how do i get rid of the annoying picking noise while im on my distortion channel? Is that a noise gate that solves that?
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Yeah, picking with the very very tip of your pick helps a little, but if you do that, you miss strings a lot and overall it doesn't make much of a difference. Just deal with it I guess.

On the other hand, I'm not sure if a noise gate or something would solve that. Try it out.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
Try rolling back on yuor tone knob a bit, it will get rid of the higher end scratchyness. But thats hard to get rid of.

Do you have covered humbuckers? Those usualy get it the worst. You get a click, not a scratch.
Quote by kool98769
how do i get rid of the annoying picking noise while im on my distortion channel? Is that a noise gate that solves that?

You mean the sort of 'click' sound when your pick hits the string? The only thing you can about that is play entirely in legato. No amount of EQ or pedals will ever get rid of it, they'll just muffle it slightly.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
You just to have to live with it.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Well, could it be that im using a fender frontman? becacause it is LOUD when i dont want it to be. Hopefully this will be solved when i get my tube amp...
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by kool98769
Well, could it be that im using a fender frontman? becacause it is LOUD when i dont want it to be. Hopefully this will be solved when i get my tube amp...

No, i don't think so. Is because you're using enough gain to be able to amplify at hearable volumes, the scratch of the pick when is touching the strings. Listen to John Petrucci playing, he use a lot of gain and you can hear very clearly the picking noise and i doubt is because of his technique.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Lowering the treble and presence controls will reduce the harshness of the sound a little, but as everyone else has said, everyone gets it, just listen to Paul Gilbert or Jason Becker as examples. I personally think it sounds cool when you can hear the pick on fast runs etc..
You could try playing fingerstyle.

...no, it's not a solution really. You just have to live with it.
I like the picking noise
1950s Reissue Fender Stratocaster
Epiphone Gold Top Les Paul
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Ibanez TS-9
Boss BF-3
Boss DD-6
Wylde Signature Cry Baby
DigiTech Whammy 4
Quote by RoboRobot
I like the picking noise

Me too =( I makes a little "chiff" noise every time I pick.
DRAGONFORCE IS THE HARDEST METAL KNOWN TO MAN
you can always hear I think, but try 2.00 mm picks. Will remove much of it, and make it not annoying. Atleast IMO.
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
^I always seem to notice it more with thicker picks... :/

Take your axe into a local store, find an amp, take one of every pick they have, play for a minute or two with each pick, buy 12. EQ the amp to make the noise the least noticable before you start testing them all out too. :P
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220
Leave it to UGer's to argue over who "owns" a language

Try the Dunlop Stubby picks. You'll still get a bit of the picking sound, but they're far quieter than most other picks I've tried.