i'll be getting a new amp for x-mas, so last week i started doing some research on amps, and i made a list of like 20 amps. after getting rid of the ridicolous and expensive ones, i hand picked the Kustom HV65 (or HV100) and the Line 6 Spider III 75 watt, so i just wanted to know what you guys think i should get because, well, i'm not paying for it
Im not an amp expert, but it'd be easier for others to help if u posted a budget, and wat kinda music u play
Half Man, Half Bearpig! I am Super Sereal!

Quote by jravolta
Every time the Jonas Brothers play, an innocent in Darfur is killed.

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee
I am not 12, but my sack is still hairless.

Quote by magnum1117
my balls are hairy as chewbacca's...
Quote by timzee117
fender blues junior.

NEVER LINE SIX EVER EVER VER EVER EVER TOO COMPUTER LIKE

No offence but a line 6 sounds completely different from the average PC...

TS, what are your music styles and budget? And are you gigging?
Don't buy the Line 6 unless you intend on ditching it within a year. Look into some Marshalls, maybe randalls, even if theyre not tube theyll be 100 times better than the Line 6.
Gear
Good Guitars
Good Pedals
Good Amps

That is all.
Quote by guitarist_with_
Don't buy the Line 6 unless you intend on ditching it within a year. Look into some Marshalls, maybe randalls, even if theyre not tube theyll be 100 times better than the Line 6.

no they won't. Well, not the marshall's.
Quote by djmay71
i'll be getting a new amp for x-mas, so last week i started doing some research on amps, and i made a list of like 20 amps. after getting rid of the ridicolous and expensive ones, i hand picked the Kustom HV65 (or HV100) and the Line 6 Spider III 75 watt, so i just wanted to know what you guys think i should get because, well, i'm not paying for it

What do you play? And what would the budget be? (for the person that IS buying it.)
Quote by Horlicks

Please go and try them.
Gear
Good Guitars
Good Pedals
Good Amps

That is all.
I hate how everyone automatically dumps the hate on the Line 6's. Line 6 amps, and particularly the spider 3, are good amps for practicing *at home*. Where they fail is when you crank them up, because as they are solid state, they don't sound too great at high volumes. If you are just going to be playing at home and don't plan on playing in a band or gigging, then a Line 6 may be appropriate for you. Otherwise, look into getting a tube amp.

Also man, let us know your budget, what kind of player you are, what kind of environment you'll be playing in, and your style.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
Quote by guitarist_with_
Please go and try them.

Please go and try an MG, smart-ass
there's only one solid state marshall, the MG. AVT is hybrid (although still pretty bad).

EDIT: Is the mode 4 hybrid?
Last edited by Horlicks at Oct 2, 2007,
Quote by guitarist_with_
Please go and try them.

The Marshall MGs, or AVTs? That's what he was referring to. The solid state Marshalls. If so, no thanks.

^^Line 6 makes good amps. The Flextone, the Vetta...However, most people buy the 75 watt version or the 120 watt version of the Spider, which is just a terrible investment. A 30 watter is a good practice amp for a beginner.
Quote by Horlicks

i agree. i'd much rather have a line 6 spider than an MG. assuming you're only practicing, they aren't too bad actually. though obviously i'd prefer a cube.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i play practically anything, but i'll be playing mostly hard rock/ metal with my band. we won't have any gigs yet, coz we don't even have a drummer yet. i have a Peavey Backstage, so i kinda like the tube, but i could go either way. i've tryed a line 6 that my lead guitarist in my band has, and its fine for me. my budget could be a max of $600.
if you don't need really nice cleans, if you're lucky you might pick up a second hand peavey 5150 combo for that.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
the only reason why i like the Kustom and the Line 6 is all the effects. i don't have any stompboxes or anything so id anything i'd like an amp with some effects, and maybe invest in a foot switch in the future
I think it makes more sense to buy an amp for it's tone and then add effects later.

You sound better that way .
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
agreed, though i can't speak for everyone as i'm not much an fx guy myself.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Then go for a PodXT Live and a Keyboard amp/Roland Jazz Chorus.
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
PodXT....Line6? i'm not much of a gear nerd so you'll have to fill me in. how much?
Quote by djmay71
PodXT....Line6? i'm not much of a gear nerd so you'll have to fill me in. how much?

They are like $400 new, but you can always go used.

Since you wouldn't need the amp to do color the tone, getting a nice transparent amp (like a Keyboard amp) would work.
Quote by utsapp89
^ meh, id go with something more along the lines of a twin reverb or one of those atomic power amps.
His max price is $600, and loud keyboard amps are cheap .

Quote by utsapp89