Page 1 of 2
Hi again, I have an epiphone thunderbird 4 strings, and I was wondering about the quality of instrument I have. Whats the value in relation with price and the quality. I personally think that its a great bass but I would like to know more opinions. Epiphone its by Gibson as Squier its by Fender, but I really dont think that the quallity of epiphone can compares with squier.
You won't hear much praise of the Thunderbird around here. Poor upper fret access, terrible balance and muddy tone are only a few setbacks, if you like it though then that's what matters.

You're right in saying Epiphone and Squier quality aren't comparable, it's like comparing a Gibson bass to a Fender, the Fender will always be better quality, as will the Squier (save maybe the affinity series).
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
The Thunderbird is perhaps the most hated bass on this forum, and Epiphone is probably the most hated bass company. Gibson basses, and Epiphone basses definitely, are very poorly designed. The Thunderbird bass has a very muddy and unfocused tone (although some people think Fenders are too twangy on their 15W bass amps with 8" speakers). They neck dive horribly and in this day and age it just shouldn't be. Gibson headstocks are also known to be fragile and break (although that can be said about many angled headstocks). There's no reason to own that bass other than you like it. Being unable to play past the 15th fret is ****ing ridiculous and there's simply no reason to do own a bass like that.

Half the camp will say 'well, you like it so that's all that matters' and the other half will say 'well, you like it because you've probably never played a proper bass for any period of time.'

I think all Gibson-designed basses are 'me too!' basses that prove that you simply cannot take a guitar design and apply it to bass and hope it just works out.

/thread
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
Half the camp will say 'well, you like it so that's all that matters' and the other half will say 'well, you like it because you've probably never played a proper bass for any period of time.'

Quote by indie-bassist
...if you like it though then that's what matters.

Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by thefitz
The Thunderbird is perhaps the most hated bass on this forum, and Epiphone is probably the most hated bass company. Gibson basses, and Epiphone basses definitely, are very poorly designed. The Thunderbird bass has a very muddy and unfocused tone (although some people think Fenders are too twangy on their 15W bass amps with 8" speakers). They neck dive horribly and in this day and age it just shouldn't be. Gibson headstocks are also known to be fragile and break (although that can be said about many angled headstocks). There's no reason to own that bass other than you like it. Being unable to play past the 15th fret is ****ing ridiculous and there's simply no reason to do own a bass like that.

I think all Gibson-designed basses are 'me too!' basses that prove that you simply cannot take a guitar design and apply it to bass and hope it just works out.

/thread

Well the balance of the bass its bad i know that.... but i´ve been playing on it throgh 2 years and I just got used to it, i remember that that was just irritating me everytime i played it, but now I dont pay attention to that.... the tone i dont know what it is, but I like something ín it that sounds nice for me. Its really a bass that rocks....But of course it depends too on the strings quality. The ones that it came with sounded horribly muddy.... I just changed them for Elixir strings....
And what you sayd about that I probably never played a proper bass for any period of time.... well... I dont konw I have an american deluxe jazz bass I know that the sound it can not be compared with each other. I use my epiphone just if I know that its dangerous to use my fender =)
About the upper freets, again its something that I god used to, that bass just make a better bass player because its really hard to play on it maybe in the begining...

PS. I have played 7 years of bass.
Last edited by Daniel333 at Oct 2, 2007,
Quote by Daniel333
Well the balance of the bass its bad i know that.... but i´ve been playing on it throgh 2 years and I just got used to it, i remember that that was just irritating me everytime i played it, but now I dont pay attention to that.... the tone i dont know what it is, but I like something ín it that sounds nice for me. Its really a bass that rocks.... And what you sayd about that I probably never played a proper bass for any period of time.... well... I dont konw I have an american deluxe jazz bass I know that the sound it can not be compared with each other. I use my epiphone just if I know that its dangerous to use my fender =)
About the upper freets, again its something that I god used to, that bass just make a better bass player because its really hard to play on it maybe in the begining...

They aren't to bad of basses in my opinion, I really don't like the sound of a P-bass at all though, Jazz I can get away with, but I'm more of a EB/MM person.
Epiphone/Gibson aren't to bad for basses in the end either, the SG Basses are quite nice, same goes for their semi acoustic basses.

p.s.
Take 7 years of grammar too.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Quote by Kingyem0c0re
They aren't to bad of basses in my opinion, I really don't like the sound of a P-bass at all though, Jazz I can get away with, but I'm more of a EB/MM person.
Epiphone/Gibson aren't to bad for basses in the end either, the SG Basses are quite nice, same goes for their semi acoustic basses.

p.s.

LMAO on the last bit there, but all Gibsons have horribly muddy, and unfocused tone. The pickups make the speakers flap, but you'll barely be able to hear when one note ends and the other begins.

And TS, let me get this straight - you own an American Deluxe Fender but still play an Epi T-Bird? Are you trying to induce a Fitz heartattack? What is this world coming to?

Anyway, from your description, it sounds like you've 'settled' for the Thunderbird. The horrible horrible things about it you got used to like partners of an abusive couple. In this day and age, a bass should have great fret access and good balance out of the box. Period. Getting 'used to' things like balance, fret access and tone says more about you than it does about the bass. Basses are a tool, you shouldn't have to settle for things.

And for the record, you've been playing, oh, twice as long as I have. As soon as I got my American Deluxe Fender, I gave my first bass, a Squier Jazz tuned BEAD, to the homeless.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I've been playing the Thunderbird for almost a year now and I find that the balance and 17+ frets are bitches, but im too poor to get a new bass, and to be honest, i like it. I don't really have any issues with the sound. And when i try other basses now i find that they're too short and don't find them comfortable. Maybe that's just me, but to be honest i don't give a crap what you guys think, it's my bass, and i like it, so whatever.
Last edited by BobSlay at Oct 3, 2007,
Thunderbirds are a big "love-it-or-hate-it" thing. I'd say most people would prefer a good Fender, but Thunderbirds have their own devout following. I like them alot, personally, but I can't deny they have some design flaws. The balance and fret access being chief among them. Balance on the Epis can be fixed by drilling a new strap button in the heel of the neck and a good strap, but fret access past 18 is kinda annoying (I don't know why people are saying 15, I can get to 18 without any problem whatsoever).

Some don't like the tone, but that's a matter of taste.
IMO the thunderbird is a horrible design. I won't repeat all the things fitzy said (and I agree with), but I'll answer TS's question.

An Epi thunderbird, in great condition, you might get 200 from some very silly little boy. In fair, less than that. 150 or less. So really you wont make much money out of it. Quite plainly, Epi basses are beaten by many basses of similar price range, so the only selling point is the ZOMG J1MMY PAG3 US3S GIBSON SO T3H EP1 1S AW3SOOMNESS!!!111ELEVEN
Quote by Daniel333
Well the balance of the bass its bad i know that.... but i´ve been playing on it throgh 2 years and I just got used to it, i remember that that was just irritating me everytime i played it, but now I dont pay attention to that.... the tone i dont know what it is, but I like something ín it that sounds nice for me. Its really a bass that rocks....But of course it depends too on the strings quality. The ones that it came with sounded horribly muddy.... I just changed them for Elixir strings....
And what you sayd about that I probably never played a proper bass for any period of time.... well... I dont konw I have an american deluxe jazz bass I know that the sound it can not be compared with each other. I use my epiphone just if I know that its dangerous to use my fender =)

If you've played bass for 7 years, AND own an Am-Deluxe Jazz, WHY DO YOU PLAY AN EPI T-BIRD
I'm building a T-bird of my own...with a slightly deeper horn valley for better reach, and I may put lead weights in the body to counteract any neckdive (which isn't too bad at any rate).

*dances*
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
I'll have to fall in with the hate-it crowd here... I love that body shape as a guitar, but it's just absurd as a bass. There are many better basses out there for the price of a Thunderbird. You got suckered in, so good luck finding a foolish small person to flog it to!
How may The National D help you waste your time?
Quote by Daniel333

7 years of bass and you learn.... not alot
Led Zeppelin
Quote by Daniel333

I demand soundclips!!! and I also demand the sounclip from the guy that said that Tommy the Cat was a really easy song for a beginner and he played it very easily.
I have a Thunder bird myself
WORST BASS CHOICE EVER.
Jesus christ, that thing is terrible. It's so heavy..
When i'm playing it, I think to myself, WHY DO I NOT HAVE A NEW BASS?
The muddy tones, the terrible balance, and the terrible " you can't reach any of the high frets". I really wish I knew what i was going to buy instead of that piece of garbage.
Stupid look. And Stupid first bass. TERRIBLE.
I fall into the "why bother camp"--big neck dive, bad action, upper fret issues, and poor quality compared to comparably priced instruments.

The only thing that would be worse in my opinion than owning a Epi Tbird would be to own a Epi T-Bird and a Behringer amp.
Quote by thefitz
LMAO on the last bit there, but all Gibsons have horribly muddy, and unfocused tone. The pickups make the speakers flap, but you'll barely be able to hear when one note ends and the other begins.

And TS, let me get this straight - you own an American Deluxe Fender but still play an Epi T-Bird? Are you trying to induce a Fitz heartattack? What is this world coming to?

Anyway, from your description, it sounds like you've 'settled' for the Thunderbird. The horrible horrible things about it you got used to like partners of an abusive couple. In this day and age, a bass should have great fret access and good balance out of the box. Period. Getting 'used to' things like balance, fret access and tone says more about you than it does about the bass. Basses are a tool, you shouldn't have to settle for things.

And for the record, you've been playing, oh, twice as long as I have. As soon as I got my American Deluxe Fender, I gave my first bass, a Squier Jazz tuned BEAD, to the homeless.

Umm, quick question here, what would the homeless do with a bass? I don't know maybe they would like it, seems a little odd. Just think it over.

Anyway, T-birds are bad, they just are. I tried one and hated it, I couldn't wait to put it down.
Quote by thefitz

/thread

*starts a slow clap*
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Umm, quick question here, what would the homeless do with a bass? I don't know maybe they would like it, seems a little odd. Just think it over.

Anyway, T-birds are bad, they just are. I tried one and hated it, I couldn't wait to put it down.

Long story short, a large homeless shelter got a large donation for a music program. I knew I'd never use the bass again, so I decided to help the cause along myself.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
sooo all in all the fitz has done a good thing by giving th homeless a half decent bass whereas the thread starter would just be supplying them with firewood in the shape of POS t-bird
I am me. Live with it.
Quote by thefitz
Long story short, a large homeless shelter got a large donation for a music program. I knew I'd never use the bass again, so I decided to help the cause along myself.

So he does have a soft spot.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
So he does have a soft spot.

Leave my stomach out of this...
Quote by Cody_Grey102
theres nothing wrong with thunderbirds - yeah beginners shouldnt ever start bass playing with one but if you're good on bass and can deal with the problems that come with a neck heavy bass then why not? I'm getting a goth thunderbird bass for xmas and cant wait - they have such a heavy tone thats great for loud,deep basslines and they have a great look aswell - yeah its ghey that you cant access the higher frets very well but you cant always have everything....Thunderbirds are awesome.
With 200 dollars, you can buy a much better bass instead of that terrible thunderbird. You could probably find a cheap mexican fender bass someone is willing to sell. And that, is much bettter then a Thunderbird. I don't care if you like it or not, it's a terrible bass.
Quote by JoeyDengler
theres nothing wrong with thunderbirds - yeah beginners shouldnt ever start bass playing with one but if you're good on bass and can deal with the problems that come with a neck heavy bass then why not? I'm getting a goth thunderbird bass for xmas and cant wait - they have such a heavy tone thats great for loud,deep basslines and they have a great look aswell - yeah its ghey that you cant access the higher frets very well but you cant always have everything....Thunderbirds are awesome.

Balance, tone, fret access. Every single bass, even $100 basses, should have some element of all 3 of these things. OK, if the fretwork is rough and the finish is fragile, you're right, you can't have everything. Not having balance, tone and fret access is like not having shoes (balance - get it? Feet?), pants (fret access - Access? Genitles? Get it?), and a shirt (tone). Some people like going shirtless every now and then, but you can't walk around everywhere in your underwear.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I have one, and it's not as horrible as you all say it is. Half of you who say it sucks probably have never played one. The tone IS solid and and it doesn't dive that much. I'm 5'1" and I don't have that big of a problem with the neck diving. It's worth the money to get one but I think is someone were to think about getting it, they should play one first.
Quote by Joe-Fish
I have one, and it's not as horrible as you all say it is. Half of you who say it sucks probably have never played one. The tone IS solid and and it doesn't dive that much. I'm 5'1" and I don't have that big of a problem with the neck diving. It's worth the money to get one but I think is someone were to think about getting it, they should play one first.

I don't want to pick a fight or anything but I have played one for a great length. Your height has nothing to do with neck-dive. The Thunderbird is the 4th worst tone I've ever heard (5 - Gibson EB-2, 4 - T-Bird, 3 - Hofner Violin Bass, 2 - Gibson EB-O, 1 - Fretless Gibson EB-1).

Let's not forge that the 'Bird design works well for guitar. Hell, I own an Epi Mandobird VIII. That said, I'm definitely not talking out of my ass about this.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
take it easy guys..... everybody has different meanings about this bass, some like it, and some other dont. Respect each other instead of saying that the one who dont agree its wrong and dont even has experience on bass. I respect the fact that many of you dont like that bass, and thats ok. I love it, and thats ok.
Quote by Daniel333
take it easy guys..... everybody has different meanings about this bass, some like it, and some other dont. Respect each other instead of saying that the one who dont agree its wrong and dont even has experience on bass. I respect the fact that many of you dont like that bass, and thats ok. I love it, and thats ok.

You're not summarizing a thread you started are you? Not one that you asked for people's opinions, right? No, that's impossible, right?

I like these forums because you can discuss and disagree and not worry about keeping up too many appearances. Sure, there are tonnes of flame-dodgers who're more than willing to say "Oh, wow *insert username here*, you're so great, I love your comment! You're the best!", but those that don't should be able to disagree without having people claim the sky is falling and that there's a moral to this thread.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
You're not summarizing a thread you started are you? Not one that you asked for people's opinions, right? No, that's impossible, right?

I like these forums because you can discuss and disagree and not worry about keeping up too many appearances. Sure, there are tonnes of flame-dodgers who're more than willing to say "Oh, wow *insert username here*, you're so great, I love your comment! You're the best!", but those that don't should be able to disagree without having people claim the sky is falling and that there's a moral to this thread.

I just read what peoples opinions are and found out that the conclution is:
DONT TALK ABOUT A THUNDERBIRD IN THIS FORUMS!!

I dont feel ashamed about having that bass, its just my work horse....
Quote by brentonkim
I have a Thunder bird myself
WORST BASS CHOICE EVER.
Jesus christ, that thing is terrible. It's so heavy..
When i'm playing it, I think to myself, WHY DO I NOT HAVE A NEW BASS?
The muddy tones, the terrible balance, and the terrible " you can't reach any of the high frets". I really wish I knew what i was going to buy instead of that piece of garbage.
Stupid look. And Stupid first bass. TERRIBLE.

Can i ask why you bought it if you dislike it so much? Surely you tried it before you bought it. tut tut
yeah yeah.
bad choice
tut tut me.
i read the reviews, before i came to this extremley awesome forum.
and they said it was pretty decent.
so i was like, hey, why not.

and to the people above
are you kidding me?
THE DIVE IS TERRIBLE.
how bout we just drop the T-bird issue lol we know they are **** the neck dive is horrible the upper fret access is worse....

we should make a never mention these basses list
I am me. Live with it.
Quote by DeAd-RiP
how bout we just drop the T-bird issue lol we know they are **** the neck dive is horrible the upper fret access is worse....

we should make a never mention these basses list

Obviously you've never been around when people start talking about Behringer amps either.
omg LMAO ive got a T-Bird and i NEARLY bought a behringer amp, i would be extremely loved here im sure...rightthen, my personal OPINION (and thats what all of your comments have been, your OWN opinion) is that i have NOT made a mistake in buying it, i love the sound it throws out through my GORGEUS ashdown minirig. the neckdive is something you get used to after playing it over time, i cant comment on the fret issue cus my hands are huge and i can reach them. but this bass really is a good looker and sounds brilliant.
Quote by CurbstompBass
Thunderbirds are a big "love-it-or-hate-it" thing. I'd say most people would prefer a good Fender, but Thunderbirds have their own devout following. I like them alot, personally, but I can't deny they have some design flaws. The balance and fret access being chief among them. Balance on the Epis can be fixed by drilling a new strap button in the heel of the neck and a good strap, but fret access past 18 is kinda annoying (I don't know why people are saying 15, I can get to 18 without any problem whatsoever).

Some don't like the tone, but that's a matter of taste.

We call those people Motley Crue fans
Quote by Kingyem0c0re

p.s.

Uh maybe you should take 7 years of grammar...
Rhythm Harmony Melody
Quote by thefitz

true,true.

guess ill be selling by t-bird to buy a diffrent bass come christmas.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Page 1 of 2