I have no problem strumming up and down strokes when my hand is not resting on the bride but when I rest my hand on the bridge for palm mutes I have trouble doing those fast up and down motions and I find myself doing real fast all down strokes to get a good sound. Any tips on making this easier? I can palm mute and pick a single string no problem but doing two or more and it feels like my pick is like getting caught on strings on the way up.
practice?

take an excerpt from a song(ex: the trooper) and practice the triplets
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
I have trouble alternate picking palm muted chords too. Try gripping the pick really close to the tip.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
steep picking angle. play with the edge of the pick instead of the flat part.
Quote by civildp1
I have trouble alternate picking palm muted chords too. Try gripping the pick really close to the tip.

beat me to it, and do triplets. alot of them consistently and alter the speeds, then throw in some stuff like down, down, triplet, triplet, triplet, down ect...