And I want info on how they plan on doing so.

I tried to sell an autographed guitar on craigslist for $800, and everything was going cool with the buyer. He told me he sent out payment, and once I receive it contact him and he will have FedEx pick the guitar up.

Now when I received payment is where it got weird. He sent me a cashiers check for $3,600, and he wants the guitar shipped to London, England. He told me that I should deposit the check in my bank, then wire the rest of the money back to him for shipping purposes.

The check is fake, I can tell by looking at it, but I dont get how this scam works.

Anyone have any idea?
First of all, you shouldn't use craigslist as more than classifieds for your local area, not over the mail or FedEx.
Shred the check and just ignore they guy. Craigslist isn't really regulated like eBay or anything, so just scam him back.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
That's just a run of the mill craigslist scam. Anytime someone sends you more money than you ask for and asks you to send some of it back, or if they want to send someone to pick the item up, just pay no more attention.

I remember reading about how it works but I can't remember off the top of my head - maybe I'll look it up.
Quote by guitar_god22

thats about south africa tho...which isnt poor at all.
Quote by RyanInChains9
yea venezula is just the richest country in the world...
I somehow think the check isn't worth $3,600 and that he wants you to send him $2,600 approximately.

Don't !
Member of the Grammar Nazi Club. PM Your41Plague12 to Join.

Member #6 of the Orange Tiny Terror Club
maybe its not fake, i dont get how this could be a scam... cuz you have the guitar... he sent you a 3600 check... i dont get it
^

The check is fake!.

Quote by Ultimate_Gio92
maybe its not fake, i dont get how this could be a scam... cuz you have the guitar... he sent you a 3600 check... i dont get it

haha
Quote by guitar_god22

thats about south africa tho...which isnt poor at all.
Quote by RyanInChains9
yea venezula is just the richest country in the world...
Oh god, NEVER, EVER, EVER fall for those "I'll have FedEx pick ti up" scams. An obvious rookie mistake. ALWAYS deal locally on Craigslist. As soon as you read "I'll have someone pick it up", just close out of the e-mail.
Quote by Ultimate_Gio92

he's trying to scam you out of a lot more than $800
Decaptivated

Ibanez S370 (all custom)
Mesa Boogie Studio Pre
Fender Champ 25se (used to power Mesa pre)
Custom 2x12 cab w/ Eminence Texas Heats
he doesnt have 3600 in his account so if you cashed it and sent it to him they would probably end up taking the money from the bounced check out of your account or something along those lines
Shred check, always deal locally on CraigsList. Lesson learned.
"This is The End, beautiful friend, The End"
The scam is basically that you cash the FAKE check, and the bank gives you 3600. Then you take your money and send him back an extra 2600. So he pockets 2600.
send me the money and I'll check this knucklehead out to make sure he's legit.

Adress: 123 fake street.
i think its like this,
when you put a check in the bank,the more money that the check is worth the longer it takes for it to get processed.Now the bank will most likely take the check and keep it for a 2,3 days before they really see that its a fake.But in those 2,3 days sence the person already put the check on the bank they send the 2,600 money to England and when the bank declines the check you are scamed out of 2,600.I think thats how it works.
Tear up his check and put it in an envelope and send it back to him, along with this picture:

Quote by Trefellin
You know a music scene is fucked up when it becomes difficult to keep track of who killed who, who committed suicide and who alledgedly engaged in cannibalism.

LastFM
Have not heard of this scam.. Actually I don't know of many scams because I don't spend much time on craigslist or ebay.

My guess of how this scam works is
You send him the guitar + $2800
You discover the check wasn't real when you take it to the bank
You realize that you have lost your guitar and $2800.
I Love That Dude!!! ^^^

Quote by farcry
send me the money and I'll check this knucklehead out to make sure he's legit.

Adress: 123 fake street.

haha the simpons!

well played kind sir
And we will weave in and out of sanity unnoticed
Swirling in blissfully restless visions of all our bleary progress
Glowing in radiant madness
yeah sorry for no reply, UG decided to crap out on me.

but yeah i guess i understand it now, thing is is i already sent him the guitar..

no im just kidding, but i have about 6 runners up, hopefully one of them will be legit