okay, so i have been playing guitar for about a year and a half now. one thing that is bothering me is the fact that i still cant play a solo. i always have the wrong timing and my picking and fingering are all off. i've been practicing every day and i still cant get down a solo. take Stairway to Heavens solo. i cant even play the first part of the solo, yet i can play the rest of the song with ease. can someone tell me a way to help me learn to play solos easier?
practice with a metronome for one. that'll improve your timing. for fingering, just work on fingering exercises like playing 3 notes per string (or 1 or 2 or 4) and alternating strgins as you play. keep practicing and it will eventually come.

---------------------------
My Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III 75W
Ibanez SM7 Smash Box
Dunlop Crybaby Original Wah
Boss RC-2 Loop Station

Own an Ibanez RG series guitar? Join the group.
Also, I just got that solo down. Like last Friday. Not even kidding. It's not exactly the easiest solo, but one thing that really really helps is getting down the scales, in this case the pentatonics (the modes are good to know too). The pentatonics are really the framework for about nearly every popular rock solo throughout the past century. It really can't be beat. Knowing the framework and having practiced it, I can say it makes a huge difference. It also teaches you to improvise your own solo. Here's a good site to learn them: http://www.theorylessons.com/

My Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III 75W
Ibanez SM7 Smash Box
Boss RC-2 Loop Station

Here is a tip. how do you learn the rest of the song? by jumping right into it and getting it right off? if so then nothing i can say can help you because you need to develop a whole new method. but anyway here is my tip to you . take the solo and break it into pieces and play those pieces slow as possible until you get a nice steady flow going with the notes then move on in the solo continuing this method so on and so forth and eventually you should be able to take all the tiny ity bity insignificant chunks and play them together as the badass solo youve always wanted
ok thanks for the advice

im sure it will take some time but it'll be worth it.
↓↑ MISDIRECT ↑↓

The (Rather Basic) Rig:
- 1982 Marshall JCM 800 2204 (Feels good, man)
- 1960 Marshall AV Cab (Vintage 30s, Feels good, man)
- A shitty MIM strat
- Fulltone OCD (Jizztastic)
- Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Quote by KJash
Here is a tip. how do you learn the rest of the song? by jumping right into it and getting it right off? if so then nothing i can say can help you because you need to develop a whole new method. but anyway here is my tip to you . take the solo and break it into pieces and play those pieces slow as possible until you get a nice steady flow going with the notes then move on in the solo continuing this method so on and so forth and eventually you should be able to take all the tiny ity bity insignificant chunks and play them together as the badass solo youve always wanted

+1. I learned it in sections too. Again, practicing with the metronome or playing over the song ensures that your timing is right. The guitar pro version of the tab on this site will let you do that and even slow down the tempo if you need to. Anyway, breaking it into pieces is very important.

My Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III 75W
Ibanez SM7 Smash Box
Boss RC-2 Loop Station

yea i just learned that solo a couple days ago, literally. i used to know how to play the rest of the song but i forgot haha. it's not like i could ever play it in public anyway. but yea i think it's important to just listen to each part of the solo over and over untill you figure you the feel of it, that helped me.
i have the same problem but by practice you'll get there no matter how long it takes. i'm currently practicing my fingering and my speed accuracy.
::type