Page 1 of 2
k guys,just wondering..I got my first electric guitar less then a month ago..it was actually a gift from my friend...And i'm saving up to get a proper electric guitar. I actually wanted to get a fender but because he gave me a guitar of his,i had to re plan my plans.So i was thinking to actually do some serious saving and save about a thousand or so and get myself a MIM fender fat strat HSS~ its roughly a thousand over...but i'm waiting for this sale in singapore which reaches up to 50% off.But i want to have a larger variety to choose from...So i would like you all people to name your first ever electric guitar (which you like of course/fender)...just name it and i'll try it all out during the holidays~

In my sig-Fender Richie Sambora Standard Stratocaster..........good luck finding one, lol
Last edited by FenderStRaT RS at Oct 2, 2007,
Ive got a American Standard telecaster in vintage white with rosewood fretboard and shes called emma for some reason it wont let me put a pic up...
if your lookin to get a new guitar does it hav to b a fender?
the tone is equaled by an ESP (LTD) and Ibanez...and u get better PU's and a more versatile trem...and Gibson and PRS are like the sexiest sounding and some of the best looking guitars out...
Quote by Alex The Red

If it doesn't have to do with tube amps or sex most of us don't really care..

Quote by Kutanmoogle

Looks like Lars Ulrich decided to become a hacker.

Quote by aaron6890
penises FTW

not in the gay way

<.<
>.>

Last edited by morrison27 at Oct 2, 2007,
Quote by morrison27
the tone is equaled by an ESP (LTD) and Ibanez...and u get better PU's and a more versatile trem...and IMO Gibson and PRS are like the sexiest sounding and some of the best sounding guitars out...

I dont agree at all

An ESP or Ibanez will not sound better than a fender strat for blues or clean guitar work, it may be better for hardrock up to metal, but thats about it. I personally hate floyd rose trems, and wouldnt ever advise them unless they will be whammy wanking. A strat tremelo is more than fine for mild tremelo if thats what you want.

And also it should be IMO, because IMO Fender has some of the sexiest sounding tones.
Last edited by Hakanku at Oct 2, 2007,
PRS/GIBSON>FENDER
rickenbaker>alot
y not a rickenbacker?
apart from the price and lack of a trem...or a gretsch
Quote by Alex The Red

Quote by Kutanmoogle

Quote by aaron6890
penises FTW

not in the gay way

<.<
>.>

TS ignore morrison, he is being abit of a weeb.

Different horses for different courses,
in some cases gib/prs>fender
in some cases fender>gib/prs

They are completely different guitars and give different tones, you cant compare a gibson in general to a fender in general, the only way you can compare is if you have actual models and a specific tone in mind. An american strat will be better for hendrix than a gibson SG, same as a SG will be better for ACDC than a strat.
gibson is better the fender for blues aswell...gibson have some sweet hollowbodies...so good that one of the best blues guitarists, B.B. King, has a sig es 335...clapton played a custom 335 in the 70's...gibson is very versatile
Quote by Alex The Red

Quote by Kutanmoogle

Quote by aaron6890
penises FTW

not in the gay way

<.<
>.>

Quote by morrison27
gibson is better the fender for blues aswell...gibson have some sweet hollowbodies...so good that one of the best blues guitarists, B.B. King, has a sig es 335...clapton played a custom 335 in the 70's...gibson is very versatile

He played a Gibson in the 70s and is now playing Fender guitars. Doesn't that tell you something Morrison? Gibson is better than Fender for some aspects of music whilst Fender is better for other aspects.

You can't say that Gibson and PRS are better than Fender.
I didnt say gibson cant be used for blues, same as I didnt say fender cant be used for hard rock, but you wont get a good hendrix tone with a gibson, nor will you get a clapton tone (in the days he used fender strats), or a SRV tone. (they can come close, but never 'that' close)

Just to show im not a fender fanboy, this Also works the other way around, a fender strat will not get you BB King tones, ACDC etc (again, it can get close to some, but not 'that' close)

And once again, In Your Opinion, gibson is better for blues, there is no such thing as a definitive 'better for' when it comes to equal guitars, some gibsons will be better for some blues and rock tones and some fenders will be better for other blues and rock tones. They both have different tones, and although they can immitate each other, they still wont get the same tones of each other identically.
Quote by Hakanku
I dont agree at all

An ESP or Ibanez will not sound better than a fender strat for blues or clean guitar work, it may be better for hardrock up to metal, but thats about it. I personally hate floyd rose trems, and wouldnt ever advise them unless they will be whammy wanking. A strat tremelo is more than fine for mild tremelo if thats what you want.

And also it should be IMO, because IMO Fender has some of the sexiest sounding tones.

I agree with everything that you said, and cant stand floyd rose's..... Strats are played by basically every genre..... Alot of ibanez's and esp's, jacksons etc are modelled on the first ever strat, so why not get the original..... You cannot go wrong with a strat.. Just ask Gilmour, Blackmore, Malmsteen, Knophfler, Jannik Gers, Dave Murray, Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton and co.
Frank Zappa's not dead. He just smells funny.
i actually wanted a RG350,but later i thought that i'd probably be playing for funk rock than metal...so yeah,i chose the fender in the end...any recomendations on a strat that is versatile and leaning towards the funk rock side? i like bands like RHCP...but also metal bands like system of a down..so yeah,a fender thats versatile and preferbly affordable..
^ try and find a fat strat.

I have a MIM Standard Strat, it's probably best guitar you can possibly buy for 500$ .

Gibson/PRS might have some nice finishes, better trems and sh*t like that, but for the most ORIGINAL electric guitar in the world, you can't say no to Fender.
Quote by Hakanku
I didnt say gibson cant be used for blues, same as I didnt say fender cant be used for hard rock, but you wont get a good hendrix tone with a gibson, nor will you get a clapton tone (in the days he used fender strats), or a SRV tone. (they can come close, but never 'that' close)

Just to show im not a fender fanboy, this Also works the other way around, a fender strat will not get you BB King tones, ACDC etc (again, it can get close to some, but not 'that' close)

And once again, In Your Opinion, gibson is better for blues, there is no such thing as a definitive 'better for' when it comes to equal guitars, some gibsons will be better for some blues and rock tones and some fenders will be better for other blues and rock tones. They both have different tones, and although they can immitate each other, they still wont get the same tones of each other identically.

+1 to everything you've said. Seriously people, once you start paying over, say $1200, they're all going to be good. One is not going to be better then the other, but you will prefer one to the other. Doesn't make it better.
Quote by morrison27
PRS/GIBSON>FENDER
rickenbaker>alot
y not a rickenbacker?
apart from the price and lack of a trem...or a gretsch

more expensive does not equal better, and no brand is "better" than another. its all preferance.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
^Of course.......not crap ons like low end squiers and make sure when u test them out......make sure they dont give u 1000000 dollar amp to try on,even a squier may sound better than a fender plugged into ur amp
lol,but the amps they supply in swee lee are like mega pro...thousand dollar...mines only a 15W 200sing marshall...
Fender 60th Anniversary Deluxe Stratocaster.... limited ed so its pretty much impossible to find it... silver/creme Pearl Finish,texas specials...
all sounds so expensive...lol,i'm really not that good yet..i'm self taught for less then a year so far...but do you guys think i should get the american fat strat HSS or the mexican fat strat HSS? well,of course,my last resort would be to camp at sweelees for a whole day and keep trying the guitars...heck,i don't even know that many songs..=X
A MIA if u have the cash of course if not a MIM with changed pickups will do
Last edited by FenderStRaT RS at Oct 3, 2007,
I had an MIM Deluxe Fat Strat for a while and it sort of grew on my a bit. I really enjoyed playing just plain rock with it,(Strokes, Franz Ferdinand, RHCP,etc.) The neck and mid pickup were great for clean/blues. I got it for 400usd and it came with a case, it might have been my favorite guitar to date, but I moved on to metal and made a big mistake to sell it. You should look on eBay or good deals on MF to see if you can pick one up.

B.T.W., I think the pickups were 2 texas special single coils and an Atomic humbucker, but I am not sure, but they came stock with it.(Hence the DLX in the name.)
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You have no experience with racks??? What kind of guy are you?
Quote by FenderStRaT RS
A MIA if u have the cah of course if not a MIM with changed pickups will do

Agreed, if you can get an American one, by all means do, but the Mexican guitars are fine to.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
mericans are abit all too expensive..trying to keep below a price range of 1k sing...(about 400-500 USD)
Fender MIM Tele Standard.

Amazing guitar. It was $420.
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
but those telecasters are meant for blues arent they?i play mostly rock and funk...the mim should suit me cos it suits RHCP! love them~ =D
IMO, a Tele can do anything from sparkling cleans to searing lead tones(all stock; though, you may need a noise gate for Metal).

Edit - Although, Strats are very versatile and amazing guitars, as well. It really all depends on how bright you like your tone to be. I suggest that once you figure out which model you want to buy, try a Tele and a Strat(of the same model) side by side to decide which you like the best.
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
Last edited by Haha, Crackhead at Oct 4, 2007,
Quote by morrison27
gibson is better the fender for blues aswell...

okay, well lets see ur support for this statement...
Quote by morrison27
gibson have some sweet hollowbodies...

yes indeed they do.
Quote by morrison27
so good that one of the best blues guitarists, B.B. King, has a sig es 335...

yes. he has a sig, but not actually an ES335. BB King told Gibson to make it so there wasn't an F-hole on the top, so he can control feedback better. its name is Lucille.
Quote by morrison27
clapton played a custom 335 in the 70's...

wrong. he played them in the late 60s in cream and other bands, but not really in the 70s. he acquired his brownie (strat) in '67, used it in concert and studio, used exclusively in the Derek and the Dominos album "Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs". After '71, it served as backup guitar for his new Blackie, which he acquired in '71. so from this, we can tell he used stratocasters from the late 60s up until now.

Notable blues playing strat users:
Eric Clapton
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Rory Gallagher
Jeff Beck
Mark Knopfler
Robert Cray
Buddy Guy
John Mayer
John Frusciante
Jimmie Vaughan

yep. many people prefer strats over gibsons. lots of them have used gibsons too. but they like the sound and the feel of a strat.
Quote by morrison27
gibson is very versatile

no, that's not the point of the discussion. you're trying to change the subject now?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I mean if you get a MIM ... do you see yourself buying and MIA in the next 5 years down the road? if you do just get the MIA.... its really up to you...

btw... do u visit soft?
Since u dont hae the cash a MIM Fat Strat with changed pickups will do and yo the guy above me,wats "soft"?
erm,softs a forum fer local singaporeans..and yes,i do visit soft...if i remember correctly..my names Ibanezfreak...or maybe its noobonzone too....have not gone there fer a very long time...haha,and 5 years? screw you! *nah just jking,dun take my insults personally* erm,i'd probably get the MIM,then go on to drums~ YEAH! oh course the drums would cost my a truck load of green stuffs...but i think i'll somewhat master the guitar first..hehe,still abit young..So if like some ass walks up to me and say ''dude you suck in drums man'' den i'll be able to shove 2 middle fingers in his face and play fer him some impressive shredding skills den i'll whack the day lights out of his squashed head with my MIM...hehe,

not really quite sure yet...might get drums after the MIM,but i might also help myself to a new guitar...i mean,one aint satisfying enough right? =D but den again,the MIM is a good guitar..and its pretty costly...and btw,i'm slowly saving up with my own money...cos i'm like very young and i don't have access to my bank acc...and i'm worried about noise polution..sis and bro already walking up to my ''guitar room'' and asking me to shut it when the volumes only turned 2 four..heeh,can't imagine drums! but i'd probably keep on with guitar..of course i'll be jamming with my friends who have drums...so maybe i can have some fun over at thier house...
Last edited by NoobOnZone at Oct 4, 2007,
can u get MIJs in singapore? those are total STEALs!!! i'm picking one up this winter in japan. they're almost american strat quality at a mexican strat price. i can't wait.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
One guitar aint enough fer me.........and why drums when ur not that good in guitar yet?Unless ur trying to be a one man band.......dont pressure urself too much........learn some music theory,then it would easy 4 u 2 move to other instruments
MIJs? i doupt so..i rarely visit the shops..cos its quite far from my house..and i don't know alot about fenders..
yes,i changed my reply...i'm planning to get a few one hit k.o. moves first fer guitar...den ill consider other instruments...
haha o well. MIJs are rumored superior to many of the modern fender guitars.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
haha,japan what do you expect? =D my cousins are from japan..and fenderstrat,do you know whether MIJs are in stock? i don't know,the last time i visited the shops was like a few months back..
Quote by NoobOnZone
MIJs? i doupt so..i rarely visit the shops..cos its quite far from my house..and i don't know alot about fenders..

yes you can get a MIJ in singapore! but not at swee lee.... yes MIJs are cheaper than MIMs and still good!

edit: you can get MIJ at guitar77
Last edited by petrina_678 at Oct 4, 2007,
Page 1 of 2