Well ive been rockin on my valve junior copy(Harley benton ga5) for a couple of weeks now and its great but at higher volumes, its rattling quite noticeably. I really am struggling to tell what exactly it is but its definitely hear able, though its not exactly at bedroom volumes its especially audible when playing the A# note. Any idea what could be rattling in the amp?
Is it the combo? Are you sure it's rattling? It might be the speaker breakup - my Valve Junior combo has this horrible speaker breakup, it sounds like rattling. Does it only do it after about 1 o'clock volume? It may well be the speaker. It becomes less harsh but still unpleasant after it breaks in. Which, unfortunately, takes about 6 months.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
I know this sounds like a joke but check the room you are playing in for vibrating objects like picture frames, lamps, etc. I spent two months being pissed cause I thought my amp was rattling, it was my practice amp and never left the room. After a lot of frustration I finally tracked down the problem to a damn hanging picture.
I guess I shouldn't advertise my denseness. You'd think a guy my age would know better. Oh well. Learn something every day.
And +1 to the speaker break-in.
Yes its the combo but
i dont think its speaker breakup, its more direct and its very pronounced on that one frequency(A# note) which suggests that something in the amp with the same natural frequency is rattling with it. Youre right about the volume though, only happens at higher levels.

Maybe something is just not glued together properly to suppress possible rattling and thats causing it.. Or could it be the tubes? ive heard of combo amps having tube rattle.

And its definitely inside the amp. Some frequencies cause my amp to rattle other objects in the room too(like the small metal bits that hold the curtains to the ceiling) but thats kinda hard to eliminate
Last edited by 1337void at Oct 2, 2007,
Quote by 1337void
Yes its the combo but
i dont think its speaker breakup, its more direct and its very pronounced on that one frequency(A# note) which suggests that something in the amp with the same natural frequency is rattling with it. Youre right about the volume though, only happens at higher levels.

Maybe something is just not glued together properly to suppress possible rattling and thats causing it.. Or could it be the tubes? ive heard of combo amps having tube rattle
Okey doke. First, try sitting it on an isolated, damping object and then try playing it to see if it's anything in your room rattling. A bed would be ideal. If it's rattling, look inside, make sure all the screws are tight, make sure the valves are pushed in and that's all you can do really..

Just make sure you don't go poking around with the screwdriver too much. 450v isn't a nice number.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.