by zwart_gitaar

Dismemberment gives me an erection!
i saw ratm for the first time doing testify on the vmas back in 2000, i immediately went over to my squier and practice amp and tryed to touch the cable to the bridge of my guitar
gear

Fender Standard Tele (with kill-switch)
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature wah
I think it was Chopin's Nocturne Op. 9 No. 2 in Eb major or something like that. That 4-5 minutes or so of piano bliss made me explore other instrumental music and thus in tern gave me a greater appreciation for music.
Oh, and Isolation by Joy Division got me into post-rock/synth rock.
My all gold grills give her cold chills
Said she gotta coke feel cuz I'm sooo trill.
Texas Flood - SRV

That song got me into blues, which led to me getting into jazz.
Quote by paulefty
Dr. No I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!
When I had first been getting into black metal, a lot of the "true" bands with the crappy production and whatnot I was like, "why would you want to do that on purpose?" Well, I was listening to Transilvanian Hunger about 9 or 10 months ago I'd guess, in the freezing cold, walking down my dirt road with the woods surrounding me, and I suddenly understood, and I fell madly in love with black metal that day.
Oh, and Swans made me cream a fair bit as well.
This week I have mostly been listening to...

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
As an additional remark, I would advise everybody to stfu and listen to Buz XD

Opeth - The Drapery Falls and Necrophagist - Fermented Offal Discharge got me into the beautiful realm of Death Metal and it's many subgenres
Grugne music got me into rock and made me want to become a gutiarist. gipsy kings, leonard cohen, and radiohead have made me explore other genres of music.
It's gonna be a blue day
I downloaded a lot of Chopin one day for whatever reason, and though I'd always appreciated the odd bit of classical I hadn't taken much interest in it. It now makes up the better part of my music folder.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Quote by Jonjy2
Yea basically same here...I used to listen to Three Days Grace or whatever. Then I listened to Follow the Reaper and Bed of Razors. Nao I am Intoo t3h M3TT@LLZLZ LAWZL!!! XD

Children of Bodom started me off with metal too! Clearly CoB kicks ass.
Quote by lushacrous
We Fly High by Jim Jones got me out of mainstream [c]rap, if that counts.

one bad song shouldnt make you stop liking a genre, and rap isnt crap
gear

Fender Standard Tele (with kill-switch)
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature wah