well ages ago i dropped my gutiar,its got that fibre glass finish thats is on guitars like solid colour strats and stuff. it was just an indent before, but recently its started to chip away, its on the back, so no big deal, but i want to stop it getting worse.
please help.
Well I've seen these finish protector things that strap on to your guitar. It's like a pad that covers most of the back of the guitar. If someone here knows the name of them you might look into that.
http://www.scratchpadusa.com/index.html

ive never bought one but they do have some cool lookin designs.
Quote by kyrreca
You could get $1000 custom made pickups hand wired with Eric Johnsons pubic hair, and they'd still sound pretty bad through a ****ty solid state practice amp.

Quote by Geetar_Axel
Really? I thought Frontmans where highly respected around here?!
Quote by fretsonfire74
thats not really what im looking for, just a repair to the fibreglass without actually using fibreglass to cover it, just something to stop it getting worse.

It's not fiberglass, its usually polyurethane, which is very hard, almost plastic-like. You can probably take it in to get a touch up where the damage is, or just tape it down and lay a few coats yourself.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
Quote by edwardthegreat5
or just tape it down and lay a few coats yourself.

how would i do this? and how much would it cost?
The modern finishes used on guitars are very difficult to give a invisible repair. My advice is to leave it alone.
^ ive done that and it hasnt worked. its gotten worse. i dont care if its not invisible, coz its on the back, and i just dont want it getting any worse.
Just sand it down around the edges of the crack so its smooth-ish, then clear-coat it, then you have a nice battle-scar, but it wont get any worse.
Stewmac sells kits for repairing guitar finishes. I'd give those a try.
there was a guide to hiding dings in total guitar either this month or last month.

something to do with glue.

let me have a look

EDIT: got it.

1. clean the chipped area so there are no loose bits of laquer etc.

2. surround the chip with electrical tape

3. drop small amounts of glue into the chip and allow it to dry. add more layers of glue until the glue is slightly higher than the guitars finish.

4. when the glue is hard, sand it until it's level with the surrounding finish

5. gently plish the filled chip and the surrounding finish with T-cut colour restorer to help blend the repair.

6. give your guitar a good polish

that should make the chip less noticeable

note: don't do this if the chip exposes body wood or you have a nitro finish. and use glue that dries clear, not white.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Last edited by Lemoninfluence at Oct 2, 2007,
Quote by Lemoninfluence
there was a guide to hiding dings in total guitar either this month or last month.

something to do with glue.

let me have a look

EDIT: got it.

1. clean the chipped area so there are no loose bits of laquer etc.

2. surround the chip with electrical tape

3. drop small amounts of glue into the chip and allow it to dry. add more layers of glue until the glue is slightly higher than the guitars finish.

4. when the glue is hard, sand it until it's level with the surrounding finish

5. gently plish the filled chip and the surrounding finish with T-cut colour restorer to help blend the repair.

6. give your guitar a good polish

that should make the chip less noticeable

note: don't do this if the chip exposes body wood or you have a nitro finish. and use glue that dries clear, not white.

Haha I was just about to quote Total Guitar, what he said should work.
Guitars Fender Highway 1 Telecaster, Vintage VS-6, Yamaha C-40 Classical
Amps Laney VC15, Crate GT212 *FOR SALE*
Pedals Fulltone OCD, Vox V847, Marshall The Echohead, EHX Small Clone, Korg DT-10

Member of the Laney Cult