Page 1 of 3
http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,1666973,00.html

The more I think this, the more I honestly think it could and will change music. The current music industry has too many flaws to count, and radiohead has just presented a seemingly infallible business strategy. Thank god.
Rig:
PRS SE semi hollow (blue)
mexican fat strat
Ovation MOB
LTD hybrid 300
Fender Blues Junior
Digitech Whammy
Boss DD 20 and DS1
I've never heard any of their music, but I think it's really cool what they're doing.

EDIT: Actually, I'm pretty sure Bomb the music Industry! and Defiance, Ohio both have their music free to download on their sites.
Think here, upcoming musicians will have to rely on the labels until they can get to a point where they could switch to what radioheads doing, and in turn the labels would try to make it more profitable for the musicians, so they've got incentive to stay on their currents labels.
Rig:
mexican fat strat
Ovation MOB
LTD hybrid 300
Fender Blues Junior
Digitech Whammy
Boss DD 20 and DS1
Yeah I think this is going to stimulate more of a fair business between the labels and the bands, which has been a long time coming. And if it means goodbye forever to the labels, even better. I actually had this idea a few weeks ago while I was taking a dump by the way lol. Not even joking.
We're only strays.
amazing finally someone has the balls to do it
Guitars:
Custom les paul copy with sun inlay
Epiphone les paul custom with emg 81/85
Hondo 80's star shape(project)
ESP explorer (project)
Epiphone dr200s
Epiphone ej200
pedals:
mxr doubleshot distortion
amp:
Raven rg100
Quote by Ghost_bass
amazing finally someone has the balls to do it

Like I said... There's already bands that have been doing it. Radiohead is just bigger so they're getting the publicity.
Its also gonna be released as a box set for £40, which I might buy If the music is good
last.fm
Quote by darkstar2466
*head explodes*
You sir, are a god.

Quote by BBW
This song is about Little Red Riding Hood and her trials and tribulations with the Big Bad Wolf. He was a cunt who liked to bother pigs when they relaxed after work in their houses.
thats wat trent reznor is going to do for his next album, he had to finish year zero though and release it through a record company because of his contract but tis voer now so NIN and radiohead will deff save music.
PANDEMIC GROUP

Slash is trash

I has golfclaps!
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss

Quote by boreamor
Your avatar is the first thing that has made me laugh in a long time. I applaud you

Quote by superslash1994
Lmao, your avatar earns you a golf clap.
I haven't heard many of their songs, but i like what I've heard.

And they win 4 internets for that.
I believe in Rock and Roll. Can I get an Amen?

Quote by rizo299
A drunk guy on the the bus asked me if i remembered the 60's. I told him i was 17 then he told me that everyone remembers the 60's.

I thought about it, and frankly, I couldn't fault his logic.
I don't care for Radiohead's music too much, but this is a pretty good idea. It's on the UG main page, though, so you're a little late.
It's difficult to win unless you're bored.
i love radiohead, this such a un-selfish act its amazing, i pre-ordered downloading the album for free already! HOW SWEET
i'm not a big radiohead fan, but i might download it just because it's free.

actually, maybe i'll just pay a dollar.
Quote by Tehzekester
It won't catch on exceptfor artists who really can't make money anymore, sorta like Radiohead, I bet all their members are loaded.

Radiohead could charge thirty dollars for this album and still sell over a million
good idea
eventually the music business will be based around the live performance with albums just used as a marketing tool to get people to gigs
if all bands did this then more people would find out about them and know of their music, meaning more people attend performances

i hate radiohead's music though lol
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ran Custom Invader

Maxon OD9 Pro+
ISP Decimator
Diago Powerstation

Marshall TSL60
Marshall 1960A cab

www.myspace.com/samtewari
Hmm, let's completely ignore The Pax Cecilia, who have done more or less the exact same thing but better. Here's the deal: You go to their website, give them your address, and they mail you an album for free (even with a small poster). If you feel it was worth it, you donate to their site. And they're actually mailing you a legit CD, not just allowing you to download it for free. I've had mine since the end of May I think.

Don't believe me? Check here: http://www.paxcecilia.com/

Obviously, Radiohead is a bigger deal since they're a huge band. But I wouldn't make a bold statement that they "Saved music" or anything. I think the Pax Cecilia's model is better, since they allow you to donate after you get the music rather than predict how good you think it's going to be. If anything, hopefully the fact that Radiohead is doing it will actually turn some heads, rather than the little-known Pax Cecilia.

/elitism
Quote by Clownmite
Hmm, let's completely ignore The Pax Cecilia, who have done more or less the exact same thing but better. Here's the deal: You go to their website, give them your address, and they mail you an album for free (even with a small poster). If you feel it was worth it, you donate to their site. And they're actually mailing you a legit CD, not just allowing you to download it for free. I've had mine since the end of May I think.

Don't believe me? Check here: http://www.paxcecilia.com/

Obviously, Radiohead is a bigger deal since they're a huge band. But I wouldn't make a bold statement that they "Saved music" or anything. I think the Pax Cecilia's model is better, since they allow you to donate after you get the music rather than predict how good you think it's going to be. If anything, hopefully the fact that Radiohead is doing it will actually turn some heads, rather than the little-known Pax Cecilia.

/elitism

Nobody knows about the Pax Cecilia, though. Thats the thing. The record labels couldn't care less about a small time band (not insulting their music).

Also, you could just get the album for free and pay for it later if you really wanted to pay what you think the appropriate price for the album should be, based on the music.
Rig:
mexican fat strat
Ovation MOB
LTD hybrid 300
Fender Blues Junior
Digitech Whammy
Boss DD 20 and DS1
I only see this hurting underground bands. Mainstream music is free these days anyway, a band releasing it for free(ish) is just s stunt to appeal to the masses, I bet over 60% of the people who "own" an album did not purchase it.

Really the people left buying albums are the people who buy albums that are hard to locate; the underground stuff. When/if the industry standard become free release, it will be a lot tougher for new bands to come up without the added revenue of cd sales.
I think it's definitely a major stepping stone. Especially because they are such a well known band. However, I don't think it will immediately catch on. Remember, Lars Ulrich is still alive and kicking (poorly, might I add).

As someone else pointed out, Reznor (Nine Inch Nails) is doing this (exactly the same, similar?) for his next album. Same situation, if I'm correct (expired contract).

It's certainly a step is eliminating the money hungry Major Label companies, whom no one wants to pay because we all know they scam the artists out of insane amounts of royalties. I just hope it catches on sooner than later. I'm far more willing to pay the artist directly like this.
Spiral Out
The brian jonestown massacre give everything theyve done away free. if you like it you go watch them or buy the albums.
They are well ahead in beating the major lables.
I don't know if anyone is claiming Radiohead is the first band to do this, but rather that they're the largest and most successful band to do it to date. It's definitely a milestone in music.
I've heard that artists on any of the "Big Four" labels get only a few cents per CD sold, my point isn't that artists of that caliber "need" all that money, but that they're far more entitled to it than label executives. I've just recently gotten into Radiohead, and I applaud them for having the guts to do this; it's easy to say that they can afford to do it because they're well-off already, but that's the whole point. Radiohead is without a label now, if I'm not mistaken, if they self-released the CD, they would've made more per unit sold than ever before, but they're turning that down. Whether for ethical purposes, or just to make a media splash is irrelevant, the point is, a multi-platinum, artistically respected act did it, and regardless of what motives are behind the decision, it has definitely and will definitely continue to influence other artists. For the better? In my opinion, probably, I doubt the music industry could sink much lower, and I'm eager to see what kind of effect this move has on it.
When crying don't help
You can't compose yourself
It's best to compose a poem
An honest verse of longing
Or a simple song of hope...
Quote by breadstick
I'm pretty sure that radiohead aren't the best band ever.

That's what I was thinking. The producer that was quoted seemed like a bit of a wimp.

Despite this bold move, I'm pretty sure labels will be around for donkeys' yet.
Originally posted by TestForEcho
Badreligionrock is the man.

Quote by Pinky19
Badreligionrock you have the greatest avatar of all time. Rejected is the best video. Period.
Quote by breadstick
I'm pretty sure that radiohead aren't the best band ever.

I'm veru sure that they, indeed, are.
Friends, applaud the comedy is over.

I'd dance with you but...

Quote by Child In Time
I'm veru sure that they, indeed, are.

Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Good idea, except It's going a bit far to say they're "saving music" i think. All they're doing is letting people decide how much to pay for the music, the music itself isn't anything new..

Well, 90% of people are going to download it for free, then.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
Quote by Child In Time
To be fair, Radiohead saved music the day Jonny quit uni.

i love how that happened with his tutor telling him to go for it rather then the usual what if it fails junk that education usually throws at you when you want to quit.
Quote by Draken
i love how that happened with his tutor telling him to go for it rather then the usual what if it fails junk that education usually throws at you when you want to quit.

Yes, it was fantastic. I wonder what his mother said...

Surely Colin reaussred here that he'd be well looked after.

Quote by Child In Time
Yes, it was fantastic. I wonder what his mother said...

Surely Colin reaussred here that he'd be well looked after.

I bet colin got blamed for it, filling his younger brother's head with all that nonsense after hanging around with those two rowdy young musicians edward and thomas.
Quote by Draken
I bet colin got blamed for it, filling his younger brother's head with all that nonsense after hanging around with those two rowdy young musicians edward and thomas.

Yes, especially that Edward "Ed" one...there was always a peculiar smell coming from him..........and he never seemed quite 'awake'.

There was an interview in which Colin was talking about letting his mother hear the records and she'd say "what's that low rattly noise in the background?"...and it was Colin's bass.

AND Defiance, Ohio will make you a shirt for free and you just give them whatever you feel it's worth.

I just listened to some of Radioheads music too... It's nothing special, I don't know why they're getting THAT much publicity for doing this.
Quote by Joe-Fish
AND Defiance, Ohio will make you a shirt for free and you just give them whatever you feel it's worth.

I just listened to some of Radioheads music too... It's nothing special, I don't know why they're getting THAT much publicity for doing this.

What did you listen to? Creep?

Page 1 of 3