hey, i have an esp ltd ec 1000 (esp les paul) and i was wondering if i cut put a third set of humbuckers in the middle like ace frehley has, im a big ace frehley fan...is that possible?
if dont know what im trying to say...i know i didnt explain it well...
http://www.ericernest.com/AV.C.Frehley.jpg theres the 3
http://www.davesguitar.com/product/10361.JPG and theres the 2...thats the exact same guitar i have, can i put another set into that? how much would it cost if possible?
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
Totally possible. Just needs some routing.

Check with a store or luthier how much they charge to rout and install. Add that to the cost of the pickup you want. Thats about it.
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
First measure the length of the humbucker including the pickup ring, just to be double sure it'll fit in the space you have. Then you shoudl pretty much be good, if you know how to use a router then you can even do it yourself.

Otherwise take it in to a luthier ask him to route out an extra cavity as well as drill in a hole in the sides so wires can get through to the electronics. Then just screw in the pickup ring and wire it up then screw in the pickup. easy.
Ummmmmm are you doing it for the extra tone or for the look?
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by FacingUsAll
Ummmmmm are you doing it for the extra tone or for the look?

extra tone...and ill prly get some dimarzio super distortions...hey how would the toggle switch work though...would the middle be the middle humbucker?
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
if your short on space, you could always get a hot rails pickup or stacked humbuckers for the middle position. Would look neater too
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Quote by bi-ah!
extra tone...and ill prly get some dimarzio super distortions...hey how would the toggle switch work though...would the middle be the middle humbucker?

i think so, but try getting a 6 position varitone instead of the standard switch, if you don't want the 3 position.

but i gues then you'd only use a master volume and master tone or i gues you could drill 2 more holes
you can route it for a 5 pos toggle like a strat. then activate any neat effects with push/pull pots.
Quote by bi-ah!

No one puts a third bucker in for tone...
It will make your tone worse, the sound won't really be that different from the other two and there will be a large loss of sustain due to taking that piece of wood out AND the added magnetic pull on the string.
My advice is go to your local GC or other store and play an SG-3 or some other 3-pickup guitar and compare it to a regular SG or the 3-pickup-guitar's 2 pickup counterpart.
You'll obviously need to do some routing. You may need to do a little routing of the bridge pickup cavity toward the bridge as there may not be quite enough room.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Quote by livingontheedge
i think so, but try getting a 6 position varitone instead of the standard switch, if you don't want the 3 position.

but i gues then you'd only use a master volume and master tone or i gues you could drill 2 more holes

how would i get a six way...how much am i looking at spending...i only have 300$ right now...
Quote by Jack Off Jill

Quote by *sigh*
Quote by livingontheedge

Varitone is usually a term thrown around for a variably tone capacitor switch. Which isn't what you seem to be on about.

An easy way to do this would be to add the middle pickup in there, with a push/pull pot turning it on in parallel with the other switches.

I honestly don't find a middle pickup that useful, in terms of humbuckers.
Ace Frehley doesnn't actually have a middle humbucker, it's a dummy.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Ace Frehley doesnn't actually have a middle humbucker, it's a dummy.

are you serious?!
Quote by Jack Off Jill

Quote by *sigh*
Yup, he just has a bobbin there with no coils because it mucks up the sound, although his Gibson and Epiphone sig guitars do have 3 pickups, however 3 high-output humbuckers is an awful lot of pull on the strings, also the fields interfere with each other.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
i doubt it would fit anyway, the esp is a 24 fret while ace's gibson is a 22 meaning there is less room between the bridge and the end of the fretboard. You could do a humbucking single coil though since you said youre just looking for tone
Quote by -Atticus-

oh and btw how do u put a quote in ur sig??
There would just barely be room. The bridge pickup would have to be moved a hair closer to the bridge, but that's about it.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Just get a SC-sized Humbucker & it'll fit fine.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Quote by matticus66
i doubt it would fit anyway, the esp is a 24 fret while ace's gibson is a 22 meaning there is less room between the bridge and the end of the fretboard. You could do a humbucking single coil though since you said youre just looking for tone

that acually sounds like a pwnin idea...whats a good single coil? is there seymour duncan single coil?
Quote by Jack Off Jill

Quote by *sigh*
I was about to recommend a nice mid-output single coil but someone beat me to it.

I vote you put a dimarzio in there somewhere. Maybe a YJM if it'd work.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
how much would it cost to put it in?
Quote by Jack Off Jill

Quote by *sigh*
most people say that the middle pu is useless when you do this kinda thing. if you really want it still for looks i would maybe buy a mounting ring and pickup cover and attach it in between your pickups so it looks like it has 3 pickups. much better solution to get that look
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣