Whats the impotance of writing music as opposed to improvising everything and then turning that into a song?
radiantmoon is the toughest person I know. He inflects a sense of impending doom upon any who look upon his stone-chiseled face. The children run out of fear, while the men run for they know that the stories are true.
if you can come up with a quality song, the way you go about writing it doesn't matter.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
Yngwie once said "Improvisation is the genesis of composition" or something along those lines.

I used to do so that I made a backing track, improvised over it, recorded it and then called it a song. Nowadays, I write the themes and a lot of other parts but I still improvise some parts on the spot when I'm recording. I think I get better results this way and it's easier to change things and revise the songs later.
Well I've found that as *shudders* Yngwie said, composition starts with Improv. Personally, though, whatever riff I write never seems to fit any other riff I have written, and if I am to weave them together into some coherent song then I have to sit down and go through a quite analytical process of modulating keys and such...just linking chords together so that killer riff in Bb sounds good with that riff in E.

*shrugs*

You can do about anything if you know how to link chords together.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Improvisation is instant composition. Only... In a pre-written composition you can erase, add, alter things and all that stuff.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.