Yeah I want to get a 5 string music man bongo for my next bass, but I've got mixed reviews from friends on the bongo. some say its got amazing tone, others say its made only for looks. Anyone got any opinions? or possibly a better suggestion for a 5 string bass?
It's incredible. It's finger orgasm for slap bass players. (4-string version)
"This is The End, beautiful friend, The End"
Okay, just for looks? Clearly not, if you've ever looked at one. (Although I quite like it most don't). Anyway, tone-wise they are monsters. Most say they can achieve almost any tone under the sun they are so versatile.
Anyone who claims that Bongos sound bad doesn't know a damn thing about a good tone. Those things can get any tone you freaking want.
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
Those basses look terrible, They look like goldfish. But, they have excellent tone for slappers.
Bongos are frieking amazeing. very versitle. and HUGe sound ! it is like a stingray on steroids! Bongos are alot more of what stingrays already are. one of the only basses that come stock with a 4 band EQ as well.
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
I say for one thing dont listen to wat ur friends say.Ur getting a quality bass so no loss jus a matter of opinon if u like it or not
Quote by Damaged Roses
I don't really understand why basses have 24 frets, I mean, I've never seen a bassist playing more than the 12 fret.

My Gear-
Warwick Double Buck
Epiphone EB0
GK MB 210
Fender Rumble
Dave Larue (John Petrucci's solo album and G3 bassist, as well as currently being Joe Satriani's bassist) uses em.....so end of story, they own
Quote by CBurtonIsKing
Dave Larue (John Petrucci's solo album and G3 bassist, as well as currently being Joe Satriani's bassist) uses em.....so end of story, they own

Agreed...Dave LaRue is quite a fellow. After a month of pecking at it, I still fumble with the Lost Without You solo
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
if the Fender Jazz didn't exsist, i would play a Bongo! imo, it is the best bass EBMM offers. it has everything required to be a "modern" sounding bass. good feel, good sound, and the looks will grow on you.
personally they sound phenomenal but they are ugly really damn ugly
I am me. Live with it.
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
if the Fender Jazz didn't exsist, i would play a Bongo! imo, it is the best bass EBMM offers. it has everything required to be a "modern" sounding bass. good feel, good sound, and the looks will grow on you.

Second best. I'd say that a Stingray HH beats a Bongo in every department apart from looks.

But yes, try out an HH Stingray before you buy a Bongo - you might just prefer it.
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
I love all of you! lol

Finally a group of people praising a great bass. I used to be in love with Rickenbackers but I felt that I needed something with more tone versatility since I play in a group of bands that play many different genres so I opted for the Bongo. (greatest bass decision I ever made) The great thing about EBMM is that you can specify what you want in the bass as far as pickups go and I chose the tone monster above all others with the HHp configuration that is two humbuckers and a piezo pickup in the bridge. Anyway I am already rambling so I guess all there really is to say is that EBMM Bongos are great basses and you wouldn't be disappointed in getting one!
Co-Founder of The Geddy Lee Fanclub
PM me or timmEH to join

#1 Rush / Yes fan of The Bass Militia
PM Dinky to join

Founder of The Ernie Ball MusicMan owners club and proud owner of a Black Sapphire Bongo 4 HHp
PM me to join
HHp Bongo's must be one of the most versatile sounding basses available. All those pickup options on top of the great EQ. If it had a coil tap option, that would be simply awesome.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
If it was only for looks, why would John Myung be playing them?

because they are making a six-string for him?? No definetely for the tone: he's going back to the old stingray tone he had on When dream and day unite and images and words!
Quote by recondite11
because they are making a six-string for him?? No definetely for the tone: he's going back to the old stingray tone he had on When dream and day unite and images and words!

Actually, they weren't made for John, they aren't a specific signature model. They were making them, they asked John to try them out. He loved them.
Quote by SystemOVADown
http://youtube.com/watch?v=SLyV5JLvxM0 the sound cuts out at the best part

wtf? his strings are on backwords??
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Quote by Emergancy Exit
wtf? his strings are on backwords??

yeah he plays a lefty, and he slaps with his fingers and pops with his thumb
Personally, I didn't like it when I played one.

Why? Because it felt too busy down on the body, which I didn't like. To be fair, I didn't get a chance to plug it in...

Oh god, I may have to try one. It's going for about £600...
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
I love my Bongo and when they come out with the 6 string I may end up getting one.

They are really the most powerful active bass - you can get nearly everytone you want from it, it might take you a while to get the hang of it but you can get it.
If someone says the tone it sucks, they have no idea how to EQ it.

Idk ifs the bass for you. the HH model makes slapping a bit harder but doesnt take that much getting used to. Be sure to play it first. But I love the damn thing.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!