i really find it annoying when im playing through a loud amp while im close to it,i know that the whole porpose is to share the music,but the loudness really hits me between the ears and i start to make mistakes!!
is it gonna be loud like this onstage? or will the amps be directed away,and is there a way to cope with it??
also,i want to still hear without hearing aids when im 50,so how can i preserve my hearing and still be able to play perfectly audible music?
or should i just step away from loud amps??
Quote by Alijonroth
i really find it annoying when im playing through a loud amp while im close to it,i know that the whole porpose is to share the music,but the loudness really hits me between the ears and i start to make mistakes!!
is it gonna be loud like this onstage? or will the amps be directed away,and is there a way to cope with it??
also,i want to still hear without hearing aids when im 50,so how can i preserve my hearing and still be able to play perfectly audible music?

on stage your further away from the amps plus it's usually a bigger room with more bodies to absorb the sound. So it doesn't affect you as bad.

plus I think there's a bit of a psychological effect. when I play loud on my own, I tend to hesitate a bit and mistakes happen. but when it's a full band situation I don't feel like I have to hold back.

ear plugs will preserve your hearing but for gigs I didn't feel the need to use them. I just used them in practice because after practices I had the worst headache ever as well as my ears ringing for several days.

so I got earplugs.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Last edited by Lemoninfluence at Oct 2, 2007,
I played a show couple of months ago. I thought my bass wasn't loud enough and our guitars weren't loud enough aswell. But the people in the crowd were fine, they said the vocals weren't loud enough (which I heard the most...weird). But as Lemoninfluence said, go with ear plugs if it concerns you so much.
sincewhen??

Quote by Mannypedraza
Today, me and my gf went to the movies. During, i put my hand down her shorts.
I keep smelling my hand as of now....anything wrong with me?
teh pronz
any brand will do man i have the same prob with cos my room is very small i cant but my amp very loud it drives me crazy
tombst0ne designs
Digital art ,CD covers,posters,anything let me now
my gallery
Quote by sincewhen??
I played a show couple of months ago. I thought my bass wasn't loud enough and our guitars weren't loud enough aswell. But the people in the crowd were fine, they said the vocals weren't loud enough (which I heard the most...weird). But as Lemoninfluence said, go with ear plugs if it concerns you so much.

the PA will have the levels differently than to what you hear on stage.

I usually have the sound guy put the drummer and vocalist quite loud on my monitor because usually I'm close enough to my own amp to hear me and the other guitars aren't really that important to hear. but the audience will hear them pretty evenly.

and TS, I can't recommend any particular brand because tbh I just used some earplugs that my uncle got me from working in the jaguar factory.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Why would you want to play so loud at home that you need earplugs? Maybe you need a smaller practice amp. If you want to overdrive the power amp try getting into a larger room and piling some couch pillows in front of the speaker. Sounds cheesy but it works. Just make sure the amp gets some air to cool. And stand further away.
I love human logic.

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by Alijonroth

yeah, you definatlely don't want hearing aids. (lol. AIDS) trust me. i've been having it almost my entire life. yet it's good in a way; i learn alot 'bout ears and hearing.
i'd say don't play in volumes over 120 db without earplugs that reduce the damaging frequenses. also, don't be in environments with >120 db more than once, maximum twice a month. any more and your hearing could be damaged.
You like it
^

Precisely.

I used to learn all my band's songs so that if I couldn't hear them, I could still do my vocals in time with the instruments. It never failed. NEVER!
Quote by linus.d
yeah, you definatlely don't want hearing aids. (lol. AIDS) trust me. i've been having it almost my entire life. yet it's good in a way; i learn alot 'bout ears and hearing.
i'd say don't play in volumes over 120 db without earplugs that reduce the damaging frequenses. also, don't be in environments with >120 db more than once, maximum twice a month. any more and your hearing could be damaged.

Plug your ears up, and if need be, wear ear muffs. Who cares what other people think?

During my practices we have a nice big space and the drummer uses silencer pads. Live I plug my ears when I'm going to be near the drummer.
i find that ear plugs actually help you hear better what is going on.Kinda feels like you are the audiance watching.
step away. anyways, you can hear the natural character of the amp better then. the air attenuates the frequencys, so the bass comes out alot bigger and the trebles less biting
Yeah, like it has been mentioned above, a PA system should generally be used - unless playing to a place with less than a 50 person capacity. Monitor mixes will generally be the best solution to the problem as well as the aforementioned earplugs.

Rock on!
Quote by linus.d

Um, 120db can do you bodily harm, not just hurt. 95db is where humans start to get permanant damage. I build speakers as my other hobby and have been concerned about this subject for 20 some-odd years. A quick Google will verify these facts. Here is a link with a nice chart...

http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/loudness.html

Chris
Good ear plugs a must

No sense in messing around with your hearing, plus it'll sound better to you while your on stage.