Hey all you knowledgeable ugers (lol)

anyways i have to decide whether to get a jem (with the evolutions) or a universe(with the blaze), this is basically going to be my end all guitar until i move out (at least five years). my parents would kill me if i had more than two guitars (new one plus one i currently have, which is really useless starter kit type)

i play metal, but the tone which i apply to metal riffs and material is closer to a classic rock even blues tone. i use a lot of harmonization, especially in thirds and such, which explains why i dont use a metal tone (try playing a 3rd fret on b string anda 2nd fret on e string together on max distortion. chances are you'll end up with nothing but pure static noise) because this harmonization adds extra distortion on its own.

i need a very piercing lead sound (for soloing -duh) to cut through a very piano (bet you never realized how dense the piano can be by itself) and guitar heavy rhythym section. I wouldn't mind the extra range of the seventh string; I'd definately use it and I'll adjust to it within a few minutes (its called imagining an extra string when you only have six strings). I'm mostly looking for a strong, lead instrument with a razor sharp sound.

I've been planning on getting the jem and saving up for it for the last two years. But about two days ago I finally paid attention to the universe and decided seven strings would be good, and its also coincidentally cheaper. The only potential problem I can see is that my hands are EXTREMELY small, my index finger is shorter than the width of my fretboard at fret 22.

I'm also open to your suggestions(including other instruments), but I need extremely stable tuning and a whammy with an extreme range. Pickups that are hypersensitive to every tiny nuance are a must (to demonstrate how anal about this I am, I change my picks from 0.5mm to 2mm within a single song just for the differences in sound). It'll be running through 1968 fender 12 watt amp and external speaker, btw.

if you took the time to read this through, thanks a lot, and i'm looking forward to your replies.
i have a 'white guitar'
Last edited by .fallen at Oct 2, 2007,
get the jem. it's every guitarist's dream, and the pickups really are sharp. plus it's just like..... well, i already said it. every guitarist's dream.
Well, I'd have a hard time recommending the universe if you have small hands, but I personally prefer the sound of the universe, and not even because its a seven string. I find the tone more pleasing, but I can't say I'm nearly as anal about tone as you. My best advice would be to play them both, The whammy on either of those wonderful guitars will fill your needs, but try out a universe to see if the 7 string is really to your liking, I know some guys think its cool but play one and find the style isnt to their taste really. My vote goes to the universe, but Try it first.
MY RIG:

Gibson Explorer '73 reissue, Classic White
Schecter Blackjack S1
Crate Stack

Thats noise violation in a box!
Thanks guys, I really appreciate your detailed answers
-im just worried about not having played a 7 string before, and ending up leaning towards the jem just because of it.

i'll definately try them out for the sound. If I end up liking the blazes better, i'll figure out a way through the fat neck
i have a 'white guitar'
What specific amp do you have? That affects way more of your tone.

As far as the JEMs and Universes go...As much as I love the JEM, I have to say it's too pricey for what you get (there's also a 7-string JEM). You could buy an RG Prestige for a lot less and put forth the remainders to a new amp. That is, of course, unless you're dying for a JEM or Universe (which are classy guitars). An RG1570 is only $750. You can stick whatever pickups you like in it and you'll still ring up a total of around $1,000. It's got the same trem as a JEM. Personally, I'd only buy a JEM if I was rich (hopefully, engineering will pay off ) You'd have ~$1000 leftover.

Hell, there's an RG1527 now which is basically an RG1570 with 7 strings and sans the single coil.

Coffee is wearing off, too lazy to type anymore. Basically, the question is: do you need a JEM/Universe and are you satisfied with your amp (what is it lol)? Losing focus, sorry :s
I would normally recommend the UV to a metal player, as Blazes are simply made for that kind of music. Bass-heavy, tight, scooped mids, just all-out heavy riffing pickup.

But then, your preferences are on the odd side, and I'd have to say that a Evo-driven JEM might be right up your alley. Razor sharp and hypersensitive are the JEM's idiosyncrasies, and if you want to kick it all up a notch, go for a 7V (alder body). I personally find 7Vs to be almost painfully focused on that edgy sound, but it looks like you're in a market for that exact thing.

^ getting an RG6/7 and putting the right pups in it is also a sound idea. Well, unless you definitely want the 7V - as there are no alder RGs.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
First of all, try out some description of ibanez 7 string, to get used to the scale length and neck width. Plus if you can try out an RG1527, much cheaper solution to a universe and with a pickup swap to Evo's or blazes then you get a more personalised guitar.
mm thanks guys

about the amp, i've found the perfect amp for me already (fender 1968 princeton reverb, 1968 meaning made in 1968) with the perfect warmness and roundness.
i have a 'white guitar'
I like the Jems a hell of alot more. The evos are amazing pickups, anything from metal to blues to shred. Dragonforce use Evos!!

Ive played both, didnt like the 7 string, took a while to get used to the new string, plus couldnt play as fast, because of the bigger neck If you can afford a JEM go for it, or why not try secondhand??
Gear.
Peters Chimaira tube amp
Harley Benton 2xv30's
IbanezS470(evo,paf)
Jackson dinky select series USA
ESP LTD EC1000VB
MI audio boostnbuff+crunchbox
Carbon copy MXR + smart gate
Quote by Metal_Injection
I like the Jems a hell of alot more. The evos are amazing pickups, anything from metal to blues to shred. Dragonforce use Evos!!

Ive played both, didnt like the 7 string, took a while to get used to the new string, plus couldnt play as fast, because of the bigger neck If you can afford a JEM go for it, or why not try secondhand??

What an incentive to buy evo's .....
Either guitar is killer, you are going to have to find a way to try them out.

Quote by hmmm_de_hum
What an incentive to buy evo's .....

Dragonforce has a good metal tone, and with passive pick-ups to boot. They ARE the hardest metal known to man.

Quote by Serendipity
(there's also a 7-string JEM)

You mean a Universe?
DRAGONFORCE IS THE HARDEST METAL KNOWN TO MAN
lol dragonforce
and finding the fat neck of a UV awkward isnt really a valid point right now. not until I try it.

but thanks guys for all your extremely detailed answers
i have a 'white guitar'
Quote by IBANEZ_EDGE
Either guitar is killer, you are going to have to find a way to try them out.

Dragonforce has a good metal tone, and with passive pick-ups to boot. They ARE the hardest metal known to man.

Thats not exactly what you'd expect from a BOC fan.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
I don't know just how hard Dragonforce is, but the Evolution sound is tighter than a twelve year old, especially at the bridge. Combined with its other qualities, that doesn't make it a very versatile pickup. But it's not every day that someone comes around and asks for something to do cutting, razor sharp, clear leads - that, I gotta admit, Evos shine at.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Quote by rhcp_freak
Thats not exactly what you'd expect from a BOC fan.

I can have my cake and eat it too.
DRAGONFORCE IS THE HARDEST METAL KNOWN TO MAN
I'm gonna suggest spending that money on a custom Carvin instead.

Higher quality and better value for the money; you aren't spending extra to have someone else's name and design.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
lol thanks

herman li is awesome (read, asian) :P

i'll look into the carvins
i have a 'white guitar'
Quote by .fallen
mm thanks guys

about the amp, i've found the perfect amp for me already (fender 1968 princeton reverb, 1968 meaning made in 1968) with the perfect warmness and roundness.

just going to throw it out there for those who missed it. a princeton is not going to give you the gain for metal. and alot of the tone and tightness comes from the amp. so try that before a new guitar. but if you go with the RG like the guy a couple posts up said. and have $1000 left over you can get a used 5150 combo plus an OD to tihgten thigs up
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
^also re-throwing out that if you read the whole first post i use far less gain than you'd expect me to get. And also why would I take the effort to get the amp in the first place if It had insufficient gain?

and lol about the 5150, that'd be nice but my parents would like shoot me or something, and i wouldnt use the extreme gain channel at all.

I have a Randall too, so obviously I dont want that much gain.

i have a DS-1 btw, its like on 3/4 gain
i have a 'white guitar'
Last edited by .fallen at Oct 3, 2007,
Back to your original posting thing you said about your parents killing you if you had more than two guitars.

First of all, if you got either of the Ibanez guitars, I'd just get rid of that starter guitar. You'll never play it again.

Now if, as you say, this new guitar will be your end all main axe for the next five years...would you really want it to be a 7-string guitar. I mean, they look like they'd be fun to play and all, but as your main (only) electric guitar? Not to mention your small hand issue.

I would go with the JEM. Look at getting a used one if the price of a new one is too much.
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct
get the jem. it's every guitarist's dream, and the pickups really are sharp. plus it's just like..... well, i already said it. every guitarist's dream.

it´s not my dream at least

but yeah, it´s a friggin sweet looking guitar!
Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

[quote="'']Congratulations! You have won the award for the most irrelevant thing ever said in a thread!
UNIVERSE 7 ftw.

ibanez 7's have pretty thin necks anyway so you hands shouldnt be a problem. also regards to getting a 7 you can get ALOT more range.
gear.

Schecter Loomis sig.
Engl fireball.
the highest.

CANNABIZZLE

Lets blaze, put this in your sig if you want to get high.
Quote by bodomfan666
UNIVERSE 7 ftw.

ibanez 7's have pretty thin necks anyway so you hands shouldnt be a problem. also regards to getting a 7 you can get ALOT more range.

I have pretty small hands, but I've got no trouble at all playing my Ibanez 7; after getting used to it a little (a few days) I had no problems reaching the bottom strings and integrating them into my playing.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
thanks guys for all your help and suggestions

i know people say omgwtfbbqweird when i bring up the princeton, but im very ecclectic. not to bore you, at the most basic level i believe that what makes the style of music what it is isnt defined by your sound; play with the sound you want.

i'll probably just end up trying them both, just don't want to be biased by the fact that i wont be accustomed to the 7 string.

(in response to would i really want my main axe to be a 7 string) i was thinking that 7 strings would be a main argument for main axe, i mean, its not like you always have to go chugga chugga on it :p you can actually leave that string alone (tho i probably wont)

as a side note, i just realized that i can manage the neck of my friends 5 string bass pretty well, so the larger neck may not be that bad.
i have a 'white guitar'