I was just adjusting something on my Jacksons LFR and when I retuned and locked the nut the open g string has a strange buzz. It is ONLY on the g and it is ONLY open and its after I lock it. I have tried heightening the bridge(and even tried lowing it) I have tried adjusting the fine tuners. I have tried changing out the string(some company and kind of string though). Im starting to run out of ideas. I have tried searching but most buzz topic are the same and I have tried changing my bridge height. It is a very metallic buzz and I cant seem to tell where its coming from.

This is on a Jackson DXMG by the way.
Sounds to me almost like the nut is low, and thus when you tighten the locking nut, and put pressure on the strings, making thus marginal amounts lower, its hitting the fret. Try putting a shim under the nut.
Also may need a slight truss-rod adjustment or maybe a high fret. Its right in the center of the fingerboard radius.
maybe swap out that string. hopefully it picked up a kink that's causeing it to rattle in the nut.

also, if the nut cut is a little low, a new string might sit better in the cut.

if it's a buzzing on a fret^ maybe you can try to slide a bit of paper between the string and frets, try to see which fret.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I have definitely figured out it is something to do with the nut. I put a small piece of paper under the string and locked the nut and the sound went away, I would leave it like that but it raises the string quite a bit and looks funny. Any ideas on what I can do for a more permanent solution?

Also my guitar has never been set up professionally and I have messed around with lots of things trying to fix this problem, is $40 for a pro set-up at a guitar shop worth the money? A friend strongly recommended it to me.

Also thank you for the suggestions, they helped me a lot with finding the problem.
well, building up a nut cut isnt that hard.

you just make a mixture of baking soda and glue and dab a drop in the low cut.

let it set, then wrap a toothpick with some fine sand paper, file the cut smooth, making an upward slant (ramp) up from the headstock side to the fretboard side.

going to a larger gauge would also help, as would swapping that string for a same gauge string, but one that's slightly thicker. .01

^and yes. a $40 setup is worth it unless it's a starter guitar.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Alrighty thanks a lot. It seems to have worked itself out for now while I was playing with it, but for future reference for the baking soda mix do you just use some regular white elmer's glue? Because that seems like a really good idea. Thanks a lot for the help, I really appreciate it.
if you've tried the string swap and feel as if the cut is just too darn low, crazy glue will last longer and harden better, but is less forgiving than white glue.

so pratice a couple times with the crazy glue and remember, less is more.

*oh and buy the crazy glue liquid, not the gel.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at Oct 2, 2007,
Quote by uldhppi
And some Icy Hot.

pit trolling again?

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62