The news article on Radiohead prompted me to think about this, is technology is moving to fast? I mean VHS went defunct a couple of years ago due to DVD, and now the ways things are moving I can CDs going that way. I would much rarther own a cd with the artowrk and packaging and be able to blast it out in my stereo than have a digital download of the album. What are your thoughts on the subject?
Just because mp3s exist doesn't mean it's impossible to buy a CD or a record.

So... what's the problem?

TS is egocentric.
I love having original CDs, with all the artwork and packaging. It's just so much more satisfying being able to own something real, and to be able to read the booklets and see the artwork/photography than just mp3s and jpegs on the computer.

I hope there'll always be something physical you can buy, even if CDs do get replaced.
I didn't have a signature until now.
Technology moving too fast? I believe that technology is actually held back, as where is the business sense in releasing the most badass up-to-date technology in one go, when you can drip feed it bit by bit to the public in increase profit margins?
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
I think that you'll always be able to get something physical. CDs are the greatest. I still preorder them .
Quote by kriscornella2@g
I know i wish i was as cool as you and be into Sum 41 and Taking back Sunday. Gaylord.

Quote by civildp1
you should call one of the songs, "Respecting Old People" just to mix things up.

Quote by вяaи∂ иєw
You just made a very powerful enemy BenFoffenbock.
no. simply...no
Quote by hug a llama
Dude, if a title read "penis pics, come on in" I think about 93% of UG would still click on it.

Quote by Burpin'Worm
Nonsense. I'm telling you, nothing makes the fairer sex swoon like an extensive knowledge of siege weaponry and medieval battle tactics.
I think that, as long as the term "retro" exists, technology cannot be moving too fast

Also with everyone saying in the radiohead article that they like having something physical to hold such as a CD booklet with all the artwork...I would much prefer to have a Vinyl than a CD, then theres something massive to look at and read, and also vinyl are slightly hypnotic when watching them go round
it's moving at a nice pace. cds won't go out of production in favour of mp3s. i mean, many ppl still collect vinyls.
Fender American Strat.
Yeah vinyls may be big and beautiful, but come on... vinyls? Why not just have a gramaphone instead of a stereo then beacuse their wood finish looks nice?
Quote by kriscornella2@g
I know i wish i was as cool as you and be into Sum 41 and Taking back Sunday. Gaylord.

Quote by civildp1
you should call one of the songs, "Respecting Old People" just to mix things up.

Quote by вяaи∂ иєw
You just made a very powerful enemy BenFoffenbock.
Quote by BenFoffenbock
Yeah vinyls may be big and beautiful, but come on... vinyls? Why not just have a gramaphone instead of a stereo then beacuse their wood finish looks nice?

Personal opinion and all that but i reckon they sound more "authentic" as well...it's probably 'cos I'm in to all the "oldies" that I like the sound of vinyls better than cds...
Quote by BenFoffenbock

Yes
myspace.com/theunwantedjellybean <--- Add It!
Quote by MA 4 ever
The news article on Radiohead prompted me to think about this, is technology is moving to fast? I mean VHS went defunct a couple of years ago due to DVD, and now the ways things are moving I can CDs going that way. I would much rarther own a cd with the artowrk and packaging and be able to blast it out in my stereo than have a digital download of the album. What are your thoughts on the subject?

You can't stop progress!
Vinyls sound like arse though.

Anyway, I much prefer having bought CDs than downloaded mp3s or burnt CDs.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Where's fast?
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
Quote by Smokey Amp
Where's fast?
Short for Belfast. Y'see, all technology is going to Belfast and the rest of the world is going to enter another Dark Age.
Quote by Scourge
Short for Belfast. Y'see, all technology is going to Belfast and the rest of the world is going to enter another Dark Age.

Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
Quote by breadstick
I wish it would move faster. Bring on the hoverboards!

watching back to the further
Ibanez S470
Boss ME-50...
Some old amp...

Quote by Scourge
I love having original CDs, with all the artwork and packaging. It's just so much more satisfying being able to own something real, and to be able to read the booklets and see the artwork/photography than just mp3s and jpegs on the computer.

I hope there'll always be something physical you can buy, even if CDs do get replaced.

I totally agree with that. I only download albums if I can't find them anywhere else.
Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz
Go in peace my son, and teach to the pit dwellers what I have shown unto you.

ಠ_ಠ

XBL: huffy409
To be completely honest, Downloading isn't all that, and people these days know it.
Most people who listen to rock, classical, jazz or something like that really want quality sound, which you won't get from MP3.

Besides, it's always more fun to physically own an album.
By the way, the Vinyl made a big comeback some years ago, and that market is still growing. I'm still waiting for the 8-track revival.
Quote by hippie_cune
Stukart, you're the most awesome human being I have ever met. I love you
people who say they love having the artwork will eventually die out
the last generation liked having A and B sides and sleeves on their LPs but nobody cares about that any more
our kids won't care about CDs as downloading MP3s will probably become the norm
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ran Custom Invader

Maxon OD9 Pro+
ISP Decimator
Diago Powerstation

Marshall TSL60
Marshall 1960A cab

www.myspace.com/samtewari
Quote by samtewari
the last generation liked having A and B sides and sleeves on their LPs but nobody cares about that any more
People who buy for the artwork and such would love to have LP sleeves as well. I know I'd LOVE to have some.
We have a Dark Side of the Moon vinyl. Real Classic. Quadrophonic and everything. I'd love to own it myself, I love the sleeves and such.

People "don't care" about them anymore because they're just not so readily available as CDs. You have to go to specialty stores that sell second hand vinyls, or fork out $40-50 for new vinyls. They're a lot harder to get your hands on.

I think like Stukart said, downloading is starting to lose it's novelty. People still do it all the time, but it's not such a huge thing as it used to be I think. I mean don't get me wrong, people still constantly download music at massive rates, but now that it's been happening for a while it's lost it's novelty a bit. I wouldn't be surprised if the CD sale rates have increased in the last couple of years.
Internet downloading actually improves CD sales a lot, in a sense. People will download a song, like the album, buy the whole thing. People are more likely to buy an album if they hear a sample of a couple of songs, rather than not hearing anything off the album.

Hope that made sense to anyone, I'm tired and have a headache.
technology can never move too fast, i'm waiting for a hoverboard with a jet engine on the back and a computer in the front
I don't think CDs will be replaced. VHS was replaced by DVD because it was more convenient and the tape gets scratched easily.

It would just affect too many people if CDs were replaced (musicians, suppliers, factory workers, shop workers etc) and I can't see most of the older generation using mp3s.
Quote by samtewari

my thoughts exactly.

i'm all for downloading. easier access to more songs.
Quote by MA 4 ever
The news article on Radiohead prompted me to think about this, is technology is moving to fast?

Apparantly not fast enough to have a grammar check on a forum.
Quote by elemental_d
Apparantly not fast enough to have a grammar check on a forum.

Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Quote by Rhitard
I don't think CDs will be replaced. VHS was replaced by DVD because it was more convenient and the tape gets scratched easily.

It would just affect too many people if CDs were replaced (musicians, suppliers, factory workers, shop workers etc) and I can't see most of the older generation using mp3s.
CDs get damaged easier than tapes, actually. Although CDs have been getting better at being protected against scratches and such.

DVDs have little to no protection though, and when they're scratched they're very likely to be fucked.

You can leave videos lying around anywhere, on top of nearly anything, have things on top of it, not needing any kind of real protection for it.. but CDs/DVDs practically NEED to be in a protective sleeve and stored correctly to prevent damage.

Although, when a tape does get buggered it can really mess things up. Like the tape getting caught in the machine, damaging it and any other tapes that go into the machine.. (Got I hated those experiences...), and the protective casing can get cracked and broken as well (though good thing is you can replace them and still keep the tape safe and usable).

But yes, CDs/DVDs are so much better than Cassettes. No argument there.
I think the better question is: Are we as a people moving too slow to catch up?
Is it a bad thing if one of your testicles is larger then the other two?
Quote by Burpbelly
I think that, as long as the term "retro" exists, technology cannot be moving too fast

Also with everyone saying in the radiohead article that they like having something physical to hold such as a CD booklet with all the artwork...I would much prefer to have a Vinyl than a CD, then theres something massive to look at and read, and also vinyl are slightly hypnotic when watching them go round

we should just have vinyls and mp3s. cds are just a weak medium. Vinyls own with big artwork and mp3s are portable. cds are right in the middle and they suck.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
It takes technology to breed technology, get used to it.
''Technological advancements are like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.'' - Albert Einstein
I'm pretty much done with physical media mediums. Nothing is more convenient then having all my music and DVD's on my computer (which is hooked upto my tv and is my primary media source). My car has an mp3 player as well so I can throw 8 albums onto a disc and not worry about trying to change CD's constantly in traffic.

I know quality of MP3's is a concern, but MP3 purchases will soon give way to FLAC purchases as internet bandwidth starts improving. Also sound quality is not really that big of an issue. I bet most people in this thread have never even heard of SACD or DVD-A, if people are so concerned with audio quality why are these new audio formats going nowhere at an incredible speed?

CD's will obviously never go away though. Or some physical audio form anyways. Not everyone is into computers.
2002 Muddy Waters Fender Telecaser (MIM) (w/ Bill Lawrence pickups & black matte pickguard)
2006 Ibanez sz520qm (w/ Grover tuners)
Epiphone DR-100

Traynor YCV50-Blue
Toneport GX / Ampltube 2
I don't think CD's will become obsolete at all, although I think the production of digital music (available to buy specially as an mp3 or whatever, not just limewire stuff where you give it to other people) will become popular as a way of the bands making some of their money, more so than now anyway.
You cannot choose the little time you're given in this world. You enter bare and unclothed, provided only with intelligence enough to choose how you spend your time. You always have a choice. Always. Though be warned, your choice can rarely be undone
CD's are awesome. They'll last a while. I mean, you have DVD's now with more storage space, but they're not used for music.

Note that although LP's aren't common, most albums contain 8-12 songs, about the same as an LP, maybe a couple of songs over.

Even with DVD's, no artist will put out albums with 5 gigabytes of music. They'll stick to CD's.