OKay im looking for an amp to go with a guitar that im going to buy
i want it to be like all round amp that comp with just about anything but not Heavy metal and stuff like that
I want a 15 watt amp and i donno why the UG doesnt like the MG marshall amps
wat exactly are the reasons
and any suggestion for similair priced amps?
i personally have an mg10, i liked it but have now been told that i would get alot better tones out of a roland cube, now am lookin into either the 15x or 20x.
i dont really know wot amps r good so i just took everyones advice
There's no point fearing death, as it is inevitably going to happen

ESP Ltd H-302
Jackson KE3 (for sale)
Schecter Blackhawk
Roland Cube 60
Teh UG doesn't like teh MG's cause they suck for anything other than practicing, but if its a practice amp you're after, they aint bad amps
HOWAYA LUV ;D

BUGERA USERS MILITIA
MGs are overpriced for what they give you (a sterile sounding, mediocre, poorly built amp).

Get a Microcube (not the 15x or the 20x) or a Vox Valvetronix.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
^ Vox Valvetronix aren't anything to write home about without a few upgrades, either.

I use an MG10CD at the church I play at. The clean tone is lifeless and the distortion is buzzy rather than lush/dense. Also, the amp is rather noisy when it's on but nothing is being played through it.
Hi, I'm Peter
Get a Roland Cube (not the 15w version) or a Vox Valvetronix XL. MGs are poor in every way. They don't sound good because they aren't built or designed well. They're designed to make money and noise, nothing more specific than that.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by Dirk Gently
^ Vox Valvetronix aren't anything to write home about without a few upgrades, either.

I use an MG10CD at the church I play at. The clean tone is lifeless and the distortion is buzzy rather than lush/dense. Also, the amp is rather noisy when it's on but nothing is being played through it.

Well I think they are all kind of meh in the first place, but at least the Valvetronix is more versatile .
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by FacingUsAll
Well I think they are all kind of meh in the first place, but at least the Valvetronix is more versatile .
+1, I was surprisingly unimpressed with the Valvetronix, and the Cube medium-gain also sounds pretty digital... Cube has warmer cleans though, I like the Cube better of the two. The Cube has the better best tone of the two, it does the R-Fier thing very well at the price.
Quote by Sepulamb
Wat about the spider III line 6 would you prefer it of the mg?

Yes... but not by much.

It has more versatility, but sounds just as bad. Not too horrible if you're just using it to practice and not cranking it.

It's more suited to high gain music.

Quote by utsapp89
Last edited by FacingUsAll at Oct 2, 2007,
Quote by Sepulamb
Wat about the spider III line 6 would you prefer it of the mg?
The Line 6 Spiders are also pretty crap. Very digital, synthetic and fake sounding. When I tried one using a bridge pickup and with some of the onboard FX, the digital-ness actually made it sound more like a neck pickup
Quote by MrCarrot
+1, I was surprisingly unimpressed with the Valvetronix, and the Cube medium-gain also sounds pretty digital... Cube has warmer cleans though, I like the Cube better of the two. The Cube has the better best tone of the two, it does the R-Fier thing very well at the price.

+1

the vox had a little of that muffledness/muddiness that my avt has, which i hate. not as bad as the avt, and a lot cheaper, but still. Cube can sound a little sterile, but it does the high gain thing very, very well for the price. still, if you don't play metal, the valvetronix is probably better. sounds a bit more like a tube amp... though you wouldn't really confuse it for one either.

Just make sure you avoid the cube 15x and 20x, as they don't have the amp models, which is what you want the cube for in the first place.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by MrCarrot
The Line 6 Spiders are also pretty crap. Very digital, synthetic and fake sounding. When I tried one using a bridge pickup and with some of the onboard FX, the digital-ness actually made it sound more like a neck pickup

haha, yeah. i was trying a strat through one a while back, and on the twang setting (or whatever it's called) it sounded like a tele. I was like wtf?

though, if you're only starting out, that can be good, as you can get a load of different tones from the one instrument. Unfortunately, it does mean it makes the more experienced players dislike it more... and pretty much guarantees you'll grow out of it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've noticed that the Valvetronix takes a lot more dialing in to get something usable than the Cube.

I believe someone around here had some decent success in getting a better tone out of the VT by changing the tube, but don't quote me on that.

I kind of think getting something like a Line 6 Toneport GX would make more sense.
Quote by utsapp89
Last edited by FacingUsAll at Oct 2, 2007,
Quote by Dave_Mc
+1

the vox had a little of that muffledness/muddiness that my avt has, which i hate. not as bad as the avt, and a lot cheaper, but still. Cube can sound a little sterile, but it does the high gain thing very, very well for the price. still, if you don't play metal, the valvetronix is probably better. sounds a bit more like a tube amp... though you wouldn't really confuse it for one either.

Just make sure you avoid the cube 15x and 20x, as they don't have the amp models, which is what you want the cube for in the first place.

I know what you mean about the muffled thing, I found it a bit muddy and lacking a bit of definition, and it definitely does take a lot of dialing in. You can get a good few tones out of it, but if I remember correctly the ADVTs have no real clean channel either ;d

Quote by dave_mc
haha, yeah. i was trying a strat through one a while back, and on the twang setting (or whatever it's called) it sounded like a tele. I was like wtf?

though, if you're only starting out, that can be good, as you can get a load of different tones from the one instrument. Unfortunately, it does mean it makes the more experienced players dislike it more... and pretty much guarantees you'll grow out of it.

I notice that in a lot of digital things, like multi fx - my friend's Heritage Les Paul through a Korg on the bridge pickup, he made it sound like a very digital Frusciante, very strange stuff... He thought it was cool, and annoyingly he's a better player than me, but I had the moral high-ground in that I didn't tell him his tone sucked

And another great guitarist at my school (who runs a DXMG through an avt ) just installed a Dimebucker ;d
yarg, the dimebucker is pretty poor. not as bad as an invader, but that's about it.

in my defence, i didn't really tweak the valvetronix much. I was trying guitars more, but i was taking the opportunity to check out the valvetronix too, and obviously something has to give when you're trying different things...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

And you wanted it to make it sound like a Les Paul through a raging 100 watt Marshall? Seriously, opinions (like mine) aren't worth crap. Play what you like . If you like your Line 6, go for it. They are good amps I think, but take a lot of tweaking, and have a very narrow range in which they sound good. MGs wouldn't be so bad if they weren't over priced. $120 for the MG15DFX and you would all be suggesting it. Its a practice amp, its not trying to sound like a JCM2000.
Quote by CJRocker
And you wanted it to make it sound like a Les Paul through a raging 100 watt Marshall? Seriously, opinions (like mine) aren't worth crap. Play what you like . If you like your Line 6, go for it. They are good amps I think, but take a lot of tweaking, and have a very narrow range in which they sound good. MGs wouldn't be so bad if they weren't over priced. $120 for the MG15DFX and you would all be suggesting it. Its a practice amp, its not trying to sound like a JCM2000.
I'd have assumed he wanted the Strat to sound like a Strat...
Quote by MrCarrot

+1

Quote by CJRocker
MGs wouldn't be so bad if they weren't over priced. $120 for the MG15DFX and you would all be suggesting it.

Other than the fact that it sounds bad and isn't very versatile...

Quote by utsapp89
Quote by MrCarrot

But when it says Twang, what do you think? Its going to be a twangy model that is going to go you that country/tele sound.
Quote by CJRocker
But when it says Twang, what do you think? Its going to be a twangy model that is going to go you that country/tele sound.
Well maybe, bit it should be an amp modeller, not a guitar modeller. It should sound like a Strat through a clean Fender, not a Tele through one...
^ agreed. i'm obviously not expecting it to sound like a boutique amp.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?