So i was in my bass lesson, and my teacher noticed i was in a bit of pain. So he got out this little piece and asked me toplay through it. I got about half way through before having to stop. He said that I had what looked like the first stages of tendinitis, and said that i shouldn't play for a while.

So I've had to cancel some band practices, and not play bass for a while.

Having looked at my hand position, he said there is nothing wrong with it, but he said that excessive practice can cause tendinitis to. Considering i play about 2-3 hours a day non-stop, this is probably it.

So there we go; warm-up and take breaks, or you wont be able play.
Sorry to hear about that. Might be worth seeing a doctor so to get some anti-imflammatories if you haven't already.
Quote by shut_up_you_***
Sorry to hear about that. Might be worth seeing a doctor so to get some anti-imflammatories if you haven't already.

That's always been my biggest fear. If something prevents me from using my hands, I'll literally have nothing to do, music or otherwise. 'Cept sing.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
before i practice i pop a few asprin. and since most of my band are smokers anyway, ever little bit or so we all take a little break and go have a cig or somethin.
GAS List:
Nothing
Quote by thefitz
That's always been my biggest fear. If something prevents me from using my hands, I'll literally have nothing to do, music or otherwise. 'Cept sing.

Just do what Keith Richards did when the arthritis set in. His finger joints are permanently fused into shape, I swear. All he has to do is slot a guitar in between his index finger and thumb.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Quote by Caustic
Just do what Keith Richards did when the arthritis set in. His finger joints are permanently fused into shape, I swear. All he has to do is slot a guitar in between his index finger and thumb.

Don't they play in open tuning though? It's not really applicable to a bass. Also, pain in arthritis comes from bending the joint, not applying pressure, which is what hurts if you have tendonitis.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
good luck man

just warm up and warm down. thats what i had to do when i got upper arm play also playing in the classical position helps ( yes i play bass in classical position. )
gear.

Schecter Loomis sig.
Engl fireball.
the highest.

CANNABIZZLE

Lets blaze, put this in your sig if you want to get high.
I had tendonitis AND carpal tunnel both at the same time in my left wrist for several months. It sucked, my wrist was swollen and just a mess. The doctor said I was playing too much (at least 4 hours a day) and my wrist was a bit too bent because I have large hands. It's the reason I hold my bass up high now. However, I got to wear a splint while playing so I could pretend I was Jonny Greenwood or something, but with the other wrist :]

but yeah good luck and I hope it doesn't get any worse!!
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
I had tendinitis recently, it sucks not being able to play bass for a while but it'd suck alot more if you couldn't play bass again.
Those who have crossed
With direct eyes, to death's other Kingdom
Remember us - if at all - not as lost
Violent souls, but only
As the hollow men
The stuffed men.
Quote by Flummery
before i practice i pop a few asprin.

woah! thats about the worst thing you can do! if you do that, you'll get hurt, becuase you can't feel when you're pushing your joints too hard, like you normally can. that's one of the best ways to pick up an injury!
Yeah i had that in my ankle before it sucks and takes a couple weeks to go away. Rest it and feel better man
Whitest Kid U' Know of the Bass Militia
PM Dinky Daisy to join

Originally posted by Civildp1
I can't drink tequila anymore. it makes me do terrible things. Terrible naked things.
Quote by MattPerson911
Yeah i had that in my ankle before it sucks and takes a couple weeks to go away. Rest it and feel better man

Well, at least you had it in your ankle before it started sucking. If it affects your bass playing, it sucks as soon as you get it.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Last edited by thefitz at Oct 3, 2007,
Quote by thefitz
Well, at least you had it in your ankle before it started sucking. If it affects your bass playing, it sucks as soon as you get it.

Well dude this was back when I ran cross country, so i had to miss every practice and every meet till it healed properly
Whitest Kid U' Know of the Bass Militia
PM Dinky Daisy to join

Originally posted by Civildp1
I can't drink tequila anymore. it makes me do terrible things. Terrible naked things.
Quote by MattPerson911
Well dude this was back when I ran cross country, so i had to miss every practice and every meet till it healed properly

I think you missed the stupid joke I made about your punctuation (read the highlit part I quoted as if it were it's own sentence), but that sucks. I'd go nuts if some injury prevented me from doing something for extended periods of time.
Quote by Cody_Grey102