Hey guys,

I picked up bass in August so im still a complete novice. I can play a few good songs (Suck My Kiss, Bulls On Parade, Bombtrack) stuff like that. But i want to start playing some metal hardcore, EG: Hatebreed. It's in Drop C, but i can't seem to get my Korg GA-30 to tune it? When i turn the key (I'm assuming lower to get from E to C), the tuner eventually just stops responding completely until i tune it back up to E (At least thats what i think is happening.)

As i said, i am a novice still and unfamiliar with all the technical jargon! If anyone has a good guide or something that will tell a novice like me how to tune to Drop C (And other drop tunings EG: D) then i would be very grateful!

Thanks in advance dudes!!!
Hold down the fourth fret of your E string and tune it to an E then. That'll put you in drop C.
does your tuner have multiple settings (eg. guitar/bass/chromatic)? if it does, set it to chromatic.
Quote by HeliuM
Hold down the fourth fret of your E string and tune it to an E then. That'll put you in drop C.

Wow fast reply, and thanks.

So i held the 4th fret of the E string, then plucked and adjusted the key till Korg (tuner) showed it at 4E? Is that right? The string feels tighter, shouldn't it be looser?

Thanks again.
Listen, just play the 12th fret hamonic and then tune that down to C. If that's still too low, play the 5th fret harmonic and, once again, tune down till that harmonic is in C. If you trully are a noob, to play a harmonic, gently touch the string where the fret is without pressing down and then pluck the string. Works best with fingers by the bridge.

/thread
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by viper_mike
does your tuner have multiple settings (eg. guitar/bass/chromatic)? if it does, set it to chromatic.

It just says 'Guitar/Bass' then beneath that, 'Flat' - i don't know what this 'Flat' button is for though, nor how it works!
I had that problem too, but I just bought a better tuner. Yes, you can hold the 4th fret down and tune it like that, or you can use resonance (I learned this waaayyy back in physics). For instance, in standard tuning, holding the 5th fret E string would produce an A which would make the A string resonate (uhm...in simpler terms it would vibrate). Doing this can really speed up your tuning without a tuner. It can also train your ear to throw that stupid tuner away. I do this on my guitar but not on my bass (???).
Quote by HeliuM

Well guys i tried this HeliuM's method, i think it worked im not totally sure. The other methods seem a little too complicated at the moment (At least compared to HeliuM's). I'm not sure if it actually IS in Drop C though, should my string be tighter?

I am grateful for the quick responses and methods you dudes provided though!
The "flat" button will help you get it. Hitting it once drops the tuner down a half step, and hitting it twice down a whole strep. So to go from E to D, hit it twice. To go from D to C, hit it four times. Even though the tuner still says you're tuning to E, because of the flats, it will tune you to C. Now do the same thing on the other strings, except only hit the flat twice, which you take you from A to G, D to C, and G to F.

If your strings are loose, then you're probably right. Unless your bass is set up for Drop C (with fat strings, truss rod and bridge adjustments), your low C will be extremely loose.
Quote by BlueShox
The "flat" button will help you get it. Hitting it once drops the tuner down a half step, and hitting it twice down a whole strep. So to go from E to D, hit it twice. To go from D to C, hit it four times. Even though the tuner still says you're tuning to E, because of the flats, it will tune you to C. Now do the same thing on the other strings, except only hit the flat twice, which you take you from A to G, D to C, and G to F.

If your strings are loose, then you're probably right. Unless your bass is set up for Drop C (with fat strings, truss rod and bridge adjustments), your low C will be extremely loose.

Wow Blueshox, very helpful! Now i understand what that Flats thing is for.

So basically, i hit it 4 times (to bring up the 4 flats signs) then tuned it to 'E' which is actually Drop C? It does feel very loose now so i must be doin something right?

Now, about the other strings, i had always though you only needed to drop/downtune the top string when getting somethign like Drop C - i guess not?

Thanks again you've all been very helpful!
Yep you're right. Actually, Drop C drops the E string four half steps, and the other strings twice.

You might be thinking of Drop D, which only drops the E string two half steps, and the other strings stay the same
TS, are you totally unable to tune by ear? I mean pressing the 3rd fret of the A string and dropping the E an octave lower is not only simple, it's good ear practice.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
TS, are you totally unable to tune by ear? I mean pressing the 3rd fret of the A string and dropping the E an octave lower is not only simple, it's good ear practice.

I've never really practiced it much, especially since i've bought a tuner. I know i'll need to get used to it some time or other though.

Anyway, this Drop C is my new love, i ****in love it! Picked up a couple easy Hatebreed songs already, Doomsayer and I Will Be Heard.

Cheers dudes!
One more thing. When playing in Drop C, obviously the strings are a lot looser, meaning i get a lot of unnecessary noise of the strings flapping around. How do you fix your guitar up to prevent that? Do you need an entirely new guitar all together?

Thanks a lot guys.

D_TOX.
Nope. All you need is a thicker gauge string. I like to consider a half step down to be an increase of .05 gauge, and up is a decrease of .05 gauge. That would be a .120 or a .125 depending on the gauge you use now.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Well, you could get thicker strings. Or if you do want to get a new bass, get a 35" scale.

OR you could do it like I do (which would still involve you getting a new bass) and tune a 5er up to drop C. Im sure I shouldnt to this, but I dont ever use my 5er anyway and I figured why not...
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500
Ibanez ATK700 (all but sold)
Ashdown Elec. Blue 180 (need something else...)

-Bass Militia- \m/
Last edited by silentdob at Oct 4, 2007,
It's a lot of work if you want it to sound nice. Luckily, I have two basses, so one stays in Drop C and the other in standard. The one that is Drop C, has extremely thick strings (.130 E) and the bridge and truss rod have both been messed with to get it sounding smooth.

So, you could go the route of having your strings "permanently" set up to dropped to C. By that meaning, if you tune it up to standard without readjusting your bridge and neck, you're probably going to break a string, probably your E.
Quote by BlueShox
It's a lot of work if you want it to sound nice. Luckily, I have two basses, so one stays in Drop C and the other in standard. The one that is Drop C, has extremely thick strings (.130 E) and the bridge and truss rod have both been messed with to get it sounding smooth.

So, you could go the route of having your strings "permanently" set up to dropped to C. By that meaning, if you tune it up to standard without readjusting your bridge and neck, you're probably going to break a string, probably your E.

Awesome, okay dude thankyou for the sound advice.

Cheers all for the help... Off to get some new strings!
4th fret to E

or

press flat 4 times

or

use a piano and tune to C

or

online tuners
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?