I am a guitar player that has just recently started playing bass in a bar band. This poses a problem because I have no bass. I play on a P bass at practice. I need a decent bass but dont want to spend more than $300. Any advice would be great.
Gear:
Mesa Boogie Tremoverb And Recto cab
Peavey 5150 and cab
Peavey classic 2 12
Agile Intercepor pro 7
Jackson soloist sls
Jackson RR3
Ibanez 7321
Washburn Dimebolt 333
You're not going to get better than that P-bass for under $300...I can tell you that much. It is a real Fender, right? Not Squire or some other ripoff brand?
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
yes but it isnt mine to take home and practice with.
Gear:
Mesa Boogie Tremoverb And Recto cab
Peavey 5150 and cab
Peavey classic 2 12
Agile Intercepor pro 7
Jackson soloist sls
Jackson RR3
Ibanez 7321
Washburn Dimebolt 333
dean makes good, cheap basses. I am in a similar position and i'm looking mostly at deans
Quote by killdie
yes but it isnt mine to take home and practice with.

I see how that poses as a problem. I'd suggest starting with Ibanez, ESP, Dean, Peavey, or even something from the Squire Vintage Modded series (I've heard they're actually decent as far as Squires go)
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead

Do you just play roots or something?

Guitarists thinking they can play bass
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
Ok, altogether now, in unison. SQUIER, IBANEZ OR YAHAMA!!

Sorry, this has been asked quite a bit lately, esp. by the "Gee I am a guitarist who wants to buy a bass and needs a recommendation" crowd. How did you guys ever pick out your guitars.?

All three or a used Fender would serve you well. Personally I like the Ibanez starters I've played but that's me. Get thee to a music store and try any of the three brands above. One will feel great and sound great in your hands. Buy it. Period.
if you feel confident enough, build one. I did and it cost me about 300. Or go for a Dean Edge. I got a Dean Edge-5 and I love it to death.
GAS List:
Nothing
Quote by Flummery
if you feel confident enough, build one. I did and it cost me about 300. Or go for a Dean Edge. I got a Dean Edge-5 and I love it to death.

Builds aren't for those looking for a cheap fix. Building a bass is much more work than you'd think.
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead