Hey guys, i just started playing about 3 weeks ago. I have an acoustic and electric.

Im working on chords and some pent. scales, but when it comes to songs most of the stuff is mindblowing. I can play some pretty lame songs, hey there delilah, loui louie, smoke on the water, and im working on adams song.

When it comes to playing songs, every tab i look at is so overwhelming, and i find myself always hitting the string in between the ones im picking. for example hey there delilah i play D and B and ALWAYS HIT G.

I dont know where to start, the beginners song list, is no help at all, can anyone help me with easy songs, and how to improve picking accuracy.

thanks
Guitars:

Fender Squier pack w/ Frontman 15g Amp

Yamaha Acoustic FG700S solid top

New player, lovin it.
you said it... youve been playing three weeks.... get more practice... youre just starting...
wat i suggest for picking is memorizateion just keep playing look at were u pik then after awhile close ur eyes n let memory take over im pretty sure thats how every guitarist got picing down duhh its all memorization n my first ez song was smells like teen spirit=)
Quote by Allnightmask22

Alternatively, have your friends hold him down, then take a dump in his mouth, make sure your genitals don't touch him though, that's gay.

Quote by RageAgainst...
Teddy-Metal
for those who like to mosh, but just wanna cuddle afterwards

smashing pumkins fans=)^
hey there delilah is fingerpicked is it not...and aren't you supposed to hit the g anyway?

eh well doesn't matter that song makes my brain bleed. try um radio by alkaline trio.
well with Hey There Delilah are you using a pick? because that song is finger picked (watch a video of him playing it live) also that's pretty good for only playing three weeks, but of course your going to be overwhelmed, you haven't been playing that long. The only thing I can say really is practice practice practice
Gear
Takamine EG5015S
Fender Telecaster Deluxe
Fender Strat
Fender Stage 1600 (160 Watt)
Digitech Hot Head
Digitech Hot Rod
Digitech DF-7 Distortion Factory
Check out the main riffs from Iron Man, You really Got Me, and maybe TNT by AC/DC. These are all fairly simple songs that use power chords.

For your picking hand, try to make as small of movements as possible. The farther away from the strings you move your hand with each strum, the more chance that you will hit something you didn't intend to when you are moving it back into position. Don't just bash away - really focus and think about what you are doing. Once you have begun to "train" your hand to do what you want it to, then you won't need to focus on it so much.

If you can afford it, try taking some lessons with a teacher locally. A good one will help you with all of the details you need to develop into a good player and will save you a lot of time and frustration.

Good luck on your journey!
Quote by AmPedowers
Hey guys, i just started playing about 3 weeks ago. I have an acoustic and electric.

Great! I started with an acoustic and electric but I got my acoustic first (hand-me-down from the wife).

Quote by AmPedowers
Im working on chords and some pent. scales, but when it comes to songs most of the stuff is mindblowing. I can play some pretty lame songs, hey there delilah, loui louie, smoke on the water, and im working on adams song.

When it comes to playing songs, every tab i look at is so overwhelming, and i find myself always hitting the string in between the ones im picking. for example hey there delilah i play D and B and ALWAYS HIT G.

It gets easier with time. Check out Sweet Child o Mine by GnR. You will get several techniques down learning the intro. String skipping being one that is very valuable.

Quote by AmPedowers
I dont know where to start, the beginners song list, is no help at all, can anyone help me with easy songs, and how to improve picking accuracy.

It sounds like you are on the right track. Try chromatics to improve your speed with both your fretting hand and picking hand. Chromatics will also get you started with alternate picking. A simple chromatic exercise I found very useful (although mundain and boring after awhile) is...starting on the low E, pick a fret and just finger 1-2-3-4, next string 1-2-3-4, next string 1-2-3-4, etc. This will build your finger strength and dexterity. Play this until you are blue in the face, then, do it some more until you can go forward and backwards with ease. Do the same with your scales.

Hope this helps

Chris
Play slow enough so your hand and brains can memorize/coordinate the string skipping, then, get faster gradually.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Quote by El Cumanés
Play slow enough so your hand and brains can memorize/coordinate the string skipping, then, get faster gradually.

This is a GREAT piece of advice I left out! Thank you El Cumanes (where is that accented letter?? lol).