First off, what does the Rectifier part mean?

Single Rect Dual Rect Triple Rect, whats the difference? The real difference...

I had a Nomad Combo (out of date MB combo amp) and it's supposedly being fixed right now by the people at the factory but I can't get ahold of anyone to find out any real details. and Battle of the Bands is coming up real soon, and out of nowhere, and I need an amp.

I still have my cab, I just sent them the amp part of the combo.

Could I for example, put a Triple Rect or Dual Rect in the place of the Nomad amp? Would it fit? Would everything electronically work out?

Thanks for any info

-Matt
My username is old, don't judge me (but old 311 is good)
honestly, i'd just go get a totally new amp and return it after you play the show.
Gear:
ESP Eclipse 300
Jackson RR3
Bugera 6262 head
Trace Elliot straight cab
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
they use the word "Rectifier" as a name of their line of amps.

usually, a rectifier is a component in an amp that converts AC to DC. most tube amps these days use solid state rectifiers, which have a lot quicker response. older amps, and many reissues today use tube rectifiers, which have a more vintage feel to them.

Single Rectifer - 50watts, SS rectifier
Dual Rectifier - 100watts, switchable SS/tube rectifier
Triple Rectifier - 150watts, switchable SS/tube rectifier

a Rectifer sounds a lot different from a nomad. it;s a lot more aggressive and has lots of low end. they need to be turned up quite loud to get away from sounding thin and shrill usually.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Rectifier is just a cool name, every amp has a rectifier.

Yeah, if you have the funds get a new amp, if you can find one get a Mark IV they are nicee
Endorsed by Framus Amps

Quote by primusfan
you shoulda lynched that nigger.

*spits in spittoon and feels up his cousin*
the rectifier is a type of tube a 5v4 or 5y3 i think. dual recs have 2, triples have 3. the nomad doesnt have any rectifiers in it. dual recs are great amps if you want a new one.

most are solid state rectifiers, but there are only a few that are actually made with the tube. lots of mesas, the recs, the stilettos, the lonestar... and a few more. just a bit of a different sound, all about preference.
Last edited by CamaroEric+ at Oct 1, 2007,
All amps have rectifiers in them, some are solid state and some are tubes.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by bite_the_bullet
honestly, i'd just go get a totally new amp and return it after you play the show.

Might do that...can you do that? I would think that'd look pretty bad, what would you say to the people at the counter? "Well...it's just not for me." Ha.

But like the main thing I need to know is, can I put a dual or triple rec in the space above the mesa boogie nomad combo cab, where the nomad amp used to be, in the combo?

Will it fit, or do combo's not have like "support" to be able to use different amps. I could still crank it right? Like what would the cab support? 100 watts or up to 150, anyone got an idea?

Thanks for all the help so far by the way. Looks like a dual rec is what I'll be gunnin for, maybe a triple. Have to look into it a bit more, and/or ask more questions on here
I have gone to GC, bought stuff, used it for a night and returned it saying that it just didnt suit me. They don't ask questions.
Guitar
Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette Special
Washburn WI64
Martin D-15
Amps
1960s Harmony
Rocktron/Egnater TOL 50 2x12
Rivera Chubster 55
FX
Fulltone OCD v.1
Keeley TS808
Voodoo Labs Superfuzz
Wilson WH10
Boss DD-20
Quote by Three11Rules
Might do that...can you do that? I would think that'd look pretty bad, what would you say to the people at the counter? "Well...it's just not for me." Ha.

But like the main thing I need to know is, can I put a dual or triple rec in the space above the mesa boogie nomad combo cab, where the nomad amp used to be, in the combo?

Will it fit, or do combo's not have like "support" to be able to use different amps. I could still crank it right? Like what would the cab support? 100 watts or up to 150, anyone got an idea?

Thanks for all the help so far by the way. Looks like a dual rec is what I'll be gunnin for, maybe a triple. Have to look into it a bit more, and/or ask more questions on here

Can anyone help me out with the bold? It is urgent, I'm going to do this tommorrow...I need to know if I need a new cab, or if I can use my existing Nomad combo cab
you'd be better off buying a cab that supports the 100watts the dual recto gives out. you most likely won't crank it that much, but i highly doubt the speaker in your nomad (combo?) would be able to handle it. and plus, the head is kinda big.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

So dual recto & 100 watt cab...probably somewhere around 2000 am I right? Dayum.

Was hopin to stay around 1800 or less, but I can still do it.

and ya I think the nomad was 50 watts or 45.

Appreciate it.
go used and you'll be fine. a used dual recto on ebay goes for like $1100-$1500 and a matching recto 2x12 is ~$450.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by UnsignedRecords
go used and you'll be fine. a used dual recto on ebay goes for like $1100-$1500 and a matching recto 2x12 is ~$450.

Have to have an amp by tommorrow at 7 dude... haha.
ha well look in shops for used ones if you want. unless you really wanna pay full, i dunno how big an issue that is with you. btw, is recto tone even what you're looking for?
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Tone wise

The triple has the thickest tone, hardest hitting distortion, but the least saturation.
Singles will get more saturated but not quite as hard of hitting distortion. Dual rectifiers fall somewhere between the two, which is why most musicians who use rectos prefer the duals.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
i need my rectifier to sound tighter...what can i do???
Quote by NeverMeant
Sometimes I feel like I won't care if my girlfriend dies because then I won't have to worry about her becoming pregnant.
Quote by UnsignedRecords
ha well look in shops for used ones if you want. unless you really wanna pay full, i dunno how big an issue that is with you. btw, is recto tone even what you're looking for?

Wow just typed out a whole thing and it got deleted.

Tried out dual and single. Single was good enough for me. Played on fairly large cab, 900 bucks. Sounded like sex. Was talked into not buying a cab and just the single recto. and was told to plug into my nomad combo's speaker at home.

Got home it sounded like ass, with the same settings, no low end at all. Paper thin.

There was also a cab there for 600 bucks, that I was gonna get but didn't.

Gonna pick that up later today.

So my question is, will that make a fairly large difference and be much closer to playing on that large cab than playing through my nomad speaker? I hope it will...

Or was it that large cab that made all the difference. I wasn't playing loud at all. Just at listening volume about. So I would think that lower, $600 cab could still do that. Since the single recto plus that cab would be $2000+, and the nomad combo was only $1300...
Last edited by Three11Rules at Oct 3, 2007,
that's no fun. so you got the single? it just seems like it could use more speakers to give it more oomph.

what cabs were you looking at? 4x12s will be bassier and boomier, but a nice 2x12 spreads out just fine.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by UnsignedRecords
that's no fun. so you got the single? it just seems like it could use more speakers to give it more oomph.

what cabs were you looking at? 4x12s will be bassier and boomier, but a nice 2x12 spreads out just fine.

Not sure only know they were both Mesa, one was $550 and one was $899

But MAN the nomad speakers with it sounded sooo thin.

My friend described it at the store: Thick and creamy, and at home, paper thin, and brittle.
and ya the $550 one was lower and horizontal
Yeah get that 2x12 cab. The 4x12 will be obviously better, but the 2x12 holds its own. You might not even be able to tell the difference.
Quote by Chinomaster182
Yeah get that 2x12 cab. The 4x12 will be obviously better, but the 2x12 holds its own. You might not even be able to tell the difference.

Hell yes, for sure. Damn good news...hope you're right haha.
Haha! So check this out...

I'm 18, and my mom is the one payin for all of this...so I told her that you know, the Mesa Nomad combo's speakers weren't good enough...and she said she'd get me that "small nice one" I was looking at (the 2x12). and I rememeber it being $550. She said she'd pick it up for me while I was at school since I needed it that afternoon, for practice.

So we're in the car (got my parking pass from school taken away, hah) and I'm sayin so was it like $700 and somethin or how much?

and she goes "No! It was 1100!! with tax and everything!" and I go "whoooa whooa wait..." How much was it originally?

and she says "$899!"

and I remembered that's the original price of the one I was playing in at the store...I looked back at my friend/bassist and smiled...

Yes, my mom accidently bought me a 4x12 half stack instead of a 2x12.

It doesn't get much more awesome than that, hahaha. Oh and it sounds like a dream.
Quote by Three11Rules
Haha! So check this out...

I'm 18, and my mom is the one payin for all of this...so I told her that you know, the Mesa Nomad combo's speakers weren't good enough...and she said she'd get me that "small nice one" I was looking at (the 2x12). and I rememeber it being $550. She said she'd pick it up for me while I was at school since I needed it that afternoon, for practice.

So we're in the car (got my parking pass from school taken away, hah) and I'm sayin so was it like $700 and somethin or how much?

and she goes "No! It was 1100!! with tax and everything!" and I go "whoooa whooa wait..." How much was it originally?

and she says "$899!"

and I remembered that's the original price of the one I was playing in at the store...I looked back at my friend/bassist and smiled...

Yes, my mom accidently bought me a 4x12 half stack instead of a 2x12.

It doesn't get much more awesome than that, hahaha. Oh and it sounds like a dream.

You mean it doesn't get much more spoiled than that? get a job.
Emo is to music as etch-a-sketch is to art.

Quote by TMVolta19
Music can't really be judged, since it's all on the same level. Unless it's screamo. then it sucks.
I hate how people rag on people who get their **** bought for them. Grow the **** up.

& I have to buy all my own **** for anyone who asks.
I am the Infantry.
ha, why'd you revive this thread? and hopefully whosever parents buys them gear, they're responsibilities and actions at home should be good enough to justify the purchase.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by nirvana001
I hate how people rag on people who get their **** bought for them. Grow the **** up.

& I have to buy all my own **** for anyone who asks.

Sounds like you're jealous. I have a friend who is loaded, $60,000 car, owns a recording studio for his band, and bought all the equiptment for the band (good stuff). This doesn't make him immature, bragging, or spoiled. His parents are just loaded, and what parents wouldn't buy their child something given that have a ton of money.

I'm not jealous of him in any ways, he's a cool dude. I know that I have to work to buy my gear, but that doesn't mean I have a crappy rig myself.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
but that doesn't mean I have a crappy rig myself.

Who would call your rig crappy in first place? (at least by UG standards...)
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by aznrockerdude
Who would call your rig crappy in first place? (at least by UG standards...)

I dunno, I didn't word it too well.

My point was me saving up by working at DQ has gotten me some good stuff. Yeah I had to work for it, but doesn't make me any better of a person or him any less of a person.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio