Hello
I just started playing in jazz band a couple of weeks ago. My band director told me to play the chords on the high strings because the bass and piano's would take care of the rest. I don't even know how to play chords on the high strings. I usually just play barre chords on the 6th and 5th strings. So if anyone can help me or has a site or something to show me how to play chords on the high strings that would be great.

Thanks
Last edited by Guitar Guy21 at Oct 1, 2007,
try using arpeggio chord forms, or barre chords on the higher frets
Originally Posted by waterproofpie
hahaha
it's fun to watch hardcore bands with keyboards live.

Why?
Nothing greater than the joy of someone trying to look really aggressive while playing the same instrument Elton John plays
well, if you can play (or at least know) the full bars, you can just not strum the bass strings. ive gotten by with that before. its really freestyle, just remember, the bass & drums are driving the bus, your just adding an extra touch
also, if you think barre chords are as much of a pain as i do, reform your hand position so it leaves the bass strings out entirely.
Quote by AlecMag
You have made a potentially boring thread epic. Be proud.

Quote by rabidguitarist
deanwad could be right, actually.

98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.
Don't just learn different positions for your chords if you are playing jazz, learn what notes make up the chords so you can make up your own shapes for chords which will be extremely helpful for you in the future when playing jazz. This isn't like playing simple rock music, you need to start learning your music theory if you want to actually contribute anything to the ensemble.
12 fret fury
Quote by Punk Poser
Don't just learn different positions for your chords if you are playing jazz, learn what notes make up the chords so you can make up your own shapes for chords which will be extremely helpful for you in the future when playing jazz. This isn't like playing simple rock music, you need to start learning your music theory if you want to actually contribute anything to the ensemble.

But how is that going to work when your trying to sight read jazz music. I can't come out with the notes of a chord in a split second. But your way would work if you don't have to sight read.
Have a look at my recent quiz and at question 4 or 5, it has some common shapes on the top 4 strings, this may start you off.
Quote by cakemonster91

*chuckle* A peanut. With a face.

Go to your staff paper and re-write this song a half step down so on the paper it'll be like you have a "C" just move it down to a "B#"

Know your theory, then play like you don't.