On my prs the sound can be a bit wooly for want of a better word. I don't want to mess up my sound and risk it getting worse but when I hit a note particularly on the 6th E string it sounds very wooly, can someone offer advice as to whther raising the hight of the pickups would help this.

Thanks
Just do it.

Pickup heights and pole piece heights are adjustable for a reason

I'm not quite sure what "wooly" means though.

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
I'm assuming by wooly you mean muddled and somewhat distorted. It's because the pickup is too close to the string. Slant it so that it's slightly lower under the thicker three strings, and leave it as is on the high end strings. It'll take care of your problem. Peace.
It's like that because the closer the magentic field of the pickups are to the strings, the louder it becomes, and eventually it becomes distorted and muddy, often mimicking the sound of clipping. Lower it, you'll be fine.
It is pretty low as it is tho, thats the only thing.
Fender Texas Special Strat
PRS SE Singlecut
Jim Dunlop Cry Baby
Vox VT30
Lower the middle polepieces?
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
lower the poles. if that doesn't work, the pickups might be messed up. have it checked if dropping them doesn't work.