I'm a beginning guitarist. Been taking lessons for about 3 months now. I have an Ibanez RG321MH and the problem is that the neck pickup is somehow defective. I'm no expert on guitars (obviously), but my teacher looked at it and played the guitar and said there is something wrong with the neck pickup.

The guitar comes with Ibanez's generic "INF" line of pickups. I have a few questions:

* Since I'll be replacing one, should I replace both?

* What kind of sonic change will I get from replacing the INF pickups (which apparently have a bad reputation)?

* Any recommendations for someone interested in metal and classic rock?
its depends on the amp you have cuz thats the most important thing but they do change things.

no you can keep the bridge one if you like it

new pickups do some changes but read the top of my reply first

if you replace the bridge a dimarzio super distortion would be good ace frehley uses them
Quote by nasstyman
i don't do drugs but i fook like a pronstar and i drink like a fish and smoke like a chimney....
if you have a good (preferably tube, as pickups are designed to drive tube amps) amp, and your current pickups are sufficiently, er, crap, a big difference. also depends on the specs of your current pickups and the new ones.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
What exactly is "wrong" with the pickup?
Current Gear
Ibanez RG1570 - Going bye bye
Jackson DK2 - Eventually will be replaced with Maton Mastersound
Peavey valveking 212
Various EHX and Boss effects
Last edited by RGman at Oct 2, 2007,
I would bring the guitar to a repair shop first. It could be a wiring or electric problem and not the actual pup. Find sopmeone you can trust, ask around.
I am lucky to have a great guy to do my work and he takes care of his customers sometimes he'll fix something small for me as a favor.

John
At your stage I wouldn't think about pickup changes. Pickups very seldom (almost never) actually fail, its more likely wiring (easy and cheap to fix.) Just take it to a tech and get it fixed so you can focus on your lessons, and enjoy yourself.
^ agreed.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?