Hi,

Got a noobish question and would be really glad to hear the answer from you: How to make good harmonics for the riff, I mean stuff like Iron Maiden uses for example in The Trooper in interlude after the intro, u know I mean, there are two (now even three) guitars playing the same theme using different notes, but the whole thing sounds gr8 together...I would like to use such stuff in couple of my songs, how to make it?
Thx in advance, looking forward to hearing it from you,
Cheers
many of them i think just use a clean version and a distorted version at the same time. Like for example, Iron Man by Ozzy, there is a clean way to play it and a distorted way to play it, but you play it at the same time, Simple man, it has a slightly distorted and clean version played at one point in the song at the same time. and then you just have to come up with a little riff to add in there that sounds right. but if i were you i wouldnt worry bout trying to get it to sound like other bands, i would just try to create something yourself that sounds like you and only you. i hope i helped you because i think thats what you were asking, sorry if i missed the questioin or if i wasnt any help
i think you mean harmony, not harmonic
"Marty Friedman > You" Club.

Quote by CoreysMonster

Buy the toilet Hendrix crapped in for the full "Jimi Hendrix Experience"

PM me if you think my drummer looks like angry kid

so far 61 people think he looks like angry kid
Indeed, harmony. Let's say you have a lick in Aminor that goes A B D C (notes, not chords, yeah it's a pretty crappy lick). Choose an interval (usualy a third or sixth sounds good) and just add that number to all of the notes in the lick.

In our example the notes are the 1th 2nd 4th and 3rd note of the scale, when we choose a third interval we thus have to add 2 notes to everything for the second guitar. So that would make the 3th 4th 6th and 5th notes in the scale which would be C D F E.

Our harmony in third interval would be:

guitar 1: A B D C
guitar 2: C D F E

Hopes this makes sense, it's a bit chaotic, but hey it's late...
^
What he means is adding scale tones. You add from the 1st two scale tones to make a third, which would be A-C. If you played the A minor scale and wanted to harmonize the whole thing, it would go:

A - B - C - D - E - F - G - A
1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8
C - D - E - F - G - A - B - C

You'll notice that the Am scale harmonized in thirds is the C major scale, because Am is the relative minor to C major. If you did it in 6ths, you would get this:

A - B - C - D - E - F - G - A
1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8
F - G - A - B - C - D - E - F

What you're doing is playing a third, or a sixth, above whatever note is being played in the scale. If you look at A and then count up 6 notes, you will arrive at F. If you count up three notes, you will arrive at C. Make sense?

This doesn't mean that you're limited only to 3rds and 6ths. You can do 5ths if you want to. Just as long as it's pleasing to your ears and sounds the way that you want it to sound. A good example of harmonized 5ths is in the Bullet For My Valentine song "All These Things I Hate." The riff that they play at the end of the chorus is done in fifths.

Hope I helped. If I ****ed up anywhere in here, someone let me know, but this is how it was taught to me, so this is how I'll explain it.
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)