Baseline stats:

• Guitar: American Fender HM Strat w/DiMarzio humbucker and DiMarzio single-coils.
• Amp: No amp—using for direct recording only.
• Style/sound desired: full-on, heavy metal-style distortion.
• Example: lead in Track 10: "Walk" and Track 09: "Laid" in online mp3.

Okay, I think I'm dead set on getting a Damage Control Demonizer. It's got dual 12AX7 tubes, an analog opto-compressor, and direct recording out. So, it seems to be exactly what I'm looking for. I really do like my Uber pedal, though. I mean, it's the best digital, non-tube pedal I've had. Still, I would like a bit more range between clean and break-up than the Uber offers, and a bit more sustain as well.

But, my question is: Since there isn't a Guitar Center within 300 miles (literally) that has a Demonizer in stock to demo, has ANYONE here heard BOTH a Demonizer and an Uber Metal that could make any specific comparative comments? I'm assuming that the Demonizer sounds significantly better than the Uber, but I'd like to know how those who have heard both would characterize the specific differences in tonal range, break-up, etc. If it's got a totally different sonic character (which I imagine it does), I may keep the Uber as well. I'm not necessarily trying to pit the Uber "against" the Demonizer, it's just that I'll have a comparative "baseline" if anyone here has played both, and can comment.

Also, "quantitative," subjective comments like, "It's 10% better" or it's "200% better" are very helpful in analyzing the cost/benefit decision here.

I guess I'm looking for the best metal pedal or preamp under $1,000. I considered the Mesa/Boogie Recto, the SansAmp 1.1, and even pairing up an expensive tube head (EVH 5150, etc.) with a fancy speaker-load/simulator like the Motherload, etc. But going that route started looking REAL expensive. Also, I've read mixed reviews about, for example, the SansAmp "not having enough gain for metal." I just don't want to get one of these things home, turn the knob to '11,' and only then, find out that it's just not "enough."

The Demonizer seems like it may get 90% of the job done for a whole lot less money. If I go the high-end preamp route with a cabinet simulator, I'm looking at anywhere from $2,000 to $3,000. If I go with the Demonizer, it's as little as 1/10th the cost, at only $300. Remember, I'm using this for direct recording, so there is no amp or cabinet to consider.

Thanks again for any replies.
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Oct 2, 2007,
Quote by Horlicks
Why don't you have a look on youtube for vids?

Cos thats fantastic for sound quality
Thanks, Horlicks. I first just did a Google search and found the GearWire video last night, which oddly, I didn't find all that impressive. But after your suggestion, I just searched from within YouTube, and to my surprise, found several more Demonizer demo videos. One demo, shot on a trade show floor, sounds INCREDIBLE! The sound that player was getting in that demo was unbelieveably sweet. They didn't specify which amp they were playing out of, or if it was clean (I assume it was clean), but if that sound was mainly coming from the Demonizer alone, that thing sounds AWESOME!
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Oct 2, 2007,
Okay, I watched every video on YouTube I could find.

• Most demos spend 50% of the video demonstrating the "clean" sound.
• No one identifies "clock positions" of any knobs.
• I don't know if anyone ever turned everything up all the way in any of the demos.
• In the best-sounding demo ("Demonizer Pedal"), you can't see the amp. So you don't know what he's playing through, or if he's even playing through it clean.

Don't mean to be so whiney, but it was difficult to make any kind of meaningful evaluation at all from these. So . . . I guess I'll order one through a Guitar Center retail store, and if I don't like it, I'll just take it back.

tell me how it sounds, i'm thinking of gettin either this or a sansamp gt-2. i cant try them out cos none of the shops here stock them. gotta love ebay
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer