For one of my classes, we have a term paper and the topic I chose is Violence, Racism, and Religion in Death and Black metal. First off, do you think I could get a 12 page paper out of this topic? Second, what would be some good sources to draw from? I'd preferebly want primary sources- sources with information directly from musicians.
yes you can get 12 pages out of that, but it would probably be best to do it on music in general as apposed to just black/ death metal.
I doubt many college proffesors are familar with black and death metal.
Remember to include NSBM.
Quote by 'rockintheblues 14, 2007 2:38 am'
but i really do hate you and hope you and everyone you love is killed in the worst possible ways. i hope i get to spit in your eyes as you let out your final breath
Sources for this stuff are hard to come by. I was going to do the same exact essay last semester, but I couldnt find anything that wasnt incredibly biased information.

I guess you could look for black metal artists opinions on the internet, but I don't know how your professor would take internet sources. Maybe you could find interviews on some metal magazines or video interviews.

Lords of Chaos: The Bloody Rise of the Satanic Metal Underground was the only book I could find on this kind of stuff, but I needed so much citing and sources, that I gave up and did my report on video game violence.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4U33U_UyzQ

This the first part of a pretty decent documentary on Black Metal especially about Gorgoroth and Gaahl including some of his beliefs. You can find the remaining 4 parts on youtube. Pretty Interesting stuff and definitely useful for your project.

EDIT: Quote directly from Gaahl at the end of the first part "Christianity is based only on stolen souls and lives...ahh...so, of course, every trace of them should be erased."
Quote by mcw00t
"so you mean if the father is sterile, the kid will be sterile too?"

Proof God exists and evolution is a lie:
Quote by elguitarrista3
the prove is u because u did n create urself and ur parents dindt and their parents didnt and so on and we are not monkeys peace

Last edited by Rust_in_Peace34 at Oct 2, 2007,
Quote by blarnbatt
yes you can get 12 pages out of that, but it would probably be best to do it on music in general as apposed to just black/ death metal.
I doubt many college proffesors are familar with black and death metal.

This is the worst idea possible. Every English teacher and professor I have had wanted me to be as specific as possible with my papers. Generalaties are something English professors hate. English professors want you to write about something fresh and exotic..it doesnt matter as long as you make it understandable. Writing this paper should be easier if you have a lot of metal magazines and DVDs around. You can usually check out band sites as well...since you are doing black metal, I am sure Varg Vikernes' site should be helpful.
...am I going to be the first person to mention Varg Vikernes?

If you want a bloody history, look at Mayhem and Burzum. Check out Burzum's site.

I'll have a friend of mine tell me some more bands, he's really into this sort of stuff, church-burnings, cult murdering, etc... in black metal and death metal.

Other stuff, I don't remember if it will help, but Bang Your Head: The Rise and Fall of Heavy Metal by David Konnow talks about some pretty weird sh*t as well. I could also check Questia for you, but not right now.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Read Lords of Chaos. Its a very good account on Black Metal.

Im doing a National History Day thing on Metal.
Quote by tarlkea
When I say offensive I mean offensive like dressing up as superman in a wheel chair offensive, not penis suit offensive.
Lyrical content, possibly?

Hey guys! I just started playing electric guitar should I get a Gabson Lay Pall or a Femdor Startokaster. I like the picks on the gabsons but i like how sweet femdors look. Beforre i get a gabson what company makes them?
Quote by Hostile87
I am sure Varg Vikernes' site should be helpful.

Exactly what I was going suggest. Maybe check out some of his interviews, if they seem to be credible and valid sources.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
The popular documentary "Metal: A Headbangers Journey" covers a few parts about Black and Death Metal, Sam Dunn goes to Europe and explores it.

The documentary has a few musicians from these black metal bands talking about it, mainly the event of a series of church burnings. One of the priests also has his opinion on it. ....And Alice Cooper

Part 8 (a bit about christianity, the roots of Death metal)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbw2cZZR-4k

Part 9 (this has more on what you want, it talks about the church burnings and other crimes by Black Metal artists in Norway)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8n9p5uC4fEE&mode=related&search=

part 10 (and heres some more about the social impact of death/black metal)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4IOZppZhIU&mode=related&search=
Last edited by Mattmakesmetal at Oct 3, 2007,
You could write 12 pages on Burzum alone, let alone two entire genres of metal.

By the by, is it 12 pages single or double-spaced?
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Quote by Firenze
You could write 12 pages on Burzum alone, let alone two entire genres of metal.

By the by, is it 12 pages single or double-spaced?

I think double, so its no problem. I was actually considering doing the entire paper on Varg, but decided against it. Thanks for all the help, guys.
I'm doing a 10 minute speech on metal and I need 2 book sources. Anyone got any ideas (apart from Lords of Chaos)? I just need ONE other book on metal.

Oh and is Metal : A headbanger's journey ENTIRELY on youtube?
Marduk (completely anti christian, so if you need some stuff on the go look at lyrics and interviews, etc.), Gorgoroth, Burzum, the list goes on.

And if you need some Death Metal stuff, go look at lyrics of Cannibal Corpse. Although, I think Black metal has a lot more negative stuff you can find on it, because death metal isn't really satanic, just has gruesome lyrics usually about killing and stuff like that.